How much does UMaine BB teams non-D-1 games improve their

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

How much does UMaine BB teams non-D-1 games improve their

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:43 pm

How much does the UMaie men's and women's basketball teams 2 non-D-1 games improve their team stats?

If interested go to my Bangor Daily News "Off the Rim" Blog. Just go to offtherimbangordailynews.com.
bcbc55

Re: How much does UMaine BB teams non-D-1 games improve thei

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:43 am

How much does the UMaine’s basketball teams 2 non-D-1 games improve their team stats?

The answer to that question is quite a bit as you can compare the 2 non-D-1 games to the D-1 regular season games that they have already played.

The fact that the NCAA counts non D-1 opponents in non-conference games for wins and stats yet does not count them as wins and losses in each teams individual RPI rankings to be considered for the selection and seeding of the 68 teams for their March Madnesses “Big Dance” is that so that D-1 teams like Maine can improve, pad or fatten their team statistics.

Pre-season exhibition games are not included in the team stats, only the non-conference regular season games are counted.

http://offtherim.bangordailynews.com/20 ... eam-stats/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Maine19Fan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:23 pm

A team like Maine does not play non-D1 opponents for the purpose of "padding stats."
It plays those games for a variety of reasons.
Not the least of which is Maine's location. How many D1 programs not already on the schedule are located within reasonable driving distance? Not many. So, to get an opponent to come from Maine requires considerable traveling expense. Plus, the opposition would require a return game from Maine, so there's a considerable expense for Maine to make the return trip.
Also, Maine does make some profit even for home games against lower-division teams. It drew, according to the box score, 1,964 when Maine Presque Island played at the Cross Center. Even the 602 vs. Maine Machias probably made a small profit.
If Maine didn't take home games like those, it wouldn't have very many home games. Let's be honest, very few teams want to go to Maine for a non-conference game.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:A team like Maine does not play non-D1 opponents for the purpose of "padding stats."
It plays those games for a variety of reasons.
Not the least of which is Maine's location. How many D1 programs not already on the schedule are located within reasonable driving distance? Not many. So, to get an opponent to come from Maine requires considerable traveling expense. Plus, the opposition would require a return game from Maine, so there's a considerable expense for Maine to make the return trip.
Also, Maine does make some profit even for home games against lower-division teams. It drew, according to the box score, 1,964 when Maine Presque Island played at the Cross Center. Even the 602 vs. Maine Machias probably made a small profit.
If Maine didn't take home games like those, it wouldn't have very many home games. Let's be honest, very few teams want to go to Maine for a non-conference game.

Maine19Fan: If that is the case, then why don't they play Bates, Bowdoin, Colby, Husson, USM, St. Joe's, etc. the strongest of the D-3 programs in Maine instead of playing Husson and St. Joe's in non counted games as exhibition games? They drew their biggest non D-1 opponent crowd for the Husson exhibition game this October 28th. over 2200.

Why not play Husson, USM ,St. Joes twice each if they donlt want to play Bates, Bowdoin or Colby. Probably because they have lost to Husson, USM and even NAIA2/USCAA UMFK in the past and USM was 3 years ago, UMFK last year. Plus they couldn't pad their stats as well against those teams as they can against UMPI and UMM.

My information tells me that they have to draw 800 in order to pay for the CIC in Bangor 602 is not 800 Maine even drew 800 plus vs. St. Joes at the "Pit" on campus on November 5th.
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:59 pm

For the doubleheaders, they simply add the tickets sold for each game together to come up with the attendance figure.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:23 pm

dunbar wrote:For the doubleheaders, they simply add the tickets sold for each game together to come up with the attendance figure.

dunbar: Don't they need 800 to break even at CIC. Also, don't they count season tickets holders that do not attend the games in the home attendance? Both public and private (business sales". They don't have many doubleheaders either do they? Such as in the non-conference D-1 games or conference games. They only seem to have them against non D-1 teams for doubleheaders.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:20 pm

bcbc55, you'll have to tell me why Maine doesn't play the schools you mentioned. Please respond with facts rather than unsupported suppositions.
Maybe scheduling conflicts. Plus, most D-1 leagues only allow members to play a limited amount of "down" games vs. lower divisions programs. Maybe AE only allows two. I'll let you come up with that answer.
As for preseason exhibitions (fans allowed to view): a couple are allowed but, again, those have to come against lower division schools.
I don't believe there are any D2 programs in Maine, so they logically have to play those preseason exhibitions against D3 programs.
This was a pretty convoluted question. For sure, Maine doesn't take on opponents for the primary purpose of "padding stats."
Maine19Fan

Postby thebam » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Maine needs to figure out a way to play less D3 teams , not more. If it's all about selling tickets and making money, then buy a damn snowmobile and raffle it off. Start acting like a damn Division I program.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:bcbc55, you'll have to tell me why Maine doesn't play the schools you mentioned. Please respond with facts rather than unsupported suppositions.
Maybe scheduling conflicts. Plus, most D-1 leagues only allow members to play a limited amount of "down" games vs. lower divisions programs. Maybe AE only allows two. I'll let you come up with that answer.
As for preseason exhibitions (fans allowed to view): a couple are allowed but, again, those have to come against lower division schools.
I don't believe there are any D2 programs in Maine, so they logically have to play those preseason exhibitions against D3 programs.
This was a pretty convoluted question. For sure, Maine doesn't take on opponents for the primary purpose of "padding stats."

Maine19Fan: NCAA only allows D-1 teaams to play 4 non D-1 teams.

They cannot play any D-1 teams in exhibition games.

Seeing that UMaine men played 4 non D-1 schools it not an AE rule that they cannot play 4.

Yes, play D-3 in state Maine teams but not USCAA or NAIA2's.

Maine women played D-2 Stonehill from Masssachusetts who beat Maine 68-49 this season on October 28th their only exhibition game.

There are quite a few D-2 schools in Massachusetts.

From a source real close to the athletic department stated that the Maine men could have played more D-1 money games on the road, but Staff did not want too. Want to guess why and it was not the travel. My answer,automatic losses.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:53 pm

thebam wrote:Maine needs to figure out a way to play less D3 teams , not more. If it's all about selling tickets and making money, then buy a damn snowmobile and raffle it off. Start acting like a damn Division I program.

thebam: PLay more D-2 teams from Massachusetts in exhibition and non-conference games, Stonehill, Bentey and members of the league they play in in New England. Play men's and women's doubleheaders. Keep Husson as the only D-3 school.
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics