Real reasons UMaine men's BB lost to St. Joe's 72-59 Sunday

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Real reasons UMaine men's BB lost to St. Joe's 72-59 Sunday

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:17 am

Just go to my offtherimbangordaiilynews,com BLOG if you are interested. Hint, some teams beat themselves more than their opponent beat them.
bcbc55

Re: Real reasons UMaine men's BB lost to St. Joe's 72-59 Sun

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 am

Coach Cims Blog address is: http://offtherim.bangordailynews.com/

Although the obvious St. Joe’s scored more points then Maine did to win the game but there was also some non obvious reasons that a basketball novice might miss. First, Maine only got to the foul line once and SJ got there for 19 foul shots. SJ only committed 8 personal fouls Maine committed 19 […]

http://offtherim.bangordailynews.com/20 ... rts-widget
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:16 am

You do know that yesterday's loss was to St. Joseph's of Philadelphia and not St. Joseph's College of Standish, right?
This was far from a bad loss, hanging around into the second half against a decent Atlantic 10 Conference team.
Keep the faith. White is back.
This team was limited by some early injuries, but seems to be getting healthy.
Anyway, it's all about league play. Other than Vermont, Albany and, probably, Binghamton, I'd say Maine can play with anyone else.
So, here's the prediction, barring injuries: Fifth place in the league standings, exactly in the middle.
It's not great, but it would be progress.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:You do know that yesterday's loss was to St. Joseph's of Philadelphia and not St. Joseph's College of Standish, right?
This was far from a bad loss, hanging around into the second half against a decent Atlantic 10 Conference team.
Keep the faith. White is back.
This team was limited by some early injuries, but seems to be getting healthy.
Anyway, it's all about league play. Other than Vermont, Albany and, probably, Binghamton, I'd say Maine can play with anyone else.
So, here's the prediction, barring injuries: Fifth place in the league standings, exactly in the middle.
It's not great, but it would be progress.

Maine19Fan: That game yesterday was winnable, it wasn't St. Joe's of PA that beat Maine it was Maine who as usual beat themselves. Instead of playing against your opponent how about trying to play against yourself. Commit no more than 6 fouls per half, shoot 75% from the line (if you can get there) and commit no more than 10 turnovers would be 3 things they could do. Also reduce the number of 3 attempts and go inside then outside to get the 3's Look at yesterday. 32 of 64 attempts were 3's. 17 turnovers. How bout making better basketball decision making so Maine doesn't commit turnovers 17 yesterday, reduce their fouling, Maine's toughest opponent is themselves and the way they play the game from the shoulders down. They are not athletic enough to play the athletic game lke most of their opponents are and do..

Agree that it is all about conference regular season and tournament play for a school like Mine in the situation they are in.That is why I have stated all season that they definitly need to go at least fourth which is possible so that they can get that home tournament game and win it.

Vermont, Albany, Stonybrook, Binghamton and do you think Maine is going to out coach UNH. Will be tough for them to finish 4th although it is possible, yes, anything is possible.

Maine always seems to have to have excuses, it's injuries, not enough size, it's not enough talent, how about more coaching with the talent available and stop making excuses and correct the excuses.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Maine lost to St. Joe's because St. Joe's is the superior team, plain and simple.
And, I never said Maine would finish 4th.
I said 5th. Exact middle of the pack.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Maine lost to St. Joe's because St. Joe's is the superior team, plain and simple.
And, I never said Maine would finish 4th.
I said 5th. Exact middle of the pack.

Maine19Fan: YOu are entitled to your opinion and I am mine, so we will just have to agree to disagree on whether Maine beat themselves OR THAT ST. JOE'S BEAT THEM, PUT IT THIS WAY, MAINE SURE MADE IT A LOT EASIER FOR ST. JOE'S TO WIN. I'll concede this much, Maine sure assisted St. JOE's win.

5th won't get them a home quarter-final game, so what wil be new if they finish 5th, another first round tourney loss.
FYI: here are the current America East Rankings...Conference ranking 28th of 32.

Pos...team.......W.L...RPI
1......Vermont...7-5...70th
2......Albany....11-2...123
3......Stonyb......4-8...179
4. ....UMBC........8-5..198
5. ....Binghamton.8-4..202
6......UNH..........6-8..263
7......UMass-Low..5-6..286
8......Hartford.....5-6..329.
9..... UMaine.......1-9..333
totals...............55-53

note-non D-1 wins do not count in RPI''S

so far the AE coaches pre-season poll is right on Vermont first place and Maine 9th place
bcbc55

Postby bbbfan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 pm

ryan Bernstein had 33 turnovers for the season playing over 900 minutes Maybe he should have been appreciated more and should have been offered a scholarship
bbbfan

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Better teams make lesser teams make mistakes.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Agree 110 percent. Better player then Arajuo the JUCO small point guard scholarshipped starter and is not an offensive threat as much as Bernstein was. Big injustice and then to state in the BDN that paraphrasing that they did not have a scholarship available for Ryan. They had them available they just didn't want to make one available for Ryan.

Or how about the fight. Pirovic had a year left but he transferred to a Canadian school where Myers was not wanted back. It takes two make a fight and both threw punches and one missed and one made contact.Would Maine have accepted Pirovic for his 4th year if he wanted to stay? Yet they didn;t want Myers back.

How was Pirovic punished. He was out for the rest of the season because of his broken jaw. The others involved were allowed back before the season ended for trying to cover up the incident, yet Myers was not wanted back

. But, Maine actually did Myers a favor from a low ranked 333rd team in Pomeroy team RPI rankings to a big time final four team from last year where he will and is get playing time was in Myers favor. Don't forget Myers final choice was South Carolina or Niagra and he chose Niagra before coming to Maine. South Carolina wanted him and they finally got him. Who got the best deal finally, why Myers of course. So a little basketball Karma maybe?

Elevator, elevator Bernstein and Myers got the shaft!
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Can't understand your point here.
It has exactly what to do with St. Joe's beating Maine because it had better talent?
Maine19Fan

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics