Moss watch

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Moss watch

Postby fromthebench » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:48 am

The Bangor/Portland contest will be a biggie and should answer a lot of questions about these players. Very exciting matchup! :)
fromthebench
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Re: Moss watch

Postby Maine19Fan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 am

fromthebench: Now you're being ridiculous ... fabricating heights.
Moss is 5-10, max.
If you want to say that Bernal was 6-3 1/2 in sneakers, but only 6-2 in real life ... what, was he wearing high-heel sneakers?
No matter, even if he was only 6-3, that's still five inches taller than Moss and, yes, a BIG difference.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Moss watch

Postby Blind Zebra » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Andrew Fleming is playing out of position at center, as a 6'5 and change power 3 man. Exhibit A: last year he played next to a true post in Vince Eze. Andrew at the 4 spot was more comfortable and protected, to a degree, having Vince on the floor with him defensively. This year he has no protection. he is playing next to a wing. He is battling, but he needs help in the paint. Maine's offense is not tailored to his strength which is running the court and slashing from the mid post to the basket. He is really struggling with his shooting. May be in part to a lack of comfort with the new system? He needs to play next to a bigger bodied post who can support him with interior defense and rebounding.
Blind Zebra
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Moss watch

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Linguist wrote:Andrew Fleming mentally tough?

Not this year. He misses a shot and hangs his head and pouts all the way up the floor, he loses a rebound and you can see his shoulders slump and he sulks.

I was high on Andrew coming in to this season, I thought he was a leader and would really make an impact this year.

The only impact is with what appears to be a negative attitude, he hinders the team when he is on the floor now if things are not going 100% his way.


Linquist: He was mentally tough last year he wasn;t playing out of position as a post player.He is playing out of position as stated by Blind Zebra. Frustration is the word many times when playing out of position, tough enough to play D-1 when you are playing in the right position.

Coaches who demand not get not. If you see his body language on the floor then the staff should be able to also and as John Wooden said, "a coaches best friend is the bench", he should of added the "Wooden Bench" as today's benches are soft, soft chairs and are to comfortable compared to the old wooden benches.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 11225
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Moss watch

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Andrew Fleming is playing out of position at center, as a 6'5 and change power 3 man. Exhibit A: last year he played next to a true post in Vince Eze. Andrew at the 4 spot was more comfortable and protected, to a degree, having Vince on the floor with him defensively. This year he has no protection. he is playing next to a wing. He is battling, but he needs help in the paint. Maine's offense is not tailored to his strength which is running the court and slashing from the mid post to the basket. He is really struggling with his shooting. May be in part to a lack of comfort with the new system? He needs to play next to a bigger bodied post who can support him with interior defense and rebounding.



BZ: You are absolutely correct. Tough to play D-1 when you are at the right position, let alone the wrong and out of position.

Just play Antomn in the post to help Andrew.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 11225
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Moss watch

Postby Muchups » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:15 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
Linguist wrote:Andrew Fleming mentally tough?

Not this year. He misses a shot and hangs his head and pouts all the way up the floor, he loses a rebound and you can see his shoulders slump and he sulks.

I was high on Andrew coming in to this season, I thought he was a leader and would really make an impact this year.

The only impact is with what appears to be a negative attitude, he hinders the team when he is on the floor now if things are not going 100% his way.


Linquist: He was mentally tough last year he wasn;t playing out of position as a post player.He is playing out of position as stated by Blind Zebra. Frustration is the word many times when playing out of position, tough enough to play D-1 when you are playing in the right position.

Coaches who demand not get not. If you see his body language on the floor then the staff should be able to also and as John Wooden said, "a coaches best friend is the bench", he should of added the "Wooden Bench" as today's benches are soft, soft chairs and are to comfortable compared to the old wooden benches.


I think Fleming is a good D1 talent but he showed the same types of things even in high school. When he played a team that didn't back down, pressured him and presented a challenge he pouted and usually folded. For example, I remember watching him in a game at Deering turning the ball over multiple times, visibly pouting, and generally letting his team down when he should have been stepping up. I came away from that game thinking that he's a good athlete with good skills but that he wasn't yet mentally tough.
Muchups
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Moss watch

Postby Muchups » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:21 pm

fromthebench wrote:The Bangor/Portland contest will be a biggie and should answer a lot of questions about these players. Very exciting matchup! :)


Portland will win by 15-20 minimum.

Since this realignment a few years ago the level of competition that Bangor has faced (especially in the big sports of football and basketball) has increased and they're constantly getting beat down by the Greater Portland teams (Portland, Deering, Cheverus, Windham, BE and the like). It's sad to say but it seems they, and the rest of Northern (the former Eastern Maine division) has been exposed. I liked it better when teams north of Lewiston or Brunswick were unknown to Southern Maine teams and vice versa. There was a better chance that a team like Bangor could steal one from superior Southern Maine teams in a best of one state final.
Muchups
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Moss watch

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Muchups wrote:
fromthebench wrote:The Bangor/Portland contest will be a biggie and should answer a lot of questions about these players. Very exciting matchup! :)


Portland will win by 15-20 minimum.

Since this realignment a few years ago the level of competition that Bangor has faced (especially in the big sports of football and basketball) has increased and they're constantly getting beat down by the Greater Portland teams (Portland, Deering, Cheverus, Windham, BE and the like). It's sad to say but it seems they, and the rest of Northern (the former Eastern Maine division) has been exposed. I liked it better when teams north of Lewiston or Brunswick were unknown to Southern Maine teams and vice versa. There was a better chance that a team like Bangor could steal one from superior Southern Maine teams in a best of one state final.


"Muchups": Very good evaluation. Interesting, timely and informative post, especially for basketball. Football has always been this way and when Bangor won state championships when Gerry Hodge and Gabby Price were coaching the Rams it was the same Bangor's closest game was Lewiston.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 11225
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Moss watch

Postby fromthebench » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:58 pm

I felt the same way Muchups. Good evaluation. Looking forward to the game Friday and I think the naysayers ought to get out of their parents basement, turn off Daddy's laptop and actually go see a live game so that they might have informed opinions on Maine basketball players. :)
fromthebench
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Re: Moss watch

Postby dunbar » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:I'm going to the Bangor v Portland game on Friday. I'll give you my evaluation of Moss.
Fleming dropped 34 on Brewer tonight. Very efficient. The ball looks like it's going in every time he shoots. Very smooth shooter. One of the best I've seen at the high school level in recent years.

I remember when there was an argument on here 4 years ago when Maine "passed" on Dustin Cole and gave a scholarship to Aaron Calixte. One of the posters argued back and forth with me that Cole was Calixte's equal if not better. If Aaron can find a way to cut down his turnovers, he has a chance to be All Conference this year.


Very much in agreement here. 34 points came relatively easily, although Brewer simply didn't have anything to counter him. Very versatile and fluid, plus isn't restricted to playing 15 ft. and in. I'm interested to see him go up against someone who can guard him like McIntyre from Hampden next Wednesday. Bangor has no seniors. If Fleming adds ten pounds of muscle for next year and another 10-15 lbs if he chooses to play at the Division I level, there's no doubt he can be successful wherever he goes down the road.
dunbar
 
Posts: 5020
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 pm

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests