Top High School Basketball Prospects in Maine

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Top High School Basketball Prospects in Maine

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 am

Outside of Moss has anyone seen any of these kids play this year?

Are any Division 1 prospects?

Can UMAINE get any of them?

Maine Class of 2018
Updated: November 20, 2017
Ranking Recruit Class Height High School Committed School
1 Terion Moss 2018 5'10" Portland HS
2 Taylor Schildroth 2018 5'11" George Stevens Academy
3 Jacob Godfrey 2018 6'6" Hermon HS
4 David Keohan 2018 6'4" Thornton Academy
5 Nolan Hagerty 2018 6'6" Yarmouth HS
6 Edwin Ezedonmwen 2018 6'2" Hyde School
7 Keenan Marseille 2018 6'2" Hermon HS
8 Calvin Carter 2018 6'4" Bridgton Academy
9 Zack Mittelstadt 2018 6'3" Gould Academy
10 Charlie Considine 2018 6'6" Bridgton Academy
basketball_guy

Re: Top High School Basketball Prospects in Maine

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:00 am

Can UMAINE land any of these kids from these high schools and Prep Schools in New Hampshire?

It seems to me until UMAINE can get a Coach who can recruit from these Prep Schools in Maine and
New Hampshire (and I am not just talking about Lee Academy because if you notice Lee Academy had
no one in the Top 10 this year in Maine) because all these schools have Division 1 prospects then UMAINE
is going to continue to have issues in their basketball program. But it all starts with the Head Coach. If I
were the AD at Maine I would go after another Assistant Coach in New England who is Coaching at the Division
1 level right now and is familiar with recruiting with these Prep Schools. New England has over 250 Prep Schools
alone without mentioning any of the high schools. That would seem to be a very fertile recruiting market for
basketball talent that currently UMAINE is not doing a very good job of working. That I think is the biggest
issue.

New Hampshire Class of 2018
Updated: August 17, 2017
Ranking Recruit Class Height High School Committed School
1 Marcus Zegarowski 2018 6'1" Tilton School Creighton
2 Lukas Kisunas 2018 6'10" Brewster Academy UConn
3 Nate Roberts 2018 6'10" Brewster Academy Washington
4 Philmon Gebrewhit 2018 6'6" Holderness School
5 Shandon Brown 2018 5'9" New Hampton George Washington
6 Tayler Mattos 2018 6'10" Kearsarge HS
7 Eze Dike 2018 6'1" Kimball Union Academy Yale
8 Nick Timberlake 2018 6'3" Kimball Union Academy
9 Max Zegarowski 2018 6'7" Tilton School
10 Ben Eckstrom 2018 6'6" Phillips Exeter Academy
basketball_guy

Postby fromthebench » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:25 am

I'll add three more from the class of 2018 that need a year of prep school to be scholarship prospects.
John Kane 6'8" Center, Greely
Finn Bove 6'4" Combo Guard Cape Elizabeth
Connor Buckley 6'0" Point Guard SOPO

Kane is a classic late bloomer, I don't think he's done growing, good hands and knows how to play, needs to mature physically but he passes my big man test.
Bove lost a year to injury which killed his recruiting, great shooter and passer, high release on his shot will translate well to the college game.
Buckley has the highest basketball IQ and a killer instinct. Needs a year to put on some muscle. Consistently draws double teams from opponents. Scarborough put the 6'7" Fiorini on him.
fromthebench

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Yes I was going to say none of these top 10 players in Maine have been offered a scholarship to a
Division 1 school at this point let alone any other colleges from what I can see.

New Hampshire has a number of Prep Schools and UMAINE should be hitting that recruiting area hard.

You may correct on Maines players.
basketball_guy

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:56 pm

UMaine should indeed be looking at players in N.H. The very strong guess is that the staff knows those players well.

In fact, the Maine staff should be looking at players wherever they can find them. That includes junior colleges, overseas and by keeping an eye for impact transfers or grad-school candidates.

The Maine men's program needs to think outside the proverbial box to find players. It has worked for the women's program.

But, most definitely, the answer is not to only bring in two or three players from our state every year ... as a certain poster strongly advocates.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:UMaine should indeed be looking at players in N.H. The very strong guess is that the staff knows those players well.

In fact, the Maine staff should be looking at players wherever they can find them. That includes junior colleges, overseas and by keeping an eye for impact transfers or grad-school candidates.

The Maine men's program needs to think outside the proverbial box to find players. It has worked for the women's program.

But, most definitely, the answer is not to only bring in two or three players from our state every year ... as a certain poster strongly advocates.

Maine19Fan: I am not the only person on here that thinks that the 2 best 2 Mainers a year would do as well as what has happened the last 3 plus years. By the way, when Woodward was here Maine went international, Canada, where do you think Barron got his contacts from for overseas. From Doug Leishner, Woodwards assistant for 9 years, that is were Baron got his contacts from. Doug should have been made interim coach for a year after they let Woodard go. After Doug, left Maine has not gone overseas directly to bring them back across the Atlantic like Doug did. Walsh should have kept Doug on. He was also good working with the Post players. He is currently in China coaching in the Pro League there. Is that international enough for you?
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:If others ... and, hopefully, there aren't many ... advocate a minimum of two players from Maine every year, then they are as delusional as you!

I challenged you to provide a list of 8 players from Maine from the past four seasons (2014-15 through the current season) who are currently active who would have had any impact at Maine.

You proved my point by submitting a list that included just TWO players (Mayo/Fleming) who could play effectively at the D1 level. And, Mayo wasn't ever coming to Maine. He was far too good to play at that level.
You even had a few D3 players on your list, as if D3 players could even make a D1 roster.

Need we continue that discussion?

Yeah, bring in a bunch of D2/D3 players from Maine and MAYBE (doubtful, though) they could go 15-47 like the team did over the past two seasons.
Is that what you want? No one wants to watch a team lose more than 75% of its games. No one wants to watch a mediocre league's last-place team.
But that's what you're advocating for ... a litany of 5-25 seasons with a bunch of Maine players who aren't capable of playing at the D1 level.

As for international contacts ... doesn't matter where they come from. There are many, many coaches out there with international contacts. Considering that there are two foreign players on the current roster, someone on the staff must have some international connections, wouldn't you say?

If Leichner has to coach in China as an assistant, that's not saying much. Yes, China is international. So, tell us ... how many players from China have come to the U.S. to be successful college players? Has there been even one that has ever played in the AE?

And, you keep talking abut Woodward. You do recall that he was fired, that Maine so much wanted to get rid of him that it bought out the last 13 months of his contract?

Evidently, Leichner wasn't that effective an international recruiter if the staff he served on finished 29-59 in its last three seasons at Maine and, then, the staff he worked on got fired with more than a year left on its contract

19: No matter who comes in as the new coach and who they recruit the Maine program is going to continue down it's historical losing past and that being the case, if Maine is going to continue to lose I would rather see it with Maine kids 1 or 2 a year then bringing in the players who only come to Maine because it was their only D-1 offer. If they were true D-1ers they would be somewhere else playing. Or after they get here they transfer out to greener pastures.

The same with the coaches using the job as a stepping stone when they did win (Brian McCall 51.6 winning % and Dr. John Giannini 52.9 winning % the only coaches with winning career marks since 1949) or they are gone after being fired like Woodward or not having their contract renewed (a polite firing) probably like Walsh after this season.

Skip Chappelle, a true Mainer as a HS and College player and coach who has the 3rd best winning percentage at 48.9% and he had winning seasons 10 out of 17 while McCall had 5 of 10 and Dr. John had 4 of 8. Skip used Maine kids.

So I would like to see Mainer Chris Markwood at the helm having 8 Mainer's, 3 out of state or international players and 3 walk on tryout players on the 14 man roster and Maine would be no worse then it has been the past 3 plus seasons of 21-85 overall and 13 and 85 against D-1 competition.

Remember last winning season was 2009-10 19-10 with 3 Mainers starting and 2 more would have been starting so Maine would have had 5 Mainers starting if the 2 had not left the team one after his soph year and one after his junior year when he lead Maine in scoring.

If Maine is going to have to commit basketball suicide then I want them to determine the method ( a gun as it has a shot) used and maybe they just might foul it up and actually by accident miss their shot attempt and they could have a winning season like they did in 2009-10 using 3 Mainers in the starting lineup only this time with a Mainer as the coach.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:If Maine follows your sage advice (note the sarcasm) and brings in 8-to-10 Maine players over the next four years, yes, it will continue to lose, and lose bigger than it has in recent years.

You can't bring in a bunch of D2/D3 players and expect to win ANY games vs. D1 opponents.
Not even if you coached them! Again, note the sarcasm.

EVERY coach views Maine as a stepping stone. It's one of the lowest-paying D1 jobs in the country. Who woud want to stay here if there were ever an opportunity to move on and double or triple his salary? We should hope that a coach comes in here and does well enough to attract interest from elsewhere.

Yeah, that 48% winning percentage is exactly what we want (more sarcasm). I know that's better than recent years, but we should want better than sub-.500.

You've already disproved your contention that Maine produces enough players to fill a D1 roster. You came up with a list and identified two (TWO) legit D1 players.

Please give it up. Every time you take up this cause makes you look worse. Yes, doing what you advocate is program suicide. No coach would come here under those guidelines.

By doing what you advocate, the next move would be to drop down to the D3 level. Is that what you want?

19: How could Maine be much worse then 1-11 vs D-1 competition right now?
Right now Maine could have had 6'9" Mayo (Mayo Was considering Maine until) 6'10" Cimino, 6'8" McDevitt, 6'7" Fleming to along with 6'1" Calixe, 6'6" Er, 6'6" White and 69" Antoms is a good sized lineup for America L'east.

Right now look at today's Pomeroy RPI AE Standings. America east Conference is currently 27th of 32 conferences in realtimerpi.com
Rank...Team..W-L
76...Vermont 8-5
174..Albany..11-3
171..Stonybk.5-6
196..UMBC....8-5
217..Bingham.8-6
268..UNH......3-10
283..UMass-L..8-5
320..Hartford..6-7
335..Maine.....1-11
Total ...........58-58

With talent available right now using just 8 players, Er, Fleming, White, Calixe, Antoms, Lowndes, Dusan M, Illija S, having a decent inside-outside game to get open threes, along with good dribble penetration and kick out passes for threes, slowing the half court offense down to make better basketball decisions for better shot selection, fewer turnovers (12 or less a game), reduce offensive fouls (Player control and team contro fouls along with defensive fouls) and shoot 75% from the line there is no reason why Maine should not finish ahead of Hartford, UML, UNH, UMBC and Bing to finish 4th and get a home game for the tournament and wi that quarter-final game.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:55: First, Mayo stopped considering Maine after he grew from 6-foot-5 to 6-foot-8. Maine was NEVER a serious contender.

And, here we go again on the other guys.
Cimino got recruited by GW because of his height, he was a project that didn't work out there. He is woefully slender (6-10, 212 pounds). He transferred to American University, which plays in the Patriot League, a half step below America East. He can barely get on the court for American. In terms of minutes played, he's 9th on the depth chart. That's going to help Maine?

Mike McDevitt is a good player on a very mediocre Division 2-level team. I repeat: Division 2!!!

Fleming is a role player, the 4th leading scorer on a bad Maine team.

If you think that UMBC and Binghamton are inferior AE teams, then you're not paying attention.

Give it a break.

Seriously, Maine has a chance for 5th or 6th if things break in its favor. But, that's about it.

It sounds like you want to coach at Maine.
But, the only worse thing than having bad players is having a bad coach!

You've got plenty of advice. Unfortunately, it might have worked on a mediocre h.s. level 40 years ago. It wouldn't work now.

You should leave the coaching to real coaches.

19: Sorry, but you do not know the real reason why Mayo did not go to Maine.

Try 17 years ago. I have no desire to coach at any level at my age.

What real coaches in a program that is 21-85 overall and 13-85 vs. D-1 competitions seasons. More like supervisors of substitutions with their 10-11 player rotation.

Notice you have not given the answer to your basketball high school and college playing experience or your high school or college officiating experience.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:55, believe me, I know why Mayo didn't go to Maine.
Could it be because Maine lightly recruited him when he was 6-5? And, when he grew to 6-8/6-9, bigger/better programs offered? He NEVER seriously considered Maine.
Please enlighten us otherwise.

That God you're not going to get back into coaching. Players and fans everywhere are rejoicing. Bad enough that your coaching now is the arm-chair variety!

Please take note that revealing my basketball experience is not a requisite to either post in these forums, or to do so with a little expertise.

Having 73 years around basketball does not qualify anyone as a credible commentator on college basketball as it is played today.

19: And that is just your opinion. Could it be that you did not play high school or college basketball or reffed high school or college basketball and you are the armchair no-nothing as the old saying goes, "It takes one to know one".

Here are the different ways to get threes

1. ball goes inside to the low block and then back out to the open 3 point shooter because his defender has double downed to double team the player with or without the ball.

2. dribble penetration and then the kick out pass to the open 3 point shooter whose defender had to help out on the dribble penetration

3. perimeter to perimeter passes for threes.

4. Ball reversal perimeter passes.

5. Wing cutters and also off screens to opposite side of court to other opposite wing side and perimeter pass

6. Screens away from ball on perimeter 3 point shooter

7. Screen to the 3 point shooter on the ball and off the dribble

8. 1 on 1 off the dribble.

Have I missed any other ways to get threes?

Wonder how many coaches at any level even chart how they get the 3's by each individual player.

Easy to do: Just list the ways to get threes above and put the players number beside it when he attempts a three and then circle the number if he makes the three.

I have charted college games this way and it showed the best ways to get the highest percentage for 3's.

Care to list them in that order 1 thru 8 above with 1 being the most effective % wise?

Do it for a game, it is interesting.
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics