And the Winner is??

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: And the Winner is??

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:38 am

TAL1957 ... You are indeed correct in your assessment that UA has more to offer than UMaine.
Location, campus amenities, considerably more offers in which to major, etc.
Winters there aren't real good, but they're not as bad as Bangor/Orono.

Financial commitment to athletics, though, likely isn't extremely different overall. This is something we probably can check on, and I will if anyone is interested.

The big difference, related to basketball, is that Will Brown currently makes $350K, and Bob Walsh makes $120K.

But, remember, Brown was making about $125K when he became head coach. Since 2005-06 Albany has been to 8 national post-season tournaments, including 5 trips to the NCAA's.

He has been able to parlay that, along with offers from elsewhere, into regular raises over the years.
Maine19Fan

Postby thebam » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:40 am

Maine19Fan wrote:To respond to thebam: Albany, despite being a huge state school, doesn't throw money at basketball. It has an on-campus "arena" more like a gym that holds 4,500 for hoops and was built 15 years ago.
Vermont's on-campus gym is nothing more than a glorified h.s. facility that holds about 3,200.
I don't think there are any plans at either school to upgrade those facilities.

I didn't mean to imply that Albany throws money at programs. What I meant was, if Maine was achieving the success that Albany and Vermont achieve, people would line up to throw money at a new building on campus for those programs. People aren't that gung ho to pay for a shiny new building for programs that don't appear on the national radar at any point ever.
thebam

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Geeez bam, .... do you really need to post such common sense logic ?

I suppose you are next gonna be that UMaine fan who is looking forward to Lubbock, TX in February, even tho the AE website doesn't yet know that there are 2018 D1 College Baseball schedules out there already ?

Why do we give any money to a conference administration that can't even keep up with their current sports schedules ????? What's next, playoff games at a location that can't even play post-season ? :roll: :lol:
TAL1957

Postby thebam » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:22 pm

TAL1957 wrote:Geeez bam, .... do you really need to post such common sense logic ?

I suppose you are next gonna be that UMaine fan who is looking forward to Lubbock, TX in February, even tho the AE website doesn't yet know that there are 2018 D1 College Baseball schedules out there already ?

Why do we give any money to a conference administration that can't even keep up with their current sports schedules ????? What's next, playoff games at a location that can't even play post-season ? :roll: :lol:

My hotel is already booked along with my vacation days.
thebam

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics