Central Connecticut hammers Maine 84-57

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Central Connecticut hammers Maine 84-57

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:38 pm

UMaine men's 3 point shooting woes continued tonight as they went just 6 for 31 for 19.4% and took 46.7% of their FGA's as 3's 31 of 66. Maine shot just 18 for 66 from the floor for 27% and were 15-23 from the lie for 65%. Even more disappointing was that they only had 4 assist on the 18 field goals.

Maine trailed at half-time 44 to 28 and were outscored 40-29 in the second half. CCS out played Maine in most statistical categories and Maine had no answer to the well-balanced offense attack of the Blue Devils.

CCS shot 31 for 59 from the floor for 52.5%, 8 for 20 for 40% for 3's and were 14-18 from the line for 77%.

CCS had 17 assists to Maine's 4.

CCS only had 11 TO's to Maine's 8.

CCS out rebounded Maine 44-36

Araon Calixe only Maine player in double figures with 16.

CCS had 4 in double digits. Kohn with 18, Noble 15, Bute 12 and Kashaun had 10. Maine falls to 1-10 and CCS moves to .500 at 6-6.

Maine plays Friday at 4:00pm at UMassachusetss.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Re: Central Connecticut hammers Maine 84-57

Postby mainejeff » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Ouch! Tick tock tick tock.....
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:58 pm

I have followed this team for 30 plus years and I'm just not excited to watch Maine basketball. Not when they play like this. This team has 2 maybe 3 players that can consistently make 3s in a game. Vince Eze was a huge loss for this team. Vince could effectively defend the paint and without him they play Everyone out of position. Antoms clearly should've been redshirted as he is not ready to compete inside. Needs a year of development. Remember, Vince redshirted his first year.
Blind Zebra

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Up until the Dartmouth game I had some hope for this Coach but after Dartmouth I am agreement
with MaineJeff...tick tock tick tock....

The sooner they can move on from this Coach, the better...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:04 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Up until the Dartmouth game I had some hope for this Coach but after Dartmouth I am agreement
with MaineJeff...tick tock tick tock....

The sooner they can move on from this Coach, the better...

basketball_guy: The question of the year is WHEN will the Maine AD announce that he is rehiring or not rehiring the current head coach.

If he announces he will not be back then they could get going right away looking for a replacement and the current Coach would be a lame duck coach for the rest of the season. There is no way that the AD is going to fire him an name an interim cosh from the current staff until after the tourney in March.

We could run a contest and see who comes closest to the date the announcement is made one way or another.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:12 pm

How about a betting pool?

I should not be so happy to see any Coach fired. For me at Alabama in 79/80 Coach Newton after our
last game came into our locker room and said "When it becomes more like a job then fun, it is time for
a Coach too move on". What he met is he had been at Alabama 12 years, we had just lost in the NIT to
Murray State in Birmingham by just 1 point, and we had gone a respectable 18-12 for the 79/80 season but
he was getting a lot of pressure to resign.

I guess that is the difference between Alabama and Maine, but even for Maine right now.
How can this be even close to being acceptable?

I would fire Walsh now and let Bob Simon take over and lets see how he does the rest of the season.

Not sure what the Maine Ad may be thinking.

Must be some clause in Walsh's contract is all I can figure.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:17 pm

basketball_guy wrote:How about a betting pool?

I should not be so happy to see any Coach fired. For me at Alabama in 79/80 Coach Newton after our
last game came into our locker room and said "When it becomes more like a job then fun, it is time for
a Coach too move on". What he met is he had been at Alabama 12 years, we had just lost in the NIT to
Murray State in Birmingham by just 1 point, and we had gone a respectable 18-12 for the 79/80 season but
he was getting a lot of pressure to resign.

I guess that is the difference between Alabama and Maine, but even for Maine right now.
How can this be even close to being acceptable?

I would fire Walsh now and let Bob Simon take over and lets see how he does the rest of the season.

Not sure what the Maine Ad may be thinking.

Must be some clause in Walsh's contract is all I can figure.

basketball_guy: The clause is they have to buy out the remainder of his contract.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Ok but this is his last year. He signed a four year deal.

How much are we talking do you think?
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:I have followed this team for 30 plus years and I'm just not excited to watch Maine basketball. Not when they play like this. This team has 2 maybe 3 players that can consistently make 3s in a game. Vince Eze was a huge loss for this team. Vince could effectively defend the paint and without him they play Everyone out of position. Antoms clearly should've been redshirted as he is not ready to compete inside. Needs a year of development. Remember, Vince redshirted his first year.

BZ: I have followed them since 1950 a little longer then you have and we are in the worst 3 year plus period in the history of the program. 21-84 overall and 13-84 vs. D-1 competition.

The 11 transfers would probably give Maine a good run right now the way Maine is playing right now. Tonight's game was really disappointing from an effort wise side it just showed that the players hearts don't seem like they are in it as it looks like they are just going though the motions.

A explanation as to why things are the way they are might be found in Walsh's latest BLOG of December 19th. If interested go to coachbobwalshblog.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:25 pm

https://hoopdirt.com/central-connecticut-state-dirt/

Apparently the Head Coach and Assistant Coach got into an altercation at Central Conn.
Those guys just be Maine 84-57. There is something to be said for Coaches getting into altercations.
Maine guys need to get fired up after all the losing going on.

I can confirm that Central Connecticut State assistant coach Anthony Anderson is no longer with the program. Anderson and head coach Donyell Marshall were both placed on leave back in early November after a reported altercation between the two of them. Marshall has returned to his duties after a month long rip, but Anderson has not (in fact, he has been removed from the CCSU website).

Anderson was hired by Marshall in May 2016 after spending two seasons at Lamar. He has also worked at Texas Christian University, Southern Methodist University, Texas-Arlington, McNeese State, Florida International, University of Miami, New Orleans and Tulane.

According to the Hartford Courant, Anderson and Marshall got into a verbal disagreement during a practice that resulted in the two coming chest-to-chest, but no punches were thrown.

There has been no official statement by the university regarding Anderson’s status.
basketball_guy

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics