And the Winner is??

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: And the Winner is??

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:19 pm

parquetfloor wrote:Holy cow...I was gone awhile and have missed all the fireworks. Anyway, I am also familiar with Mike LaPlante and I believe he is now a practicing attorney down in Alabama. Hoopisme is exactly right about N'Diaye. At the time, Mike was working as a consultant with Senegalese Basketball as well, which he parlayed into a recruiting opportunity. The fact that N'Diaye ended up at Auburn shows how loyal he was to Mike, not that N'Diaye was destined for high major college hoops or the NBA. He was very raw but had loads of potential. That coaching change/situation really was a debacle and was very unfortunate. At that time, Maine wasn't floundering the way it is today.

I look at that and then a few years later when Bedard broke his wrist in the AEast Tournament as the 2 times when Maine Basketball was going to be knocking on the door to being relevant in the world of Men's College Basketball.

parquetfloor: Good to have you back on MBR and I agree with your post 110%. The decision not to hire Mike LapPlante and then Dr. John losing Bedard with that broken wrist were two big factors in the progam heading i the directio it is in
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:22 pm

parquetfloor wrote:Holy cow...I was gone awhile and have missed all the fireworks. Anyway, I am also familiar with Mike LaPlante and I believe he is now a practicing attorney down in Alabama. Hoopisme is exactly right about N'Diaye. At the time, Mike was working as a consultant with Senegalese Basketball as well, which he parlayed into a recruiting opportunity. The fact that N'Diaye ended up at Auburn shows how loyal he was to Mike, not that N'Diaye was destined for high major college hoops or the NBA. He was very raw but had loads of potential. That coaching change/situation really was a debacle and was very unfortunate. At that time, Maine wasn't floundering the way it is today.

I look at that and then a few years later when Bedard broke his wrist in the AEast Tournament as the 2 times when Maine Basketball was going to be knocking on the door to being relevant in the world of Men's College Basketball.

parquetfloor: Good to have you back here on the UMaine D-1 MBR thread. Missed you and your always intelligent, interesting, timely and informative posts and response post. Agree with everything you said in your post above every single word.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:49 pm

Not going to continue to beat the dead horse about N'Diaye, but, logic should prevail.
Here's a 7-footer with skills. That combination alone hints at an NBA future.
Why would a player with that skill set hinder his athletic development by playing at Maine's level, not exactly a launching pad for NBA prospects?
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:34 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Not going to continue to beat the dead horse about N'Diaye, but, logic should prevail.
Why would a player with that skill set hinder his athletic development by playing at Maine's level, not exactly a launching pad for NBA prospects?

Maine19Fan: It was a launchig plan for Rick Carlisle and for 6'10: Jff Cross who never palyed varsity college ball at UMaine until he was a junior. Both had good NBA careers and were the only Maine college players ever to play in the NBA (Not Basketball Anymore) League. Still waiting for first Maine high school basketball player to play in the NBA.

Maybe it will be Nick Mayo. If isn't Mayo then I may not ever see it at my age.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:10 am

Maine19Fan wrote:Not going to continue to beat the dead horse about N'Diaye, but, logic should prevail.

That's just it...he really wasn't that skilled and probably weighed 180 pounds soaking wet. He wasn't really a great NBA prospect at all. He was tall, that was about it. And at that time, UMaine basketball certainly wasn't the dumpster fire that it has been the last decade or more. The America East was also at a higher level and guys like Speedy Claxton (Hofstra), Malik Rose (Drexel), Spencer Dunkley (Delaware) were making it to the NBA from the league so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility. Again, things change...which seems to be the common theme in most of these latest threads.
parquetfloor

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:14 am

parquet ... the cases you cite, Carlisle and Cross, are both from almost 40 years ago. Far different era.
And Carlisle was smart enough to realize he was too good for Maine's level and left after two seasons.

Cross was hardly an NBA prospect coming out of prep school. He did nothing as a freshman at Maine and, then, started to develop. Still, hardly the "prospect" as an athletic 7-footer like N'Daiye. And, not exactly a stellar NBA career: 21 total games.

Can an NBA player come from an American East program these days? I guess it could happen, but it's highly unlikely. The best players AE teams have produced in the last 20/30 years are Coppenrath from Vermont and Warney from Stony Brook. Neither got even a sniff from the NBA. Am forgetting anyone?

The old axiom that players improve by playing against superior competition remains true. NBA-level prospects aren't going to get better by going against AE's low-major level teams.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:55 pm

19: Going after all the people who you disagree with here on MBR maybe even too much for you to keep up with, You may have to hire a secretary to keep up with your criticisms

And to think it all started with me an old senile senior citizen who you called "Quote an "arm chair no-nothing".

I feel honored because I am in good company with fromthebench, Lenny H., parquetfloor, basketball-guy and hoopsisme as MBRers you have chosen to dump on just because they say things you don't agree with because in your great basketball mind that you are all knowing about basketball especially as the self proclaimed king of D-1 basketball knowledge.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:parquet ... the cases you cite, Carlisle and Cross, are both from almost 40 years ago. Far different era.
And Carlisle was smart enough to realize he was too good for Maine's level and left after two seasons.

Cross was hardly an NBA prospect coming out of prep school. He did nothing as a freshman at Maine and, then, started to develop. Still, hardly the "prospect" as an athletic 7-footer like N'Daiye. And, not exactly a stellar NBA career: 21 total games.

Can an NBA player come from an American East program these days? I guess it could happen, but it's highly unlikely. The best players AE teams have produced in the last 20/30 years are Coppenrath from Vermont and Warney from Stony Brook. Neither got even a sniff from the NBA. Am forgetting anyone?

The old axiom that players improve by playing against superior competition remains true. NBA-level prospects aren't going to get better by going against AE's low-major level teams.

I didn't cite those cases. You may want to go back and re-read the posts. As I was stating as it pertains to N'Diaye, it was a completely different time in AEast hoops back then as guys like Claxton, Rose, Dunkley, etc were going to the NBA and actually having decent careers. That was before the league changed with Hofstra, Drexel, Delaware, Towson, Northeastern and Boston University leaving the conference.

If you are going back 30 years, you would need to mention Reggie Lewis (Northeastern), Vin Baker (Hartford), Tunji Awojobi (Boston U) among others. Back then, it wasn't out of the question for someone from the conference to get a shot at the league.

* Edit - And just so you know why I'm mentioning those guys from other schools, it's because during that specific time period (when N'Diaye would have been coming to AEast), it wasn't that uncommon for guys to get a shot at the NBA. I mean, both Malik Rose and Vin Baker had excellent NBA careers. I haven't been talking about today's AEast at all in any of my posts. It is a shell of what it used to be.
parquetfloor

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:31 pm

parquetfloor wrote:
Maine19Fan wrote:parquet ... the cases you cite, Carlisle and Cross, are both from almost 40 years ago. Far different era.

I didn't cite those cases. You may want to go back and re-read the posts. As I was stating as it pertains to N'Diaye, it was a completely different time in AEast hoops back then as guys like Claxton, Rose, Dunkley, etc were going to the NBA and actually having decent careers. That was before the league changed with Hofstra, Drexel, Delaware, Towson, Northeastern and Boston University leaving the conference.

If you are going back 30 years, you would need to mention Reggie Lewis (Northeastern), Vin Baker (Hartford), Tunji Awojobi (Boston U) among others. Back then, it wasn't out of the question for someone from the conference to get a shot at the league.

* Edit - And just so you know why I'm mentioning those guys from other schools, it's because during that specific time period (when N'Diaye would have been coming to AEast), it wasn't that uncommon for guys to get a shot at the NBA. I mean, both Malik Rose and Vin Baker had excellent NBA careers. I haven't been talking about today's AEast at all in any of my posts. It is a shell of what it used to be.

parquetfloor: Excellent, informative, timely, relative, important, historial and educational post. Keep them coming. Enjoyed this one a great deal.
bcbc55

Postby hoopsisme » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:39 pm

Parquet, you are on the dot about Ndiaye being raw. He was probably closer to 195-200 but over time became an NBA body but he was nowhere near that at MCI. He did not get alot of time on the MCI team. He could put the food away. !! Again it was years ago but it set in motion what we now see. There were other prep kids at MCI that got missed and Maine did not have the programs to take the prop 48 kids. If they had they would have had more of them. They were already in Maine. I am not talking about the Cutino Mobleys or Sam Cassells. The inability to take some of those kids hurt. Cleveland st, Eastern Michigan , fairliegh Dickinson , etc got players Maine could have had if those programs were in place. Water under the bridge but it still angers me that it would have changed Maine hoops . Now look where we are. Half of AE is made up of former D2s.

**Mike is in fact an attorney in Anniston Alabama. **
hoopsisme

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics