Bangor's Matt Fleming offered.

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Bangor's Matt Fleming offered.

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:24 am

Jon Alba‏ @JonAlba
Source: Bangor's Matt Fleming received an offer from #UMaine men's basketball tonight. #mesports #AEHoops

Bangor boys basketball falls to Windham, Fleming picks up offer from UMaine
http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/23 ... rom-umaine
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Bangor's Matt Fleming offered.

Postby GoBlackBears » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 pm

I hope he signs with Maine
GoBlackBears

Postby Maine19Fan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:08 pm

New to posting, but a longtime follower of basketball in our state.
Have seen Matt Fleming play. Needs about 20 pounds of muscle/strength, but has time to get it.
Also, at his height, needs to refine off-guard skills.
If he does those things, the guess is that he'll get offers from levels higher than America East.
Be nice, though, to keep a quality Maine player at home.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:13 am

With Walsh's future up in the air at UMaine contract renewal wise, but gets worse loss by loss, the betting odds Walsh probably not be at UMaine when Matt Fleming graduates in 2020 from high school. Even if he went to Maine he would only get to play one year with his brother Andrew as he is a sophomore at Maine right now. Also, because he was not recruited by the new coach he will not know how he fits into the new coaches plans.

With only 1 scholarship available by senior graduation (unless thee are more transfers after this year even if Walsh is gone) Walsh is not losing anything scholarship wise as several of the JUCO transfers are juniors now and will be gone before Matt Fleming gets to Maine. Maybe Walsh is trying to keep the Fleming's happy by offering Matt a scholarship hoping he will get his contract renewed.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:58 am

Do you really think that Walsh's only incentive for offering a scholarship to a Maine player is to enhance his job security?
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Do you really think that Walsh's only incentive for offering a scholarship to a Maine player is to enhance his job security?

Maine19Fan: I did say MAYBE didn't I?

Or Maybe he is recruiting Matt Fleming in case he still is at Maine after this season. I don't think that getting Matt Fleming will save Walsh his job. The only thing that possibly will save his job and , I say possibly, is if they go high enough to finish 4th or above to get a home tourney game and win that tourney game.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Yes, you did say "maybe."
But, to even hint at that as a reason is a little foolish.
As you well know, college basketball coaches don't recruit players to enhance their own job security. Unless, of course, they truly believe the player offered can help his team win games.
Maine19Fan

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:23 am

Andrew Fleming not Pushing Brother Matt's College Choice for Basketball

BANGOR, MAINE (WABI) - Matt Fleming is a junior at Bangor high school. He has already been offered a scholarship to play basketball at UMaine.

http://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/Andre ... 76073.html
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:13 am

Any high school player currently playing Maine high school basketball would be wise, in my experience with high school players who want to be impact D-1 players by their sophomore year in college is to go to prep school after graduating from high school. It gives them another year to mature physically, mentally and socially. Get used to tougher practices both in length, harder and more tougher competition.

Also, maybe the most important thing, is the player and his parents/guardians will know which level he really belongs at by the number of the 351 D-1 schools that recruit and offer him the most numbers wise in the same major, mid major or low major grouping.

IT ALSO ALLOWS FOR THEM TO GET USED TO OF BEING AWAY FROM HOME, ALL THE TRAVEL, STUDYING AND HAVING TO REALLY GET ORGANIZED BEFORE THEY HAVE TO FACE ALL THAT IN COLLEGE.

If players cannot get a prep school scholarship then they probably aren't D-1 prospects.

Many other basketball people will tell you I am wrong and that "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" and prep school is not necessary. So will many of the college D-1 recruiters because if the players go to prep school they may go higher then the schools that have already offered them and they don't want to lose them by going to prep school because of just that reason that a higher school up the D-1 ladder discovers and offers them.

HOWEVER, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT GOING TO COLLEGE IS TO MAKE SURE THAT THE PLAYERS GET THE TYPE OF EDUCATION THAT THEY WANT FOR THEIR FUTURE EMPLOYMENT AFTER GRADUATION AS NO MAINE HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER HAS EVER PLAYED IN THE NBA AND VERY FEW EVER GET TO PLAY PROFESSIONALLY OVERSEAS.

i have recommended this to my and other high school senior teams players when they have sought my advice. Those that didn't go say after a year in college they should have gone to prep school. Had other teams players say same thing and also had one other team's players say that after they went to prep school they had over 15 D-1 offers and after high school did not have any and went on to have a nice 4 year D-1 career.

Several years ago I wrote an article on my Bangor Daily News "Off the Rim" column of why Maine high school players should go to prep school after graduating from high school. I listed other reasons that were not as important as the one's I mentioned above. Also. talked about the problem of being red shirted after not going to prep school for a year after high school graduation.

Just trying to offer some help and advice to any Maine high school players who want to be a impact D-1 college players by their sophomore years based on my experiences with having players recruited by D-1 programs going or not going to prep school after high school graduation..
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:55 am

Matt is #10 for Bangor..
In addition to live streaming broadcast on video and radio, we're rolling out Features highlights, players of the game and more ..
Check out the highlights and radio calls in the MBR's Spectrum Healthcare Partners Spotlight!
https://www.facebook.com/MBRMaine/video ... 012533366/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics