Central Connecticut hammers Maine 84-57

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Central Connecticut hammers Maine 84-57

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Ok but this is his last year. He signed a four year deal.

How much are we talking do you think?

basketball_guy: Probably over $100,000 a year. Pro-rate in by the time left if they let him go during this season.

Maine just was not going to eat that for this year. Nor do I think they will eat it for part of a season either.

Although I would not be against doing it NOW and giving Bob Simon the job as interim for the rest of the year and paying him off cause it would be under $100,000 by now.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Question to throw out there...who does Maine have for legit D1 talent on this roster?
Isaiah White is someone to build around. Calixte, though error prone, is a capable talent. After that...realistically Fleming, Lowndes and Er would be a great 6th, 7th and 8th man. Overall, the roster is devoid of frontline players.
Coach Walsh isn't the greatest in game coach, strategist or what have you, but let's not pretend that he has a stable of thoroughbreds chomping at the bit. My major complaints with him are: spends too much time riding the officials for no reason, line up choices and combinations don't make sense at times, would like to see a shorter rotation but he's often searching for answers.
He was left with a rag tag Woodward Wreckage of a roster who had 1 legit D1 player in Shaun Lawton. He brought talent into the fold and most has since left the program (Eke, Vann, Myers, Little, Harewood etc). He's rebuilding a second time now. Don't know if he's going to get the chance to see it through? They dump him and bring in a new coach, they will lose more transfers and be back at square one anyway.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:08 am

Blind Zebra wrote:Question to throw out there...who does Maine have for legit D1 talent on this roster?
Isaiah White is someone to build around. Calixte, though error prone, is a capable talent. After that...realistically Fleming, Lowndes and Er would be a great 6th, 7th and 8th man. Overall, the roster is devoid of frontline players.
Coach Walsh isn't the greatest in game coach, strategist or what have you, but let's not pretend that he has a stable of thoroughbreds chomping at the bit. My major complaints with him are: spends too much time riding the officials for no reason, line up choices and combinations don't make sense at times, would like to see a shorter rotation but he's often searching for answers.
He was left with a rag tag Woodward Wreckage of a roster who had 1 legit D1 player in Shaun Lawton. He brought talent into the fold and most has since left the program (Eke, Vann, Myers, Little, Harewood etc). He's rebuilding a second time now. Don't know if he's going to get the chance to see it thr ough? They dump him and bring in a new coach, they will lose more transfers and be back at square one anyway.

BZ: Don't like the half-court offense they are running to get 3's as it is the same offense that the women;s team is using to get 3's. The women are only shooting 30.8% using it on 95 of 310. No inside-outside game to get open 3's. Both teams Rely way too much on the three as right now the men are attempting 341 3 point attempts of their 767 field goal attempts which is 44.4%. They are only shooting 29.5% from 3 point land on 101 of 341. This offense has got the women to take 43.8% of their field goal attempts as 3's on 325 3 attempts of 749 FGA's.

Tonight the men only had 4 assists on 18 hoops. Also, Maine plays too mny players.

Yeah, the 11 players that transferred would beat this current Maine team.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:19 am

Coach Newton told us in practice one day that the game is 90 percent mental and 10 percent talent.
I don't know that I buy that but unfortunately Maine has had this losing going on for so long not just
under Walsh but under Woodward as well that it seems to be ingrained in the psyche. I never was on a
losing team in college so I don't know what that is about. I was on a team in Junior College that won its
first 15 in a row before we even lost a game and it was all about getting ourselves psyched up for the game.

It is exciting to ride a winning streak honestly. But by the same token it has got to be dam difficult on the players
when you start riding a losing streak.

Somehow either Simon takes over and gets on them about this losing stuff. It is not ingrained and it can be
corrected but they need to get fired up about playing the game. Tonite they were out of it before the game even
started.
basketball_guy

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:15 am

CCSU drops Maine men's basketball 84-57

NEW BRITAIN, C.T. - Maine men's basketball traveled down to Connecticut looking for its second win against a Division I squad this season, but a slow start would doom the Black Bears from the start.

Maine stumbled to the finish line Wednesday night against Central Connecticut State, losing 84-57 and falling to 3-10 on the year.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/23 ... ball-84-57
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mainejeff » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:19 am

Dump Walsh now. Assistant as interim HC for rest of season. If someone transfers....who cares!

How much of this carnage do we have to see??? Transfers, injuries, locker room fights, losses...lots of LOSSES! Good grief..... :| :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:
mainejeff

Postby fromthebench » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:26 am

4 assists? For the whole team?

You know what I'm going to say. Calixte is their best player, but IMO he's a shooting guard in a point guards body. Also, I think he can transfer as this is his fourth year? As I said before the season, you need 76 points a game to succeed in America East. (The D3 games don't count) I don't see where those points are going to come from. There's a D1 point guard prospect in Maine who addresses these shortcomings. But, oh well... to quote a knowledgable poster on MBR, "Let's leave the evaluation of whose a D1 prospect to the D1 coaches, they know best." lol :)

And why fire the coach? It sounds like nothing will change. I say renew him and give him a raise! His strategies are what everyone wants and new idea's are quickly shot down.
fromthebench

Postby Maine19Fan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:25 am

Walsh might get fired, but it won't come until the end of the season.
Maine19Fan

Postby Maine19Fan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 am

We know that Central Conn. is pretty good, right?
6 losses: Boston College, Northern Illinois DePaul, St. John's, Rutgers and Hartford.
Maine19Fan

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:21 pm

I agree with everything MaineJeff said.
The guy has had 3 1/2 years, not anything close to improvement.
At best he is a Division 3 Coach Coaching at a Divsion 1 level. He
may be great in Division 3 but he just does not get it done at Division 1.
Maybe Farmington, or Colby or Bates or Bowdoin could use him.

It is time to end the agony....
basketball_guy

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics