Moss watch

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Moss watch

Postby fromthebench » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:57 pm

I don't recall anyone saying Dustin Cole was a D1 prospect. He did well to get to D2. Cole is truthfully about 5'7" 140. Moss is 5'10" 170. Cole never played in a State Championship, Moss has been there every year and is gunning for three straight gold balls. Cole was a shoot first combo guard that dominated the ball, Moss is a true point guard who shares the ball with exceptional court vision who makes his teammates better. Not knocking Cole, he did very well to play D2 and should be congratulated. Moss is at a much higher level.

Junior Bernal was a great comparison. He played Class D high school basketball. The lowest level we have and went on to a successful D1 career at Maine. Moss plays AA, four levels higher. I'm guessing the naysayers would have said not to take Bernal because he played Class D basketball in Maine.
fromthebench

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Hey 55, we agree on Moss. Way too small, but that's not his only drawback.

That's not to say little guards can't succeed. Calvin Murphy was pretty good, wouldn't you say?
Keydren Clark, all of about 5-foot-8, was good enough at Saint Peter's to score 3,058 points at the college level. He's one of just eight players in college basketball history to score more than 3,000 career points.

Muggsy Bogues, Spud Webb, the current Isaiah Thomas were/are all terrific and all 5-9 and under.

What did they all have? Extreme quickness and athleticism.

Moss doesn't have that. He's lacking in some other requisite skills to succeed at the D1 level, too, from what I can see. He's got a chance to be a decent D2 player.

But, it's ludicrous to totally discount small players based purely on the reasons you postulate. There are other ways to get things done, but it takes some special skills.

There was even a real good small guard in the NBA from your era: Slater Martin was only 5-foot-10.

As for Cole ... let's not demean him so badly as to say he would not have helped at D-III Husson. He is in the playing group at Franklin Pierce, which is a decent D2 program and considerably better than Husson.

I will say this: If Moss is the best senior in Maine this season, there isn't anyone in our state at the high school level right now capable of playing at UMaine. There goes your theory on taking the best 2 Maine players every year!
Maine19Fan

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Fromthebench: Cole is 5-9, 152. Same size as Moss, maybe a little heavier.
If Cole weighs 170 pounds, then you're Wilt Chamberlain!
Maine19Fan

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Fromthebench: Big difference between Moss and Junior Bernal.
A real BIG difference.
Moss is 5-foot-9. Bernal is 6-foot-5.
Maine19Fan

Postby fromthebench » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Actually, you're right. With his sneakers on and rounding up, Cole is 5'9". This how basketball are measured in College and the NBA and I approve of it for all Maine players. In fact, the NBA combine sight lists two heights for every player, with and without sneakers. The with sneakers is the one on the official roster.

Now, using this standard, which I approve of, Moss is either 5'11" or 6'0" in sneakers, take your pick. I've met them both personally many times and Moss has at least two inches on Cole. Have you met them? :)
fromthebench

Postby fromthebench » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 pm

As for Bernal, not really. Met him too. 6'2" in bare feet, 6'3.5 in sneakers, they listed him at 6'4" which was generous but again, I'm all for that. That puts Maine players on an even footing with out of state players who are all measured in their sneakers. Bernal averaged about 9-10 a game for Maine over four years. Solid career and not bad for a Class D ball player who didn't face any real competition. My projections on Moss would be similar at Maine though Moss might get more assists. Wherever Moss plays, he'll play some pro ball somewhere for sure.
fromthebench

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm going to the Bangor v Portland game on Friday. I'll give you my evaluation of Moss.
Fleming dropped 34 on Brewer tonight. Very efficient. The ball looks like it's going in every time he shoots. Very smooth shooter. One of the best I've seen at the high school level in recent years.

I remember when there was an argument on here 4 years ago when Maine "passed" on Dustin Cole and gave a scholarship to Aaron Calixte. One of the posters argued back and forth with me that Cole was Calixte's equal if not better. If Aaron can find a way to cut down his turnovers, he has a chance to be All Conference this year.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:I'm going to the Bangor v Portland game on Friday. I'll give you my evaluation of Moss.
Fleming dropped 34 on Brewer tonight. Very efficient. The ball looks like it's going in every time he shoots. Very smooth shooter. One of the best I've seen at the high school level in recent years.

I remember when there was an argument on here 4 years ago when Maine "passed" on Dustin Cole and gave a scholarship to Aaron Calixte. One of the posters argued back and forth with me that Cole was Calixte's equal if not better. If Aaron can find a way to cut down his turnovers, he has a chance to be All Conference this year.

BZ: Matt will be better than his brother coming out of high school, if he gets in the weight room. Much better facing the basket then Andrew and he has excellent 3 point range. Only question is he is as tough as Andrew physically and mentally, but he is young as a junior.

I never was high on Cole as a D-1 prospect, but agree if Calixe could cut down on those TO's he could be all conference first team.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:08 am

Andrew Fleming mentally tough?

Not this year. He misses a shot and hangs his head and pouts all the way up the floor, he loses a rebound and you can see his shoulders slump and he sulks.

I was high on Andrew coming in to this season, I thought he was a leader and would really make an impact this year.

The only impact is with what appears to be a negative attitude, he hinders the team when he is on the floor now if things are not going 100% his way.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:13 am

Linguist wrote:Andrew Fleming mentally tough?

Not this year. He misses a shot and hangs his head and pouts all the way up the floor, he loses a rebound and you can see his shoulders slump and he sulks.

I was high on Andrew coming in to this season, I thought he was a leader and would really make an impact this year.

The only impact is with what appears to be a negative attitude, he hinders the team when he is on the floor now if things are not going 100% his way.

Amen! Huge disappointment this season!
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics