[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - WBB at Duke University 12/19, 7pm

WBB at Duke University 12/19, 7pm

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB at Duke University 12/19, 7pm

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:02 am

Thise two polls do not figure in the selection or seedings for the 68 teams the RPI does that is why I go with realtimerpi.com and also Realtimer does not count those non D-1 wins. Counting those games against D-2, D-3, NAIA 1, NAIA 2 and USCAA teams is real misleading.]

False, those two polls are absolutely given weight when it comes time to select team's for the tournament. Pretty much, if you're a top 25 team, you're just about guaranteed to make the tourney. RPI is a notoriously bad measure for determining the quality of a team (particularly this early in the season). The AP and USA Today polls are a much better measure, particularly in this case. I mean, is Duke really the 56th best team in the country? No way.
MaineBBFan99

Postby mainah57 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:09 am

mainah57: agree with your entire post except that I do';t follow polls I follow rankings even this early in the season. I don't care what people think I want to know rankings which come from figures, cause "Figures don't lie", but Polls can be like politics they are no better then the polticians or the people voting in the polls.

Enjoyed your interesting post and your evaluation of the game and the season so far.

Thanks - and fair enough, I myself do really like numbers / quantitative metrics as well. I just wish there was another quantitative method in addition to RPI, since I feel like RPI does have some limitations. For instance, it really seems to inflate teams that just schedule the best possible teams (even if they lose 100% of those games), and the margin of each loss is not considered at all. Perhaps that is OK (I'm not sure I necessarily want coaches to be running up the scores to try to boost their RPI...), but it does seem there is a difference between losing to Duke by 1 point and losing by 50 points - and yet RPI does not differentiate. For every top-tier team we play, our RPI gets boosted (as it is not just our own strength of schedule, but also the strength of our opponents' schedules that gets considered...), and yet there could be teams that are doing exceptionally well in their schedule so far (and even have the capacity to beat top teams), but just did not manage to schedule many top-25 teams - and their RPI will be not great. It is an interesting metric, but it seems to have significant limitations.
mainah57

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 am

UMaine Hoop Prepares for Duke

ORONO, MAINE (WABI)- It was finals week last week, but it didn't get any easier for the UMaine womens basketball team this week. They lost to 3rd ranked Mississippi State Sunday, and the road trip takes them to number 14 Duke Tuesday.

http://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/UMain ... 45173.html
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: WBB at Duke University 12/19.... L 69-39

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:00 am

Shooting struggles plague Maine in 69-39 loss at Duke

DURHAM, N.C. - For the second straight game Maine women's basketball really struggled from 3-point range.

Granted they played two top 15 opponents in those games.

Regardless, the Black Bears went 6-43 Tuesday night in the teams 69-39 loss to Duke.
http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/23 ... ss-at-duke
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby fafan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:46 am

I don't think anyone works harder than Tanessha, she never stops on the boards and defensively the same. Her only knock might be her ability to finnish when she does land a rebound.
Did anyone see the possession that Kelly Fogarty had 3 three's all go half way in only to bounce out. I was impressed that the team thought enough of her to get the ball back to her and like any good shooter she didn't let the misses effect her from throwing up another. I believe she lead the state of Mass in scoring last year so you know she can shoot and eventually she will show it to us.
I really enjoy watching the girls play as they never stop battling regardless of the score. To go down 14-0 at the start and get it back to 20-10 after the first quarter was impressive. They were not going to penetrate that zone so throwing up 3's was all they were going to get against Duke but agree that will change when they play against AE teams.
fafan

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 am

bcbc55: You continue to place blame where it doesn't belong.
Do you think it might be remotely possible that Maine was forced to take all of those 3's because the option was the post area which was patrolled by big (and, big time) Duke players?
Duke top 7 players: 6-foot-5, 6-4, 6-2, 6-1, 6-0, 6-0, 5-9.
As for missing "open" looks from three-point range:
Playing against bigger, stronger and faster opponents teams predictably results in rushed shots to ensure they're not blocked or contested.
Plus, there's the fatigue factor, both physical and mental, that affects shooters having to play against higher-level athletes.
All of that goes into a poor performance and a poor shooting effort by the decidedly inferior team.

But, as usual, you're good at throwing up the numbers and coming to a conclusion without factoring in logic.
Maine19Fan

Postby fafan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:bcbc55: You continue to place blame where it doesn't belong.
Do you think it might be remotely possible that Maine was forced to take all of those 3's because the option was the post area which was patrolled by big (and, big time) Duke players?
Duke top 7 players: 6-foot-5, 6-4, 6-2, 6-1, 6-0, 6-0, 5-9.
As for missing "open" looks from three-point range:
Playing against bigger, stronger and faster opponents teams predictably results in rushed shots to ensure they're not blocked or contested.
Plus, there's the fatigue factor, both physical and mental, that affects shooters having to play against higher-level athletes.
All of that goes into a poor performance and a poor shooting effort by the decidedly inferior team.

But, as usual, you're good at throwing up the numbers and coming to a conclusion without factoring in logic.

Maine 19 Fan, Coach Cim's response gets old after awhile. Only remedy is to block it, it makes reading the posts much easier ;)
Last edited by fafan on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fafan

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:01 pm

"Coach Cim's response gets old after awhile. Only remedy is to block it, it makes ready the posts much easier ;)"

fafan: Seems like you're on to something. I prefer making accurate counter points, to which he consistently avoids. It looks like the way to silence him is to prove him wrong.

He does seem like a well-meaning basketball fan, but his views are out of the 1950's and rarely are substantiated by any real evidence. He loves to post numbers that, of themselves, have little relevance to his argument. And, like I said, he avoids commenting on topics in which he's proven to be misguided and/or incorrect.

But, his passion is to be admired. Debates and differences of opinion are what drive forums like this. I enjoy the give-and-take.

But, I'm still waiting for him to ID 8 current players from Maine who are having any impact on the D1 level, who together would turn around Maine's program.
Maine19Fan

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics