Central Connecticut hammers Maine 84-57

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Central Connecticut hammers Maine 84-57

Postby Linguist » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:24 am

bcbc55 wrote:
Remember I stated on this plan that All would go to prep school after high school for year
6'10" Cimino-American U - never played a second of Maine HS basketball, and washed out of his first school
6'5 Hyland-Gonzago-Fairfield-Bentley - don't forget he was going to come to Maine and Vermont in there too, but the kid can't find happiness anywhere, and washed out of multiple D1 Schools. Clearly a D2 player at best.
6'6"McFarland-Bentley - Has had a good D2 career, but would have been destroyed by the likes of Jameel Warney in America East.
6'8" McDevitt-Franlin-Pierce - 1,000 point scorer, but averaged just 12 points and 5 rebounds a game.
6'7" Furness-Bentley - 14 points, and 5 rebounds a game in D2, perhaps but I doubt it
6'3" THomas-MCI South Carolina college don't know name, but it is a D-1 school - Tristan Thomas of SC Upstate from Bangor? - played sparingly at best averaged 2 points 1 rebound, not an impact player at a low D1 school in a low D1 conference.
6'9" Mayo-Eastern Kentucky - we've been over this, and disagree, he was never coming to Maine. But he is a true D1 player.
6'6" Bouchard-Bentley - 6'5" is more accurate, and he is averaging 5 points a game in D2. Probably not making a D1 difference.
6'6" Z. Gilpin-Bentley - again, 6'6" in his dreams, he is scoring 13 a game, and maybe should have gotten a look, but what level would he impact a D1 team?
6'5" Martin-Husson - hahaha good one. He can't jump from D3 Husson to D1 Maine in any form.
8'7" Fleming-UMaine - 8'7" is a little taller than he appears to be. I thought he'd be good, but this season has been a disappointment, he clearly is a D1 player though. Probably should be a 6th man.
6'1" Coyne-Bates - no. under no circumstances would he play D1.
6'6" Hudson-Bentley - 6 points 4 rebounds a game. At D2. What does that translate to in Division 1? Practice body?

This years high school senior next year's freshmen
5'10" Moss-Portland - Let's see if he can go at that level, 5-10" is scary, and we've all heard the legend of Dustin Cole who can't get it done in D2, will Moss be any better.
6'8" McDevitt-Gorham - size wise he works, but can he shoot and rebound at that level, does he have the quicks?
6'1" Shildroth-GSA - shot is way to low of a release and way to slow. No chance.
6'3' Shea-EL - I know nothing about him.

Will name more as season progresses.

I added notes on all of the above.

I count 2 legit D1 players in that list. Mayo and Fleming.

I count marginal 4 D1 players - Cimino, Hyland, Thompson, Gilpin,

I count 4 question marks - McDevitt, Furness, McDevitt, and Moss.

There is 1 I have no clue on, the rest are not D1 players, and that spans well more than 4 years and you can't even find enough D1 players in the state to fulfill your list without reaching for projects.
Linguist

Postby fromthebench » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:00 am

Once again I'm shocked by the negativity. The anti-Maine bias lives on and I'm with bcbc on this one. The players he listed are head and shoulders above the product UMaine has put on the court the last 8 years. It's not even debatable.
fromthebench

Postby Linguist » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:52 am

fromthebench wrote:Once again I'm shocked by the negativity. The anti-Maine bias lives on and I'm with bcbc on this one. The players he listed are head and shoulders above the product UMaine has put on the court the last 8 years. It's not even debatable.

ok, I will play along.

Tell me how Kyle Bouchard is better than Justin Edwards?
Show me how Justin Martin is better than Ali Fraser?
Prove to me Alex Furness is better than Devine Eke?
Please list how Tyler McFarland is a better basketball player than Isaac Vann?

Shall I go on busting you up or are you done?

Tell me how Tristan Thomas is better than Xavier Pollard?
Can you definitively say Keegan Hyland is a better player than Shawn Lawton?

Come on. Don't make bold statements that can be just blistered like that.
Linguist

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:11 am

Walsh never had Edwards, Pollard, or Fraser. If he had them, he would've had a winning season. Ted Woodward should have been fired immediately following the season when Edwards and Pollard were Soph's. He also had: Fraser at the 4 and Mike Allison at center and I believe they only won 11 games. A travesty! All 4 are playing some level of professional basketball now.
Walsh coaches his team hard in practice. They get after it. Run a lot. Perhaps they over train? Some kids don't want to work or practice hard. They get their egos put in check and they want to go home. Unfortunate, but that's where we are at. He can recruit and if not for the transfers of Vann, Eke, Myers, Little and Harewood and the injury to Vince Eze, Maine would be in the top half of the league right now. Tough to replace all that talent.
Walsh now has maybe 4 legit D1 players on the current roster and number 5 is out for the season. Would a team of Bouchard, Gilpin,McDevitt, Martin, Hudson etc. do any better? probably not. You can't lump the others against the current Maine roster as they have already graduated from their respective schools. Can't add Mayo and Cimino as they never would've gone to Maine.
Blind Zebra

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:21 am

Wow, what a list.
First, the challenge was to provide a list of impact D1 players currently playing, so careers that started in 2014-15.
The list includes three players -- McFarland, McDevitt and Furness -- who haven't played since the 2015-16 season. And, all were D2 players.
Division 1 impact players?
Players who would have turned Maine around?
C'mon, get real.
The ONLY players on the list that are true D1 players are Mayo, who is way too good to have gone to Maine, and Fleming, who is a decent player already at Maine.

Hyland would have been a good D1 player were it not for career-long injuries, and he wound up as a D2 player.

More details to come, after I get done laughing.

The only coach who could bring this group together and have it become a decent D1 competitive team is bcbc55 ... in his own mind!
Maine19Fan

Postby fromthebench » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:59 am

With the possible exception of Edwards, I don't think the players you listed were very good. Great athletes who played from the neck down. (to quote bcbc) Poor decision makers. They find creative ways to lose. I'd take bcbc's list over them. They played from the neck up. I remember Macfarland (the all time leading scorer at Bentley) scoring 30 points against Boston College. Don't think Maine has had a guy capable of doing that.
fromthebench

Postby fromthebench » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:14 am

One more thing, if the out of state players would stay and not use Maine as a prep school I might agree with you. The benefit of the Maine players is they stay for their junior and senior years.
fromthebench

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:04 am

Couldn't say it much better than Linquist, who has terrific insight on this topic.

Mayo tis he only impact D1 player in the group, and he was never coming to Maine. Fleming is a decent role player, not an impact player. But, I'll give you Fleming. There's one D1 contributor.

And, you're picking guys on the D3 level (Martin at Husson, Coyne at Bates) as D1 impact players?
Are you serious?
The only thing serious is your lack of what it takes to be successful at the D1 level.

I could go down the list, player by player, to show how none of these players would help Maine, but Linquist did it for me.

You picked a bunch of D2 and D3 players to try to make a point, tried to pass them off as impactful D1-level players. Some of the guys on the list weren't even real good at the D2 level. The two D-3 guys aren't even real impact players at that level.

Plus, the challenge was to find 8 players currently playing D1, players whose careers began in 2014-15, who, together, would help turn Maine around. Yet, three of the players on your list were finished playing after the 2015-16 season. Not only were they not real good players, but they didn't qualify as current college players.

You could send this list of players to prep school for five years and they still wouldn't become impact D1 players.

There is no "negativity" in this, no bias against players from our state.
Just objectivity. We should be willing to discuss basketball topics by being honest, not by being provincial.

Players always gravitate to the highest level at which they're recruited.
It says it all that almost all the players on your list, 55, wound up at the D2 and D3 levels. Some of them aren't even real good at those levels.

You, 55, have most definitely failed the challenge. Your list proves my point.
Maine19Fan

Postby fromthebench » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:22 am

I don't think we should paint all D2 and D3 players with the same brush. After all, Husson, USM and UMFK (D3) have all defeated Maine in recent years. How is this possible unless they had some D1 talent on their teams? What these teams had in common was upperclassmen who had improved.

The D2 players from Maine were all in Top 20 D2 programs that went to the NCAA tournament. I would argue that Top 20 D2 programs are better than and have better players than D1 programs (Like Maine) with RPI's over 300. So it follows that all of bcbc's players would have improved the Maine program.

Finally, when was the last time an out of state player at Maine averaged 10 points per game (or close to it) and didn't transfer? Please name this player.
fromthebench

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:04 pm

The reason players are at the D2 and D3 levels is that they're D2/D3-level players.

Most of the guys on bcbc55's list aren't even real good players at those levels.
You tell me, who from that list would truly have an impact playing for Maine?
Mayo, Fleming. That's it. And, Fleming is a role player, not an impact player.

Top 20 D2 programs are most definitely NOT better than D1 programs of any rating. To think that is ludicrous.
Let's see that list of bcbc55's try playing against Vermont, Albany, Binghamton, UMBC, etc.

As you should know, when a D1 program plays against a lower-level opponent, it doesn't have a lot of incentive.
A couple of years ago, LeMoyne defeated Syracuse in an exhibition game; More recently St. Thomas Aquinas knocked off St. John's.
Did those teams have better talent than the high-level D1 opponents? Of course not, but they had major incentive, wanting to knock off the big boys while the better opponents really had nothing to play for.
The D1 programs experiment with lineups, etc. The DiI/DIII teams play those "up" games like they're the championship game of the NCAA tournament.

If that Syracuse team played LeMoyne in a meaningful game, it would have won by 30 points 10 times out of 10. Same with the St. John's team that lost to Thomas Aquinas.

And, did you know this? The last time Maine lost to a lower-level program, when it fell to Maine Fort Kent last season ....
MFK had one (ONE!) player from Maine on its roster.
Seven players from California, three from overseas, two from NYC, one from Arizona.

There aren't even enough good college-level players from our state to stock our lower-division programs.
Maine19Fan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics