Maine19Fan: Your real name and bb experience please.

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Maine19Fan: Your real name and bb experience please.

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Considering your such a great critic for anyone who does not agree with you or you with them it is time for you to have the courage not to hide behind a user name to give us basketball no-nothings your real name and all your basketball experience as a player, coach, official, radio/TV commentator, author, etc. or are you just a fan as your username Maine19Fan suggests.

I don't mind being critiqued or crticisized by you continually, but I am not going to waste my time reading your responses to my posts or blogs by responding to your critiques and attacks until I know you have the experience to be a basketball expert and critiquer or is it just personal with me in some way. I would also recommend that fromthebench to not waste his time to your critiques of his posts either.

Bob Cimbollek
bcbc55

Re: Maine19Fan: Your real name and bb experience please.

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Bcbc, until this site requires that information, Maine19fan is under absolutely no obligation to give you their real name, experience, etc. Frankly, I have enjoyed Maine19fan's posts, because he/she provides an interesting perspective as well as logical arguments/counter-arguments backed by quantitative evidence. Just because you disagree with someone's arguments doesn't mean you have to launch ad hominem attacks against Maine19fan. After all, spirited debate and differing opinions are what make this site interesting.
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:30 pm

MaineBBFan99 wrote:Bcbc, until this site requires that information, Maine19fan is under absolutely no obligation to give you their real name, experience, etc. Frankly, I have enjoyed Maine19fan's posts, because he/she provides an interesting perspective as well as logical arguments/counter-arguments backed by quantitative evidence. Just because you disagree with someone's arguments doesn't mean you have to launch ad hominem attacks against Maine19fan. After all, spirited debate and differing opinions are what make this site interesting.

MaineBBFan99: And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I was not requiring 19 to provide his real name to stay or post. I just said I would not bother to read them or respond to them. If he could do his critiques in a more positive way then that would be different. I have always said it is OK to agree to disagree it is just the manner in which it is done positive or negative. I prefer positive. Seeing Maine19Fan and MaineBBFan19 user names are similar, I can see why you would support 19 as "birds of a feather stick together".
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:14 pm

MaineBBFan99 is absolutely correct.
No one is under any obligation to give you any personal information.
But, when all your arguments fail ... you seek to shoot the messenger, right?

Don't worry about my experience/expertise. I've got enough to intelligently debate a variety of basketball issues in our state, and when I don't know something I know enough knowledgable people to get insight from them.
If I don't know enough about a particular topic, I'm not going to comment.

But, I'm not an egotistical, look-at-me, self-deluded blowhard who needs to throw my name around for the purpose of self gratification.

As for the number in my "handle:" I just picked the No. 19 arbitrarily. I had no idea anyone else was using the same number. I never intended to be in anyone else's "flock."

But, I do appreciate MaineBBFan19's contention that I brings, as he says, quantitative evidence into a discussion. Hopefully, he's not the only one who thinks that way.

I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to be objective in my views.

But, if someone is throwing opinions out there that have no basis in fact, no quantitative evidence to support them, i'm passionate enough to try to counter those opinions.

Sorry if you perceive that as being negative.
But, I view your convoluted theories, opinions without supportive evidence, to be an insult to those in this forum who come here for real information and logical beliefs.
When I've tried to counter some of your theories/opinions, I've tried to do so by presenting logical arguments with facts and quantitative evidence.
That's something you rarely do.

I promise to stop being so "negative" when you stop putting out just foolish, insupportable theories ... like that having 8 Maine-bred players on its roster would be beneficial for the UMaine men's program.

OK, it's fine to have that opinion, but it's equally fair game to dispute that theory, particularly when there's conclusive evidence to show it wouldn't work.

Otherwise, Merry Christmas 55.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:MaineBBFan99 is absolutely correct.
No one is under any obligation to give you any personal information.
But, when all your arguments fail ... you seek to shoot the messenger, right?

Don't worry about my experience/expertise. I've got enough to intelligently debate a variety of basketball issues in our state, and when I don't know something I know enough knowledgable people to get insight from them.
If I don't know enough about a particular topic, I'm not going to comment.

But, I'm not an egotistical, look-at-me, self-deluded blowhard who needs to throw my name around for the purpose of self gratification.

As for the number in my "handle:" I just picked the No. 19 arbitrarily. I had no idea anyone else was using the same number. I never intended to be in anyone else's "flock."

But, I do appreciate MaineBBFan19's contention that I brings, as he says, quantitative evidence into a discussion. Hopefully, he's not the only one who thinks that way.

I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to be objective in my views.

But, if someone is throwing opinions out there that have no basis in fact, no quantitative evidence to support them, i'm passionate enough to try to counter those opinions.

Sorry if you perceive that as being negative.
But, I view your convoluted theories, opinions without supportive evidence, to be an insult to those in this forum who come here for real information and logical beliefs.
When I've tried to counter some of your theories/opinions, I've tried to do so by presenting logical arguments with facts and quantitative evidence.
That's something you rarely do.

I promise to stop being so "negative" when you stop putting out just foolish, insupportable theories ... like that having 8 Maine-bred players on its roster would be beneficial for the UMaine men's program.

OK, it's fine to have that opinion, but it's equally fair game to dispute that theory, particularly when there's conclusive evidence to show it wouldn't work.

Otherwise, Merry Christmas 55.

19: I base my opinions on my 73 years of basketball experience as a high school and college player, high school coach, high school and college official, radio/TV commentator, author of 2 basketball books (1 nationally), writing my Blog and Column and talking to knowlegable UMaine men's and women's basketball teams fans icluding former UMaine players and coaches.. Experience has to count for something and I try to use facts and figures to support my posts and theories. If you wish to agree to disagree positively, tht would be an improvement, but to say I don't have anything to back up my posts then you have to be dismissing my actual experience in the game for 73 years from all possible angles.

I am not a theorist, I am a practicable basketball person who bases his ideas, philosophies and observations of the game based on my years of experience in the game.

We can agree to disagree so longs as it is positive and not have to be critical of each other and each other's ideas.

Each can cast our opinions and let the MBR readers decide who they agree or disagree with without saying the other person does not know what they are talking about or their ideas have no validity or would or would not work.Like "Fox News" says, "You decide" after presentations by different sides of the political realm.

You and I present our reasons why we think what the other is posting or replying to will work or not work and not just say you have no proof that it will or will not work. Theory of why things won't in work or you have no proof doesn't always cut it unless you have tried it yourself as a player, coach or official in basketball.

Everyone has a right to have an opinion and I have respected that here on MBR since it's inception years ago.

OK, 19, you too have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
bcbc55

Postby mainah57 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:42 pm

Seeing Maine19Fan and MaineBBFan19 user names are similar, I can see why you would support 19 as "birds of a feather stick together"

...Except that the second username is actually 'MaineBBFan99'. Not both 19s. I don't think it's some weird conspiracy with people with the same name. For the record, I have also enjoyed MaineBBFan19's posts as well, and have found a lot of his posts to be very well-reasoned and logical. A nice breath of fresh air around here.

bcbc, I understand and respect that you have 73+ years of basketball experience. That's great. But IMO it's important to also couple that knowledge with willingness to hear and understand new perspectives, especially given that the D1 college game is very different from the high school game (as others have pointed out).

Like "Fox News" says, "You decide" after presentations by different sides of the political realm.

Yes, let's base our approach here on Fox News... great idea. Truly fair and balanced. :roll: :lol: :lol: (note, this is sarcastic...). Not trying to make this political at all, but I just couldn't let that line go... :lol:

But yes, to all people here (regardless of opinions), Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
mainah57

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:57 pm

mainah57 wrote:
Seeing Maine19Fan and MaineBBFan19 user names are similar, I can see why you would support 19 as "birds of a feather stick together"

...Except that the second username is actually 'MaineBBFan99'. Not both 19s. I don't think it's some weird conspiracy with people with the same name. For the record, I have also enjoyed MaineBBFan19's posts as well, and have found a lot of his posts to be very well-reasoned and logical. A nice breath of fresh air around here.

bcbc, I understand and respect that you have 73+ years of basketball experience. That's great. But IMO it's important to also couple that knowledge with willingness to hear and understand new perspectives, especially given that the D1 college game is very different from the high school game (as others have pointed out).

Like "Fox News" says, "You decide" after presentations by different sides of the political realm.

Yes, let's base our approach here on Fox News... great idea. Truly fair and balanced. :roll: :lol: :lol: (note, this is sarcastic...). Not trying to make this political at all, but I just couldn't let that line go... :lol:

But yes, to all people here (regardless of opinions), Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

Mainah57: Agree with your posts points, but do the people posting about the college game have any college playing experience or coaching experience to base their opinions on? I take all the posts in and read them, but that does not mean I have to agree with them anymore then they have to agree with me. At least I have worn the shoes of coaches and the sneakers of players and officials. What is that old saying?, "before criticizing someone we probably should have walked inn their shoes" just a little.

Glad you enjoyed the "Fox News" line.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you also.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:44 pm

55: It's nice to have 7 decades of a connection to basketball, but yours is almost exclusively on the high school level and in a far different era. The sport has changed dramatically. It's pretty clear that your "connection" brought very little understanding of modern basketball at the D1 level.

Yes, you need to back up your posts with real evidence and perspective, otherwise they're just unsupported theories.

Very little, if anything, that you post is supported by fact. And the facts you present rarely have any perspective.

You demean the Maine men's scheduling policy (theory) but you refuse to contact anyone connected with the school to discover the reasoning (that would be discovering the facts).
You bemoan Maine's alleged abundance of 3-point attempts without looking into whether it's an anomaly or, for any number of reasons, it's the way the game is played in the modern era.
You refuse to support your contention with facts about whether two point shots produce more points per attempt than three pointers.
Your thoughts on three-point shooting, without putting numbers in perspective, are theories only.

Your theories come from talking to other fans? Yeah, that works.
You've talked to Maine coaches? Yet, you've admitted a fear of calling the Maine coaching office for fear they'd hang up on you.
You strongly advocate hiring only coaches from Maine at our D1 college? And, how did Cindy Blodgett work out?

Again, your own coaching experience is at the high school level, not only one vastly different from college but one from decades ago and, usually (according to you) with more talent than opponents. Please come into the modern era. You do know that we've invented the wheel.

Your ideas/philosophies/observations have no perspective, you provide no quantitative evidence for the majority of your opinions. You throw out facts and figures without any perspective of their true meaning.

You want the Maine men's team to have a minimum of 8 players on its roster. That's your "theory."
Yet, the list that YOU provided identified just TWO D1 players from our state over the past four seasons. That's a fact, and quantitative evidence to counter your "theory."
And, somehow, the Maine women's program has thrived in recent years without much of a Maine presence. That's a fact, not a theory.

Don't worry about my having walked in those shoes, because I have. But, I don't feel the need to stoke my own ego, to constantly proclaim my own view of my self worth by attaching my name to anything. And, you seem to forget that it's the quality of the message, and not the messenger, that carries the most credibility.

None of this is meant to be negative. Forums like this are a place to exchange ideas. If you have an opinion, and someone wants to dispute your thoughts, that's what's going to happen. If I dispute something you've said, I've tried to do so by backing up my disagreement with supportive evidence.

You love trite axioms. This one fits: If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Again, I don't mean to be negative. There's no name-calling. I barely know you at all, except from this forum. I'm just trying to present some intelligent and knowledgable thoughts (hopefully) about our state's D1 program. If it's your unsupported theories that precipitate counter points, so be it. The solution is that you post fewer unsubstantiated opinions and more perspective.

And, despite our disagreements I do sincerely wish you a Merry Christmas.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:55: It's nice to have 7 decades of a connection to basketball, but yours is almost exclusively on the high school level and in a far different era. The sport has changed dramatically. It's pretty clear that your "connection" brought very little understanding of modern basketball at the D1 level.

Yes, you need to back up your posts with real evidence and perspective, otherwise they're just unsupported theories.

Very little, if anything, that you post is supported by fact. And the facts you present rarely have any perspective.

You demean the Maine men's scheduling policy (theory) but you refuse to contact anyone connected with the school to discover the reasoning (that would be discovering the facts).
You bemoan Maine's alleged abundance of 3-point attempts without looking into whether it's an anomaly or, for any number of reasons, it's the way the game is played in the modern era.
You refuse to support your contention with facts about whether two point shots produce more points per attempt than three pointers.
Your thoughts on three-point shooting, without putting numbers in perspective, are theories only.

Your theories come from talking to other fans? Yeah, that works.
You've talked to Maine coaches? Yet, you've admitted a fear of calling the Maine coaching office for fear they'd hang up on you.
You strongly advocate hiring only coaches from Maine at our D1 college? And, how did Cindy Blodgett work out?

Again, your own coaching experience is at the high school level, not only one vastly different from college but one from decades ago and, usually (according to you) with more talent than opponents. Please come into the modern era. You do know that we've invented the wheel.

Your ideas/philosophies/observations have no perspective, you provide no quantitative evidence for the majority of your opinions. You throw out facts and figures without any perspective of their true meaning.

You want the Maine men's team to have a minimum of 8 players on its roster. That's your "theory."
Yet, the list that YOU provided identified just TWO D1 players from our state over the past four seasons. That's a fact, and quantitative evidence to counter your "theory."
And, somehow, the Maine women's program has thrived in recent years without much of a Maine presence. That's a fact, not a theory.

Don't worry about my having walked in those shoes, because I have. But, I don't feel the need to stoke my own ego, to constantly proclaim my own view of my self worth by attaching my name to anything. And, you seem to forget that it's the quality of the message, and not the messenger, that carries the most credibility.

None of this is meant to be negative. Forums like this are a place to exchange ideas. If you have an opinion, and someone wants to dispute your thoughts, that's what's going to happen. If I dispute something you've said, I've tried to do so by backing up my disagreement with supportive evidence.

You love trite axioms. This one fits: If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Again, I don't mean to be negative. There's no name-calling. I barely know you at all, except from this forum. I'm just trying to present some intelligent and knowledgable thoughts (hopefully) about our state's D1 program. If it's your unsupported theories that precipitate counter points, so be it. The solution is that you post fewer unsubstantiated opinions and more perspective.

And, despite our disagreements I do sincerely wish you a Merry Christmas.

19: Very interesting post. But, I am set in my basketball ways and you and anybody else can discredit me all you want it is not going to change my mind and seeing I have been on MBR since it's inception year ago I will just continue on my no-nothing ways, arm chair quarterbacking, etc. of the UMaine men's basketball program.

You may continue to critique me so long as it is not negative...."Arm chair" no-nothing is name calling and name calling is negative in my opinion.

Remember it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks ( I can name call myself).

However, the basket is still 10 feet from the floor, the rim is still 18" in diameter, the ball is 9" in diameter, which makes the stationary target twice as big as the ball that players are trying to put in the basket and the team that scores the most points still wins.

Two biggest changes in the college game are the shot clock and the three point shot.

The biggest changes in the players are they are bigger, stronger, quicker. jump higher and faster and have more athletic skills because of their physical skills listed, but they do not play the game from the shoulders up as well as basketball players playing basketball do.

I just prefer to have the game played from the shoulders up which is what I call the 6 inch game. 6 inches up from the players adams apple to his brain and 6 inches for his apple adams down to his heart and anthing below the heart is athleticism (the core and the legs).

"A good fast team cannot make a good slow team go fast, but a good slow team can make a good fast team go slow".

Not you or anybody else on MBR are going to get me to change my mind abut the game regardless of what you do to disparage me about my old time philosophy. To stuck in my old basketball thinking to change now. Several here on MBR have tried and I am still posting and they are long gone.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, notice I did not use "Happy Holidays", never have, never will.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:08 pm

We'll agree on this, 55: It's always "Merry Christmas."

But, when it comes to basketball, please try to understand that the wheel has been invented. We have discovered fire.

Your views on basketball might have been workable a few decades ago. Many of them wouldn't work now.

The game, as you admit, is played by bigger, stronger and faster athletes. Coaches and players have adjusted to that.
But, your views of the game show that you haven't made the adjustment.
The college game is vastly different than it was 20 or 30 years ago.
And, it's a world removed from your high school experiences.

Basketball in our state has changed, too. There might have been a time (although, I am hard-pressed to recall one) when there were 8 to 10 players from Maine who could have come together to play effectively on the D1 level.

But, that hasn't been the case in some time. It most certainly is not the case right now. And, it doesn't look like that's going to be the case any time in the immediate future.
Maine19Fan

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics