Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby fromthebench » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Real Mainuh's are quite loyal and would consider it an honor to come back and represent the home state. The carpetbagging folks from away wouldn't understand. :)
fromthebench
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:30 pm

fromthebench wrote:Real Mainuh's are quite loyal and would consider it an honor to come back and represent the home state. The carpetbagging folks from away wouldn't understand. :)


fromthebench" Amen on that. Does that also include folks using user names and hiding behind them too on MBR about honor and loyalty?
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10849
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:48 pm

Don't worry, I'm extremely loyal to our state.
But, I'm also a realist.

Any coach's job is just that: a job, a profession.

Money isn't everything, but it's a big part of one's working life. So, too, is security and the opportunity for advancement.

As usual, bcbc55 doesn't have a clue about college basketball.

D3 coaches traditionally get paid in the $50k to $70K range. Again, I could find out absolutely what Walsh was getting, if you insist.
Here's the reality: The head coach of the women's program at Rhode Island College is paid $25K. And, yes,it's a full-time position.
So an estimate of $70K for Walsh at RIC is probably on the high side.

Walsh currently makes $120K, base salary, this season. Pretty sizable jump.

I don't know what Markwood thinks. Neither do you, bcbc55.

When Markwood was an assistant at Vermont, he was NOT making more money than Walsh got. Assistants in AE are woefully underpaid relative to higher levels (and, the CAA is a decidedly higher level). Best guess: $65K, $70K at Vermont, at most.
And, who says he applied to Maine back then? What he did was to interact with Maine. Could very easily have been the other way around ... that they contacted him.

And, why, if he is such a great coach, did the process not extend beyond a skype session? I could easily be that, when Markwood heard particulars he was the one who opted not to continue to pursue the position.

Again, we don't know. What we can do is make "educated assumptions," not ones based on bcbc55's view that loyalty trumps money and job security.

The facts are that Markwood probably makes a lot more as Northeastern's associate head coach than what Maine would be willing to offer.

The other fact is that Maine could very well be career suicide. Any coach that comes here and fails won't ever be considered for another Division 1 head coaching job.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:50 pm

bcbc55.
Do names/identity matter?
What matters is intelligent commentary, insight,perspective and credibility.
But, when you continue to be proven to lack any of that, you ALWAYS come back to "reveal your identity."

We all know your name.
And, we all know that you know very little about college basketball.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:bcbc55.
Do names/identity matter?
What matters is intelligent commentary, insight,perspective and credibility.
But, when you continue to be proven to lack any of that, you ALWAYS come back to "reveal your identity."

We all know your name.
And, we all know that you know very little about college basketball.


19: And who is we??????.....just you and TAL1957 so far.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10849
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Who is "we?"

We all know your name. You tell us not only your name, but your credentials as a high school coach against very mediocre competition, in a relative sense compared to what's out there beyond the confines of our state, at every opportunity.

You tell us about strategies that might have worked 40 years ago, but don't work now.

As TAL1957 says: Your posts are all about Bob, all the time.

I also think "we" is just about everyone who knows anything about college basketball.

We need look no further than your contention that UMaine should have at least 8, and as many as 12, players from our state on the roster every year.
We could go on and on. But, that one is more than enough evidence.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby bbbfan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Ryan Bernstein did a great job last year. He was first or second in the American east conference in assist to turnover ratio Walsh brought in 6-7 new kids can you tell me which or any of them had stats so far as good as Ryan did
bbbfan
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:10 pm

bbbfan wrote:Ryan Bernstein did a great job last year. He was first or second in the American east conference in assist to turnover ratio Walsh brought in 6-7 new kids can you tell me which or any of them had stats so far as good as Ryan did



bbbfan: Thanks for supporting Ryan. It sure is not Arajuo who has been starting and he is a JUCO junior transfer where Ryan was a true walk on soph last year and earned a scholarship. He played 40 minutes in several games and never gave up. I wouldn't want to win so bad that I overlooked loyalty at any level of basketball be it middle school thru to the NB (Not Basketball Anymore) League. WWalsh had scholarships available he just didn't have one for Ryan.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10849
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby fromthebench » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Bernstein was their best point guard and he had no scholarship. And yet some would tell us that we should keep giving scholarships to out of state players because D1 coaches know best. Bernstein was a one or two star recruit, (not as good as Moss) and he started for Maine. I think it's the responsibility of the Head Coach at any university to recruit and give scholarships to the best players they can get. Such as Bernstein.

Since we've only had one out of state player in the last 20 years who averaged double digits in points and stayed four years. I'd say give one or two scholarships a year to an in state player with D2 interest. Our D2 players tend to be starters/all-americans on NCAA tournament teams and history has shown that in state players with D2 interest and no out of state D1 offers have been the most consistent offensive performers at Maine. (long list) That puts 4 to 6 D2 caliber Mainers (with good offensive skills) on your roster. You then have 7-9 scholarships left over to get an unskilled big man, an athletic defender who can't shoot, a Juco transfer from a small southern school or an undersized forward who can score, to fill out your team. Plus a couple walk-ons. Unless Maine lucks into an overlooked late bloomer from Maine, that is the best you are going to do.

Out of state kids have far more loyalty to their AAU coaches then they will ever have to our university. If a kid comes up here and is getting playing time and putting up reasonable numbers (whether we win or not) their AAU coach is out shopping them to better programs. Bank on it! Unless you have the money to hire the AAU coaches as assistants (we don't) you got no chance to keep those kids. Rather than attacking my plan, I'd love to hear someone detail a better plan. I'm more than willing to listen.
fromthebench
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm

fromthebench wrote:Bernstein was their best point guard and he had no scholarship. And yet some would tell us that we should keep giving scholarships to out of state players because D1 coaches know best. Bernstein was a one or two star recruit, (not as good as Moss) and he started for Maine. I think it's the responsibility of the Head Coach at any university to recruit and give scholarships to the best players they can get. Such as Bernstein.

Since we've only had one out of state player in the last 20 years who averaged double digits in points and stayed four years. I'd say give one or two scholarships a year to an in state player with D2 interest. Our D2 players tend to be starters/all-americans on NCAA tournament teams and history has shown that in state players with D2 interest and no out of state D1 offers have been the most consistent offensive performers at Maine. (long list) That puts 4 to 6 D2 caliber Mainers (with good offensive skills) on your roster. You then have 7-9 scholarships left over to get an unskilled big man, an athletic defender who can't shoot, a Juco transfer from a small southern school or an undersized forward who can score, to fill out your team. Plus a couple walk-ons. Unless Maine lucks into an overlooked late bloomer from Maine, that is the best you are going to do.

Out of state kids have far more loyalty to their AAU coaches then they will ever have to our university. If a kid comes up here and is getting playing time and putting up reasonable numbers (whether we win or not) their AAU coach is out shopping them to better programs. Bank on it! Unless you have the money to hire the AAU coaches as assistants (we don't) you got no chance to keep those kids. Rather than attacking my plan, I'd love to hear someone detail a better plan. I'm more than willing to listen.


fromthebench: Couldn't agree more fromthebench. Good supportive post of what I have been saying for the past 8 years. Until someone tries this approach and then we know the results then nobdy not even Maine19fan can predict the future doing what we think should be tried. After all last winning season was 8 years ago starting 3 Mainers in 2009-10 when they went 19-10 and could have had 5 Maine starters if 2 had not left the team as a junior and a senior.

This season Maine could have had 6'9" Mayo, 6'10"Cimino, 6'7" Fleming, 6'8" McDevitt, 6'6" Z. Gilpin, 6'6" Bouchard, 6'1" Coyne, 6'4" Hudson to go along with 6'0" Calixe, 6'6' Er, 6'6" White and 6'9" Antoms plus 2 walk on tryout candidates to fill the roster AND DO NO WORSE THEN WHAT HAS HAPPENED SO FAR THIS YEAR.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10849
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests