How much does UMaine BB teams non-D-1 games improve their

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: How much does UMaine BB teams non-D-1 games improve thei

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Bcbc55: I believe the rule about limitations vs. non-D1 schools only applies for regular-season games.
Also, there are just no D-2 schools close by.
Bentley would have to make a 250-mile trip, Stonehill a 265-mile trip.
No schools travel that far for games without an overnight stay. So, the trips become cost prohibited.
I checked Bentley's schedule. It doesn't play D1 opponents. I doubt many, if any, D2 schools play D1 opponents.
Much easier for Machias (95 miles away) and Presque Isle (150 miles away) to make the trip.
That's why Maine plays those schools rather than taking on D2 programs from farther away.
The other thing is that Maine struggles to get ANY team to come to Bangor for non-league contests.
Were it not for the games against the two D3 schools, Maine would have had just two Non-league home games.
Easy to say avoid playing the D3 programs. Harder to come up with a solution.
Maine19Fan

Postby thebam » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Bcbc55: I believe the rule about limitations vs. non-D1 schools only applies for regular-season games.
No schools travel that far for games without an overnight stay. So, the trips become cost prohibited.
I checked Bentley's schedule. It doesn't play D1 opponents. I doubt many, if any, D2 schools play D1 opponents.
Much easier for Machias (95 miles away) and Presque Isle (150 miles away) to make the trip.
That's why Maine plays those schools rather than taking on D2 programs from farther away.
The other thing is that Maine struggles to get ANY team to come to Bangor for non-league contests.
Were it not for the games against the two D3 schools, Maine would have had just two Non-league home games.

and easier to just not work hard enough to find the solution. just keep playing garbage teams. And we all sit here and wonder why it's not getting better?
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:47 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Bcbc55: I believe the rule about limitations vs. non-D1 schools only applies for regular-season games.

Maine19Fan: NCAA rule, only 4 non D-1 games for exhibition or non-conference games period.

Stonehill came to Bangor on October 28th, 2017 which is this year and beat UMaine women 68-49. Could have brought their men's team and played a doubleheader.

If Maine can't get D-2 teams to come to Bangor for doubleheaders then at least play the best D-3 schools in Maine Husson, Bates, Bowdoin, Colby in doubleheaders who are better and closer Husson and Colby, Bate 100 miles Bowdoin 100 miles shorter than NAIA2?USCAA UMFK and UMM and weak D-3 UMPI. and all inter 95 travel.

Play 2 of these 4 Maine teams in the exhibition games which they can't play D-1 teams and play 2 in non conference games. Make all games doubleheaders for the men's and women's teams. Play Colby and Bowdoin in exhibitions and Husson and Bates in non conference regular season games.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Bcbc55: Like I said before. Very easy to post here with opinions on what should happen with Maine's schedule.
Particularly when we don't know why some games are scheduled, and why some aren't.
You probably should direct your ire towards the basketball staff/athletic director.
What you really should do is make a phone call, send an email to the school's administration politely asking why the games you advocate for have not come to pass.
You'd probably get an answer.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Bcbc55: Like I said before. Very easy to post here with opinions on what should happen with Maine's schedule.
Particularly when we don't know why some games are scheduled, and why some aren't.
You probably should direct your ire towards the basketball staff/athletic director.
What you really should do is make a phone call, send an email to the school's administration politely asking why the games you advocate for have not come to pass.
You'd probably get an answer.

MaaineFan19: I doubt oi they would answer me if they knew who it was on the phone. Not too popular at the University Athletic department because off my posts on MBR, my Bangor Daily News "off the rim column and my BDN BLOG. I could ask them on my BLOG and see if they respond? I'll think about it. But I really know why they schedule the in system colleges instead of the stronger D-3 teams in Maine. Keep the games in the University system (Nepotism and politics) and will likely not get beat so the coaches can pad their win column. Seeing that about 8 of the Men's teams win total of 21 are against non D-1 teams. Like this year 2 of their 3 wins count in stats and wins but not in NCAA RPI's. So why waste my time.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:22 pm

My guess is that despite your antagonistic attitude towards the UMaine program, they would still answer your question.
Tell them it's something you're going to write about on the blog that you do and you want to hear their side of the issue.
Don't just think you already know the answer.
There's no one who knows less than someone who doesn't know what he doesn't know!
So, ask. It's what "reporters" do. They get both sides of an issue before writing about something.
You know: Fair and balanced!
There is no better way of finding out than by going directly to the source and asking.
At the very least, contact the school's sports information department and ask someone there to ask for you and to pass along the response.
That doesn't sound like a waste of time.
Maine19Fan

Postby Maine19Fan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:09 am

If you don't contact Maine's administrators, or at least the sports information office, to find out why the schedule includes games against lower-division opponents...
Then we'll know you'd prefer to wallow in your ignorance, that you just want to be unfairly critical, that you don't care about discovering the answer.
So, there's your challenge: Find out the answer to your burning question rather than using your own very fertile imagination to fabricate a conclusion.
No one wants to know what's in your imagination. My guess is that we'd prefer to really know.
You've got the forum, your minor affiliation with a newspaper, to find out.
Make the call. Find the answer!
Maine19Fan

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics