UMaine women's basketball team stops BC 61-40 with defense

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine women's basketball team stops BC 61-40 with defen

Postby mainejeff » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:13 am

I’d like to admit how wrong I was about Coach Vachon after witnessing the first game of the season vs. Tulane. They were horrible & Coach V seemed to struggle to find any answers. But since then she has had the team playing solid ball & progressing.

It will be nice to get some answers about who will be the “permanent” HC. I think that I have an idea but you never know. ;)

On to the conference games now...make or break time. I predict a Top 4 finish but it will be a dogfight between Maine, Albany, UNH, Hartford & Binghamton.
mainejeff

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:15 am

TAL1957: The attempt is to put 55's posts in perspective. If he's wrong about something, someone should point that out.
I will try to avoid doing so as often as I have, only taking offense at his most egregious inaccuracies in the future.

The thing is that almost every post he makes is rife with inaccuracies, philosophies that might have worked at the h.s. level in the 1950's, lack perspective and reveal his total lack of understanding of college-level basketball.

My guess is that any intelligent reader realizes that without my help.
Maine19Fan

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:22 am

Tulane has a very good women's team. Check out its losses, all to high-major level programs.
That Maine was as close as it was in that game vs. Tulane wasn't a bad thing.

You are right, though. AE is going to be a tough one for women this season.

UNH is terrific at this level. Hartford is very good, might have the best PG in the league. Albany has gone to the NCAA's for, I believe, six straight years, and looks good again this year. Bingo is pretty good, although its non-league schedule has been weak, one of the five weakest N-L schedules in the country.

Based on what we've seen so far, Maine certainly is in the mix to finish among the top four.

Permanent head coach? Is Barron not coming back if his health issues clear up?
If not, Vachon should surely have the job on a permanent basis, right?
Maine19Fan

Postby turkeyman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:13 am

It may be too early to call this Tanesha Sutton's team, but that time may well be coming. That woman works hard every minute, and the stats show it, though as Coach Vachon says, she does all the things that don't show up in the stats, too. Last night at BC, nine points, 11 boards, six steals and four assists. How many deflections did she have, and on how many of those did someone else grab the ball and get the stat for the steal? And even if BC recovered the ball after the deflection, she had disrupted its game. How many times did she tip a rebound to a teammate? She can handle the ball well -- remember, a year ago we were all posting about her playing the point -- and she can help break the press. And she was playing in the low post almost all night. How many D I teams can put a 5-10 at low post and get that sort of performance?

Did you notice that BC coach Erik Johnson stopped and talked with T during the after-game handshakes? Don't know if he was just complimenting on a really good game or if he had a couple of more words because he had tried to recruit her.

It's true that BC isn't very good and in that 24-6 third quarter you could see that the Eagles were dispirited. It wasn't until Johnson put the end of the bench in during the fourth quarter that BC showed any life again, and that was against the end of Maine's bench. One BC fan said after the game that the Eagles had six injured players. If so, several were playing while banged up because Johnson went nine deep on a roster of 12.

Haven't posted for a while, but have seen four of the six latest games (Miami, Toledo, Dartmouth, BC). This team seems to be progressing every game, with the possible exception of Duke, and because of the Atlanta airport blackout, they had to ride a bus 14 hours from Starkville, Miss., where they had just been smoked, to Durham and then play.

Maine showed well against Miami, was tied at 37 at half. But when Maine gives up 37 in a half that is a bad sign because Maine's scoring isn't yet reliable (Tulane, Mississippi State, Duke). One oddity at Miami, which surely must be a violation, was when Miami had an inbounds and the PA guy announced "one second left on the shot clock." We'll never know whether the kid making the throw in or the kid receiving the pass had known before that that they had only one second. Miami had not taken a timeout, so there was no opportunity for the coaches to set up a one-second play. That's a nice homecourt advantage! Still, the Maine kids played well there. The injury to Dor may have been worse than losing the game. She played very well at Miami until she went down, and she still looks not to have regained her confidence. She did start last night, but she seems tentative about shooting. But, did you see her go up against a kid about six inches taller and tap a rebound to a teammate in, I believe, the second quarter?

When the officials before the Toledo game introduced themselves to the Maine coaches, the Maine fan sitting in front of me turned around and said, "This may be a long night. We're not going to get any calls from these guys." I don't know how he knew, but he was correct. At one point, the fouls were 14-2. Toledo fans were jumping all over the refs in the fourth quarter when the calls started going Maine's way. Finally. It was a truly bad officiating performance. And the final no-call on Toledo for having six players on the court near the end of OT was outrageous. The Toledo folks leaving the building were silent on that topic, though still complaining about the officiating in the fourth quarter. Heard only one fan mention the sixth player, and he said, "We got away with that one." Still, though, a good learning experience for Maine's young team.

Dartmouth was a really good win because Maine showed toughness of mind to stay with it and then pull away. That ability to nail it down, as Vachon noted last night, has been lacking in Maine teams for a long time. Note that in its next game, Dartmouth beat Colorado (Pac-12) in Boulder. Dartmouth is a good team but it just couldn't handle Maine's defense.

I, too, am tired of the discussion of threes. When you have five 6-footers on a squad of 13 and when everyone else is taller -- I believe Duke had 11 six-footers -- you are likely to develop a guard-oriented offense. Kudos to the coaches for doing that. When you look to guards for lots of scoring, you need to toss up some treys to find out who has the hot hand tonight. Last night, it was Julie (four for eight) and Maddy (one for two). Five others took three-point shots but didn't continue after misses. Another night, it will be someone else. Keep chucking 'em up there, Maine. Someone's gonna be hot almost every game. You just have to find her early.

I would have to look at charts to see where the rebounds came down last night on threes, but it seemed that not many were ricocheting back out toward the shooter, which has been a point of discussion on this board. And it seemed that Maine got a good proportion of its offensive rebounds on threes, which also has been a major point of discussion. It has been posted that neither of those things is supposed to happen.

AE may be a bit stronger overall this year. Hard to tell because few in the conference rank well in SoS. Maine, of course, won't stay at 13, but the OSU, MSU and Duke games will help keep SoS high, which should help the RPI, should a tie-breaker be needed down the line for seeding.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:43 am

To Bob Neal: Thanks for the insight. Nice to see on this board.
Your point about the 3-point proclivity is indeed accurate. Can you get bcbc55 to read your assessment?

Only one disagreement. Officials rarely affect the outcome of a game, unless it comes down to one call late. I know dozens of D1 officials. Every one is highly ethical and objective.

They're not perfect. They make mistakes. But, we only tend to see the mistakes that go against our favorite team. I'm sure even 55 would agree with that!
Maine19Fan

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:06 am

Maine19Fan wrote:Officials rarely affect the outcome of a game, unless it comes down to one call late. I know dozens of D1 officials. Every one is highly ethical and objective.

They're not perfect. They make mistakes. But, we only tend to see the mistakes that go against our favorite team. I'm sure even 55 would agree with that!

Same. I know a ton of them (even worked with them at a camp here in the Midwest) and to a man or woman, I agree wholeheartedly that they are very ethical and objective. Like 19 says, every fan looks through their colored glasses.

19, one thing I would say is that even though a single call late in the game may be more noticed, I don't believe it affects the outcome. I would argue that the team that lost shouldn't have missed the front end of a 1 & 1 a couple of times, they shouldn't have made that careless pass in the first half/quarter when they were trying to force a fast break opportunity that just wasn't there, they shouldn't have tried to force feed the post, they should have pulled up for that jumper instead of plowing through the defender for an offensive foul, they should have blocked out instead of giving up that offensive rebound/putback, etc.

Yes, the last (or close to last) call that may have been controversial is the one that everyone will talk about and say the refs screwed my team, but my argument is always that you should have taken care of the things you could control earlier in the game and then that last call/play wouldn't have mattered.
parquetfloor

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:09 am

And on the original topic, Maine should have beaten BC. That team is bad. I mean, they have lost to Dartmouth, Boston U, Columbia, Fairfield, Minnesota, Seton Hall, Providence and now Maine. The departure of Cathy Inglese as well as leaving the Big East for the ACC has doomed this program. In fact, BC athletics for the most part have fallen way off since that switch of conferences.
parquetfloor

Postby mainejeff » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 am

Yes, refs are human & make mistakes...but c’mon...they are paid highly trained professionals. They should be 99.9% accurate...especially with the help of todays technology. To place the blame on players for not performing “when they should have” is similar to stating...maybe the passengers should have taken another flight instead of the one that crashed. :roll: :roll: :roll:
mainejeff

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:49 am

mainejeff wrote:Yes, refs are human & make mistakes...but c’mon...they are paid highly trained professionals. They should be 99.9% accurate...especially with the help of todays technology. To place the blame on players for not performing “when they should have” is similar to stating...maybe the passengers should have taken another flight instead of the one that crashed. :roll: :roll: :roll:

They don't review travel calls, they don't review balls & strikes, they don't review pass interference...there are ton things that happen really fast in real time that do not get reviewed. I, for one, think that officials/refs do an amazing job considering how fast things happen.

I guess I really don't get your point here. If players perform, whatever happens with officials really doesn't matter. And last time I checked, passengers weren't flying the plane but players are certainly the ones dribbling, passing, shooting, etc. It goes back to "controlling what you can control."
parquetfloor

Postby mainejeff » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Yes, if players were robots they wouldn’t even need refs. That would make you sad... :cry: :cry: :cry:

So what I don’t get is why you are putting poor reffing on the players??? Why are you demanding perfection from players buy not refs??? I smell a rat....
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics