2nd Half today could have been UMaine men's best so far this

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

2nd Half today could have been UMaine men's best so far this

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:50 pm

The Maine men's second half to against UMass may have been their best 20 minutes of the season so far. After a horrendous first half against UMass today where they only scored 15 points and shot just 1 for 15 for 6.7% and just 6 for 28 from the floor for 21.5% they turned things around in the second half by reducing the number of 3 attempts to just 4 of 6 for 66.7%, went 18 fir 26 from the floor for 69.2%, by slowing the game some, took better shots, looked pass first and shot second which showed as they had 16 assists on 24 field goals made compared to just 4 assist of 18 hoops in their last game.

They held a much bigger team to 22 points in the paint and scored 36 themselves there especially in the second half.Maine outscored UMass 48-34 in the second half as they played good defense and forced the minutemen to the 3 point game and defended it much better then they did in the first half.

Maine by slowing the game down offensively by being more patient on offense looking for each other more by looking pass first and their own shot second also slowed down UMass's momentum and up tempo game they were so effective with when they outscored Maine 40-15.

With only one non conference game before conference play starts if Coach Walsh can get Maine to play like they did in the second half of this game today then they have a chance of finishing as high as 4th place to get a home game in the tourney and with a chance to win a tournament game. There is no 8-9 playoff game this year as UMass-Lowell is eligible for the tournament for the first time since they joined the AE Conference 4 years ago.

Really liked the effort and the way the players played today after having such a miserable first half.

I have said from the get go after seeing them against Husson in the first exhibition game of the season on Oct. 28th and the exhibition game against St. Joseph's of Standish that if Maine played their best 8 basketball players, not their best athletes, played slower and more controlled on offense, not relying so much on the 3, go inside-outside much more to get open 3's consistently and also have an inside block attack, make good basketball decisions of good shot selection, keep turnovers around 12 and cut down their fouling (hopefully no more than 6 fouls per half only allowed 7 foul shots today) they could be a good solid America L'east basketball team. Today's second half showed just that. Especially only taking 6 three pointers changed their offense around to a very effective machine going 16 for 28 from the floor fyer going 6 for 28 from the floor in the first half.

Also, if Walsh went to just 8 players to get those better players on the floor much more this would also improve them as a team. How about this:

Starters:
F 6'7 Fleming..30 minutes
F 6'6" Er........30 minutes
C 6'9" Antoms..30 minutes
PG Evans........30 minutes
Shooting guard Calixe.,,35 minutes

Subs:
F/C 6'7" Ilija S. 15 minutes
G/F 6'6" White.....15minutes
G/F 6'6" Lowndes..15 minutes
...............total 200 minutes if no foul trouble or poor decision making in game. with all the TV timeouts b pr game every minutes plus the team timeouts fatigue should not be a factor to rest players as there is a break in play every 4 minutes at the 16-12=8 or 4 minutes in each half.

In their new Offensive sets if the post player who has the ball or who is screening for the guards with the ball at the top of the circle behind the 3 point line if they ADD AND ALLOW the post player to cut to the basket and post up on the block after he makes a pass to one of the wings. Also, tough to double team the post player on his moving cut to the block, then the double down would then come to double team the post which opens up the inside-outside game for the open 3 or if it is one on one on the block the the post player can go one on one.

This would at least post up the post player once every time they ran their offense to get their 3's. If he didn't get the ball on the block then he could return to his screening or passing position at the top of the circle. This gets him involved as a scorer and /or to force the defense to double down on him which would open up the 3 for a good open look from inside outside pass.

This are just my opinions based on seeing all of their 13 games on-line or in person so far this season.

Really liked how they played in the second half today, says a lot about the character of the players and the coaching staff's support by really encouraging them in their play through the second half today.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Re: 2nd Half today could have been UMaine men's best so far

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:24 pm

I did not listen to the game today. While they may have played their best game today, they had Fordham on
the ropes and lost it because Walsh took the air out of the ball with 2:31 to go.

I have the option of watching the Sacramento Kings most nights and they were terrible at the start of the season
but now they have won 2 in a row. They are finally showing progress. I don't see that with this UMAINE team.

The problem is they were terrible at the start of the season, and now the Kings look like they are starting to play
like an NBA team for a change. UMAINE is just not a Division 1 caliber team right now.

UMAINE under the current Coach is headed in the wrong direction. I would be shocked if Walsh can turn anything
around at this point. I just don't see a full 60 minutes from those guys, and they need would need to put a few wins together against Division 1 competition. Not sure that is even possible at this point.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:40 pm

basketball_guy wrote:I did not listen to the game today. While they may have played their best game today, they had Fordham on
the ropes and lost it because Walsh took the air out of the ball with 2:31 to go.

I have the option of watching the Sacramento Kings most nights and they were terrible at the start of the season
but now they have won 2 in a row. They are finally showing progress. I don't see that with this UMAINE team.

The problem is they were terrible at the start of the season, and now the Kings look like they are starting to play
like an NBA team for a change. UMAINE is just not a Division 1 caliber team right now.

UMAINE under the current Coach is headed in the wrong direction. I would be shocked if Walsh can turn anything
around at this point. I just don't see a full 60 minutes from those guys, and they need would need to put a few wins together against Division 1 competition. Not sure that is even possible at this point.

basketball_guy: The 2nd 20 minutes was the way they should have been playing all year. The biggest difference in the halves was that Maine only took 6 three attempts and they were 12 for 20 from the floor for 2's. They actually were patient and looked for ech other first before shooting. Made much better decisions because they played at a slower pace and just did not randomly throw up 3's like they have all season. What three they got were wide open looks.

By playing at this slower ofenive pace it disrupted UMass's offensive flow of the first half.

Coaching staff should eatch the 2nd half video a few times and then sit down with the team and watch it together with the players a few times and then go into conference play after the Columbia game of using just 8 players and a new offensive philosophy of looking for each first and their own shot second.

Massachusetts is a very good taam ranked 147 in pomeroy RPI to Maine's 338 of 351 D-1 teams playing in the 10th ranke Atlanti 10 Conference in RPI to AE's 30th out of the 32 D-1 conferences.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Let an NBA scout come up to UMAINE and size up the situation in Orono for a few games.
Better yet let the GM of the Maine Redclaws come up and size up the situation in Orono. These guys deal
with Division 1 caliber players all the time.

That is what Maines AD should be doing right now. He needs to get an outside evaluation of the situation up
in Orono.
Honestly, I wanted to believe this year could be different. I was even hopeing for it until the Dartmouth game.
That game pretty much convinced me it was time for this Coach to move on.
All that is happening now is Maine fans just have to endure another season of losing. Not sure if Simon could turn
things around but honestly he does not call the shots on the bench obviously. Given the chance I think he can do
well, but if not I can honestly say let April get here....as soon as possible so we UMAINE basketball fans can get on with watching something worth watching.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Let an NBA scout come up to UMAINE and size up the situation in Orono for a few games.
Better yet let the GM of the Maine Redclaws come up and size up the situation in Orono. These guys deal
with Division 1 caliber players all the time.

That is what Maines AD should be doing right now. He needs to get an outside evaluation of the situation up
in Orono.
Honestly, I wanted to believe this year could be different. I was even hopeing for it until the Dartmouth game.
That game pretty much convinced me it was time for this Coach to move on.
All that is happening now is Maine fans just have to endure another season of losing. Not sure if Simon could turn
things around but honestly he does not call the shots on the bench obviously. Given the chance I think he can do
well, but if not I can honestly say let April get here....as soon as possible so we UMAINE basketball fans can get on with watching something worth watching.

basketball_guy: Remember "Any Confirmation" Thread you posted last on it. Remember Walsh brought in this guy with a trench coat and brief case to evaluate him and his program. The guy supposedly stayed the weekend and was at the UMaine @Machias game.

If Maine plays out the season the way they did the second half today I could get a little excited for conference play in the America L'east Conference currently the 30th ranked D-1 conference out the 32 D-1 conferences.

They have got the Columbia game left Saturday, Dec. 30th before they start conference play on Wednesday, January 3rd at Stonybrook. Start the Columbia game continuing what they did in the second half today only just use 8 players. The answer for a good conference season is right in front of the coaching staff's noses...let's hope they can see the Maine forest (reduce their 3 attempts) for the trees (look for their teammates first and their own shot second).
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:17 am

Arm chair (know nothing) QB'ing at its finest!
Maine19Fan

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:18 pm

55... You do know that in the second half vs. UMass, which you proclaim to be the way they should have been playing all year, Maine used 10 players and not the 8-man rotation that you advocate?
You do know that Maine's "bench" (its players 6 through 10) scored 28 of its 48 second-half points?

It would be nice if we let the real coaches coach and limit the fans to being fans!

Oh, and if you actually watched the game ... here's what disrupted the UMass flow in this game: UMass had a 45-15 lead with 18 minutes left to play.
Teams that get up by margins that large lose their incentive to play with the same intensity they did in building that lead.
Maine scored 12 of its second-half points after turnovers, all of those after it trailed by 30, meaning it was beating a less-inspired UMass down court on those points.

Was the reason Maine did better in the final 18 minutes predicated on reducing its number of 3-point shots?
Or, was it more a case of UMass not being so dedicated to interior defense and overall inspired play, allowing Maine to get more open looks?

From what I saw, it was the latter. Were we watching the same game?
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:55... You do know that in the second half vs. UMass, which you proclaim to be the way they should have been playing all year, Maine used 10 players and not the 8-man rotation that you advocate?
You do know that Maine's "bench" (its players 6 through 10) scored 28 of its 48 second-half points?

It would be nice if we let the real coaches coach and limit the fans to being fans!

Oh, and if you actually watched the game ... here's what disrupted the UMass flow in this game: UMass had a 45-15 lead with 18 minutes left to play.
Teams that get up by margins that large lose their incentive to play with the same intensity they did in building that lead.
Maine scored 12 of its second-half points after turnovers, all of those after it trailed by 30, meaning it was beating a less-inspired UMass down court on those points.

Was the reason Maine did better in the final 18 minutes predicated on reducing its number of 3-point shots?
Or, was it more a case of UMass not being so dedicated to interior defense and overall inspired play, allowing Maine to get more open looks?

From what I saw, it was the latter. Were we watching the same game?

19: "Arm chairing no nothing" (negative name "callin") just trying to be positive for a change. Thought you would like the positive QBing of the 2nd half vs. the negative QBing of the first half.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Nothing negative about calling what you do "arm-chair" quarterbacking.

Did you even watch the game?

You do know that when a superior team gets up by 30 with 18 minutes left, the very natural tendency is to play with less intensity on the defensive end.

And, I note, no rebuttal on Maine getting 28 second-half points from its bench, some of it from players 9 and 10.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Nothing negative about calling what you do "arm-chair" quarterbacking.

Did you even watch the game?

You do know that when a superior team gets up by 30 with 18 minutes left, the very natural tendency is to play with less intensity on the defensive end.

And, I note, no rebuttal on Maine getting 28 second-half points from its bench, some of it from players 9 and 10.

19: Arm chair no-nothing is negative.

Maine has used 9-10 players continually the past 3 plus years, so that is nothing new. Ilija S, Lowndes, Arajuo, have all started at some point so far this season along with the 5 starters yesterday, Fleming, Dusan M., White, Er and Calixe. Ashley has been getting minutes all year off the bench. So Maine has a lot of depth in Walsh's mind.

In my opinion, he plays too many players which forces the better players (Calixe, Er, Fleming, White, Evans) to take themselves to the game and not let the game come to them. The results, to poor shot selection, turnovers player control fouls and defensive player fouls trying to make something happen before they are subbed for again and again and again throughout the game and throughout their careers at UMaine when they are the better players who should be getting 30-35 minutes a game. No wonder they had 11 transfers in 2 years.

The 11 transfers could probably beat this years team.

Remember just my opinion which I am entitled to whether I back it up or not.

You may began critiquing this post trying to prove that I am nothing more than an arm chair no nothing.

P.S. Without stroking your ego, please tell me if you played high school basketball and college basketball and if you have officiated college basketball.
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics