Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby SMAA » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:53 am

I think they should hire Bob Cimbollek as the next coach of the men's basketball team. Give him 5 years to turn the program around and I think he'll get it done.
SMAA

Re: Next New Coach For UMaine Mens Basketball

Postby Maine19Fan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:08 am

YESSSS!!!!
That's the solution!

One positive, though: If ol' 55 became Maine's head coach he wouldn't be posting in this forum any longer!
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:58 pm

SMAA wrote:I think they should hire Bob Cimbollek as the next coach of the men's basketball team. Give him 5 years to turn the program around and I think he'll get it done.

SMAA: Thanks for the support.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:08 pm

55: My guess, related to SMAA's comment, is that your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:55: My guess, related to SMAA's comment, is that your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.

19: I did not take it as sarcasm as I try to be positive, not negative like you do. After all it's your guess, not SMAA's.

It was just a straight statement so I took it as it was without trying to read anything else (negative) into it. Only SMAA can clear his statement out and let us know what he truly meant if he wished to do so. His truthful feeling or just a jest. I can take it whichever way he meant it. I took it for its face value with no hidden agenda.
bcbc55

Postby aechamps » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:10 pm

First thought that comes to mind is Chris Markwood .....
aechamps

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:37 pm

aechamps wrote:First thought that comes to mind is Chris Markwood .....

aechamps: Chris Markwood has been my choice all along. All he got when Walsh was hired was a skype interview. Great success at Vermont as an associate head and currently the same at Northeastern 6-5 who is ranked 114 of 351 in realtimerpi.com team RPI playing in the 14th ranked Colonial Athletic Association Conference compared to UMaines 332 team ranking in the 29th of 32 America East Conference.

Only question is he wiling to take a pay cut as an associate head coach at a higher raked school to come back to his home state as head coach a oer paying and ranked team.

Maine would be smart to get the coaching staffs salaries in line with at least the lowest salaries of the lowest paying AE school. That would be a start. Markwood is the only true Mainer available right now that I know off who is the only available D-1 associate coach in D-1 basketball right this minute and he is in New England with good recruiting contacts.
bcbc55

Postby aechamps » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:40 pm

I totally agree Bob on Markwood....He departed when he was under Ted because of difference in philosophy and coaching style. I like his ties to Maine ..... He gets my vote.
Last edited by aechamps on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aechamps

Postby basketball_guy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 pm

I think the next Coach at UMAINE is already on staff. He deserves a shot at the Head Coaching Position if
it opens up. Assistant Coach Bob Simon needs to be given an opportunity to put his own stamp on the UMAINE
program. He does not write up the plan or recruit the current kids. He has only been at UMAINE one year.

PROVIDENCE - The big football money circulating through college sports has cost Providence College a valued basketball coach.
Bob Simon, the Friars’ associate head coach and a valued recruiter, has been hired by new Alabama coach Avery Johnson. Simon has been friendly with Johnson since he coached with the New Jersey Nets and the Crimson Tide coach took note of Simon’s reputation as a national recruiter.
“Avery knew Bob could nationally recruit and that was enough to really interest him,” said PC head coach Ed Cooley. “Bob went down there and felt really wanted and I know he’ll be getting a nice raise. It’s something he felt he couldn’t say no to.”
Asked how much of a hit Simon’s loss is to his staff, Cooley said “I’m happy for him. He’s been with me for nine years. He’s ground out a lot of recruiting battles. We’ll miss him.”
That said, Cooley said he expects all of his assistants to move on at some point. “I was hoping he’d become a head coach from here. He deserves that chance,” Cooley said. “All of our guys can definitely become head coaches from here.”

Simon is a Michigan native who spent six years at the University of Toledo before joining Cooley at Fairfield. Once at Providence, Simon made an instant impact. He secured Michigan native LaDontae Henton - Cooley’s first recruit – and put in heavy legwork on several other current Friars, including Top 100 recruits Paschal Chukwu, Ben Bentil and Jalen Lindsey, a Tennessee native.
Simon has continued to pound the South in recent months and had the Friars involved with several big-name prospects in the 2016 class, including Braxton Blackwell (Tennessee), Kobi Simmons (Georgia), Josh Langford (Alabama) and Trent Forrest (Florida). The Friars will certainly try to remain in the mix for as many of those players as possible.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 pm

basketball_guy wrote:I think the next Coach at UMAINE is already on staff. He deserves a shot at the Head Coaching Position if
it opens up. Assistant Coach Bob Simon needs to be given an opportunity to put his own stamp on the UMAINE
program. He does not write up the plan or recruit the current kids. He has only been at UMAINE one year.

PROVIDENCE - The big football money circulating through college sports has cost Providence College a valued basketball coach.
Bob Simon, the Friars’ associate head coach and a valued recruiter, has been hired by new Alabama coach Avery Johnson. Simon has been friendly with Johnson since he coached with the New Jersey Nets and the Crimson Tide coach took note of Simon’s reputation as a national recruiter.
“Avery knew Bob could nationally recruit and that was enough to really interest him,” said PC head coach Ed Cooley. “Bob went down there and felt really wanted and I know he’ll be getting a nice raise. It’s something he felt he couldn’t say no to.”
Asked how much of a hit Simon’s loss is to his staff, Cooley said “I’m happy for him. He’s been with me for nine years. He’s ground out a lot of recruiting battles. We’ll miss him.”
That said, Cooley said he expects all of his assistants to move on at some point. “I was hoping he’d become a head coach from here. He deserves that chance,” Cooley said. “All of our guys can definitely become head coaches from here.”

Simon is a Michigan native who spent six years at the University of Toledo before joining Cooley at Fairfield. Once at Providence, Simon made an instant impact. He secured Michigan native LaDontae Henton - Cooley’s first recruit – and put in heavy legwork on several other current Friars, including Top 100 recruits Paschal Chukwu, Ben Bentil and Jalen Lindsey, a Tennessee native.
Simon has continued to pound the South in recent months and had the Friars involved with several big-name prospects in the 2016 class, including Braxton Blackwell (Tennessee), Kobi Simmons (Georgia), Josh Langford (Alabama) and Trent Forrest (Florida). The Friars will certainly try to remain in the mix for as many of those players as possible.

basketball_guy: I wrote a BLOG that Bob Simons was the most qualified assistant coach ever to be hired at UMaine men's basketball program since 1949. I could certainly live with him. My only negative is that he is not a Mainer and probably would not stay long if he turned the program around where Markwood hopefully wth he and his wife's ties to Maine would be like Skip Chapelle and stay for 17 years and try to recruit best Maine players.

Because of his qualifications I hoped that Walsh would have listened to Simons, but nothing has changed for 3 plus years so I don't think Simons has influenced Walsh much at all, meaning Walsh hasn't or isn't taking advantage of Simon"s experience. Too bad you don't get an assistant coach with the kind of qualifications that Simon came to UMaine with.

Maine AD is not going to announcement any decision on Walsh until after the AE tournament probably when Maine probably will lose it's quarter-final game, that is if they are one of the top 8 teams seeing that only 8 of the 9 teams make the tourney this year with no playoff game between 8 and 9 as UMass-Lowell is now eligible to participate in the tourney for the first time since joining the conference 4 years ago.So Simon will not get a chance to show what he can do if he took over if Walsh was let go in a week or two. No way is Maine going to buy out the remainder of Walsh's contract for this year. He is going to be a lame duck coach even if it is not announced before the season is over based on his 3 plus year so far . Unless of course by some miracle Maine turns it around in conference play and finishes high enough 4th or better to get a home quarter-final game at home and then win that game and that changes the situation from how it is now 21-85 overall and 13-85 vs. D-1 opponents.

But will it change the problems of the win-lost record, the 11 transfers leaving, assistant coaches leaving, not giving walk on Ryan Bernstein a scholarship when there was scholarships available and he had certainly earned one, the fight in the lockerroom and dropping Myers from the program for his senior year after the fight incident..
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics