Moss watch

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Moss watch

Postby fromthebench » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:08 pm

After two games, Terion Moss is averaging 33.5 points per game and stuffing the stat sheet in rebounds, steals and assists. Any word on an offer from Maine? If Calixte completes his degree this spring he can transfer for his post grad year. Correct? If I was coaching UMaine I'd want an insurance policy. Just saying...
fromthebench

Re: Moss watch

Postby Muchups » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:22 pm

There was another post on this site that talked about an offer from Maine months ago.

Moss is exactly the type of player that Maine needs to start rebuilding the program. He will not be recruited heavily because of his small stature but he absolutely has D1 ability. Maine can land this guy.

That said, it should be the strategy of the UMaine men's bball team to always try make the top 1-2 players in the state a recruiting priority and then move out from there. Instead it seems like the opposite - they recruit second and third tier guys from New Jersey before even looking at home.
Muchups

Postby fromthebench » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Sad but true Muchups. And we've seen how successful that strategy has worked! :)
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:37 pm

fromthebench wrote:Sad but true Muchups. And we've seen how successful that strategy has worked! :)

"fromthebench"' and "Muchups": Sad but very true and from the bench is 100% correct. With the head job for next year up in the air will Maine do much recruiting right now? Will the coaches recruit or will the administration put a hold on recruiting for a new head coach. If UMaine does make a change don't you think that they will make it immediately after the season is over or announce there will be a change before the season is over so as to get a new head coach in as soon as possible?
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Agree with all your previous posts on recruiting at Maine bcbc. They do treat us like "hicks from the sticks" and if they had any success maybe I could see their point. But, they don't and they won't. It doesn't matter who coaches if they're just gonna bring in another out of state hotshot who's going to recruit the 55th best point guard in Delaware and the 47th best power forward from Philly and some guy who excelled at a weekend tourney for the Finland U-18 team once. They need to sit down with a piece of paper and figure out how to score 76 points a game. They need to evaluate in state talent and encourage them to prep a year or redshirt. Nice to see Parise Rossignol making an impact after a year off. This is the model. With a redshirt or prep year and sticking around until you are a Junior or Senior you've got something. But that would take evaluation and recruiting skills the men's program doesn't have and isn't interested in developing. IMO

Moss doesn't need to prep. My spies say he ran circles around the Maine guys when he went for his visit. He KNOWS he's better than them.
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 pm

fromthebench wrote:Agree with all your previous posts on recruiting at Maine bcbc. They do treat us like "hicks from the sticks" and if they had any success maybe I could see their point. But, they don't and they won't. It doesn't matter who coaches if they're just gonna bring in another out of state hotshot who's going to recruit the 55th best point guard in Delaware and the 47th best power forward from Philly and some guy who excelled at a weekend tourney for the Finland U-18 team once. They need to sit down with a piece of paper and figure out how to score 76 points a game. They need to evaluate in state talent and encourage them to prep a year or redshirt. Nice to see Parise Rossignol making an impact after a year off. This is the model. With a redshirt or prep year and sticking around until you are a Junior or Senior you've got something. But that would take evaluation and recruiting skills the men's program doesn't have and isn't interested in developing. IMO

Moss doesn't need to prep. My spies say he ran circles around the Maine guys when he went for his visit. He KNOWS he's better than them.

"fromthebench" We coudn't agree more on this topic. I have said for years get a Mainer as the coach, recruit the 2 best players from Maine each year, 2 in and 2 out 8 Mainers total, recruit 3 players of what they don't provide usually BIGs. That is 11 players and have walkon tryouts for the remaining positions as there always was and still is players "total gym rats" who played in the field house and now play at the new rec center on campus that were/are as good as some of the scholarship players. Keep 2 scholarships available at all times for transfers or early signings.

Special way when recruiting Maine kids. Tell them and their parents that Maine really wants them as the coach is a Mainer and is staying not going to use Maine as a stepping stone career wise and when Maine ever makes it to the big dance he wants to do it with Mainers dominating the roster. Also, tell the player and his parents if the player really wants to be an impact player in D-1 at any of the three levels of High, mid or low majors then they have to go to prep school (Sometimes in the case of Moss not needed). Tell the player and his parents that Maine wants what is in the best interest for them not the University of Maine and even though Maine might not get the player because he goes to another school, tell them how disappointed Maine would be, but that Maine understands and remind them if they don't go to Maine that if they ever want to consider transferring to Maine just give Maine a call we are still be very interested. You might get them just on putting their interest first not Maine's as none Mainers have ever heard of that recruiting approach.

Since 1949 only two coaches both from out-of-state have had winning records and they stayed 10 and 8 years and then moved on to greener pastures, The only true Mainer who played as a high school player and college player at Maine to coach at Maine was just under .500 and he was the only one that stayed for any length of time 17 year and that was Skip Chappelle from Old Town and the UMaine who used mostly Maine kids.

The Mainer who I think could do the job is Chris Markwood who played at South Portland High School, went to Notre Dame for 2 years and then transferred back to UMaine as he has been the associate head coach at successful Vermont and currently is the associate head coach at Northeastern.

If Maine is not going to win the way they have done it the past few years, (LAST WINNING SEASON WAS 2009-10 WHEN THEY STARTED 3 MAINERS AND WOULD HAVE STARTED 5 IF 2 HAD NOT LEFT THE TEAM) then let's do it with Mainer coaching and with 8 Maine kids on the roster. Certainly couldn't do any worse then the past 3 plus seasons of 20-82 overall and 12-82 against D-1 competition.

Again, just my opinion based on watching the Maine program since the mid 50's. A Mainer coaching and using Maine kids would bring back interest in the men's program and would draw better at the gate also.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:03 pm

You guys want it both ways....you want Maine to recruit Moss hard then you want Moss to go elsewhere because he is "better than Maine". So WTF do you guys want again???

I just want UMaine teams to win and I don't give a flying F where they are from. And yes I am a MAINE TAXPAYER just like the rest of you! And by the way....let me know when Vermont wins with State of Vermont players! ;) ;) ;)
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 pm

mainejeff wrote:You guys want it both ways....you want Maine to recruit Moss hard then you want Moss to go elsewhere because he is "better than Maine". So WTF do you guys want again???

I just want UMaine teams to win and I don't give a flying F where they are from. And yes I am a MAINE TAXPAYER just like the rest of you! And by the way....let me know when Vermont wins with State of Vermont players! ;) ;) ;)

MJ: I didn't say that. I want any Mainer good enough to go to Maine. I have always said that. I doubt if Moss signs a letter of intent to Maine until there is a coaching change and he knows who the new coach is. If it should be Chris Markwood which it should be, you would have a coach from South Portland, Maine and former UMaine player who transferred from Notre Dame after his 2 years at South Bend and a neighboring player from Portland, Maine. If it is Markwood that would make it easier to get Moss to go to Maine. He is currently the Associate head coach at D-1 Northeastern and was the associate assistant coach at perennial AE Champion Vermont.

Vermont beat Syracuse in the opening round of the "Big Dance" when they had a Vermonter named Taylor Coppenrath as their best player.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Agreed, nicely said and good memory on Copperthwait. It can be done!
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm

fromthebench wrote:Agreed, nicely said and good memory on Copperthwait. It can be done!

fromthebench: Thank you. Yeah, my memory is still OK at least for now for an 80 year old senior citizen.

Having a little basketball withdrawal as UMaine teams don't play until Sunday. Hope to get to the Windham at Bangor Boys game tomorrow night.
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics