2nd Half today could have been UMaine men's best so far this

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: 2nd Half today could have been UMaine men's best so far

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Well, I did play high school, JUCO and Division 1 at Maine and then Alabama.
But the first thing I would tell you is I have no more an idea how Maine changes the
culture than anyone else. I have just been watching how the Sacramento Kings are building
back from scratch. I also have watched how Avery Johnson is doing it at Alabama in his third
year. No losing season in his first three years in the SEC and now challenging the upper echelon
in the SEC.

I am not totally convinced it is the talent right now. I think it is mostly on this Coach.
I heard about this guy in the trenchcoat but how do you know that Walsh asked him to come.
The problem at Maine is bigger than the talent and the Coaches. The facility issue is a big issue.
I don't buy this deal going to the Cross Center in Bangor all the time. Something has got to be done
about this outdated Memorial Gymnasium issue and one thing I do agree on is that Chappelle was working
hard to get more funding for expansion and rebuilding. That in my opinion is one of the changes that should
be implemented. Skip Chappelle is a class act. They really need to get his help. Not sure I understand why they
dropped this idea. If it is a fundraising issue and Skip was working hard even being retired to do something
about it, then I say let him do some fundraising. He was making good progress when Steve Abbot was the AD.

I would start with the facility issue first. Work on the Coaching issue at the end of the season.
basketball_guy

Postby dunbar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:32 pm

They did renovate Memorial Gym. What they didn't and couldn't do is renovate the Pit.

But I agree, the biggest flaw of the basketball programs is the fact that the University of Maine does not own an adequate Division I basketball facility. Any new venue on campus would have to be a multi-purpose NBA/NHL type facility. Yes, both. The Alfond didn't work because it's a rink built in 1977 that was renovated/expanded for basketball in 1992 but never had anything done to the seating bowl to accommodate hoops.
dunbar

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Chappelle was working on that very issue on renovating the PITT. You are right what is College basketball without the College Student section cheering on the players. The PITT used to be that place(admittedly a few years ago) but you don't get that at Bangor Cross Center. It is a nice facility but most College Kids are not going to drive down to Bangor vs being on Campus at the old UMO and that is really a bigger issue than all the other issues that are going on with the Mens Basketball program. Why not allow Chappelle to continue the fundraising he was working on. I think it was one hell of an idea. And he gets the respect of a lot of people in Maine. Someone here said there was some issue about expanding the PITT because the location sits on BEDROCK? What is that all about?

But I don't think anyone who is a Maine basketball fan can deny this Coach is in trouble?
basketball_guy

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:00 pm

basketball guy ... Yes, the facility is a bit of an issue.
But there are several college programs that play in off-campus facilities with pretty good success.
If you want me to identify some, I will.
It's not a detriment to bring a recruit to a sparkling new arena that seats 6,000 people and tell him/her that "this is where we play," even if it's not on campus.

Yes, ideally, a new 6,000-seat facility on campus would be nice. Or, even, a major renovation of existing facilities would be nice.

But, the expense would be in the multiple millions of dollars.

How do you justify spending that kind of money at a university that, like most, is struggling financially?

Do you think there are enough "big money" people from which the university could fund-raise that kind of money for facility renovations .... when it's easy enough to play game a few miles away in the Cross Center?''

Probably not.

Chapelle is 77 years old. You think he wants to undertake a major fund-raising effort?
Maine19Fan

Postby dunbar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:12 pm

The issues with the Pit lie with the structure and footprint of the building. The reason virtually none of the seating was touched is because once to start work on it, you have to bring everything up to code. Narrow stairways and a 1:1 rise to run don't lend itself to easy and cost-efficient retrofitting. And forget about changing anything about the support beams without changing the whole structure. The building as a basketball facility is a lost cause, although they did an exceptional job bringing it up to par for the rest of the department.

Playing in Bangor should never be off the table. Weekend and higher-end non-conference games are best suited there. Everything else should be played on campus. Many metropolitan schools play in downtown arenas, but in another part of the city. The Connecticut model would work best for Maine. Unfortunately, Maine doesn't have a Division I facility to accommodate that like UConn does with Gampel.
dunbar

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:56 pm

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/10/08/n ... ntil-2014/

They were already working on it and Chappelle did get involved in 2014 but I don't know what became of the decision to renovate Memorial Gymnasium. I know Chappelle even though he was retired was doing fundraising
for the Memorial Gymnasium project that was supposed to be part of the construction project above, but then
Steve Abbot left as AD an it appears to have gotten shelved.

I do think this is an important issue. Basketball needs its own venue on campus.
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:01 pm

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/11/15/s ... athletics/

They mention the expansion of memorail gymnasium here as well but I don't hear anymore about it.
basketball_guy

Postby dunbar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:17 pm

basketball_guy wrote:http://bangordailynews.com/2013/10/08/news/bangor/refurbished-umaine-field-house-not-expected-to-open-until-2014/

They were already working on it and Chappelle did get involved in 2014 but I don't know what became of the decision to renovate Memorial Gymnasium. I know Chappelle even though he was retired was doing fundraising
for the Memorial Gymnasium project that was supposed to be part of the construction project above, but then
Steve Abbot left as AD an it appears to have gotten shelved.

I do think this is an important issue. Basketball needs its own venue on campus.

We've been over this. They did work on it. They finished it. They did renovate Memorial Gym. They did not renovate the Pit, other than the locker rooms in which the basketball teams use daily.

Memorial Gymnasium is the total facility which includes the New Balance Field House, Wallace Pool, and all locker rooms, training, academic support, and offices for all UM programs except baseball and the hockey programs. It was renovated in 2014. The Pit is only a part of the facility, and pretty much was the only part of the building left untouched.
dunbar

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:37 pm

Well then they need to do something about it don't they.
basketball_guy

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics