Any Confirmation?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Any Confirmation?

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:09 am

Blogs are one thing...but the bottom line is results...in this case it speak volumes...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:36 am

basketball_guy wrote:Blogs are one thing...but the bottom line is results...in this case it speak volumes...

basktball_guy: I agree. Results are the bottom line, but I just wanted to say something positive for a change that's all.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:18 pm

I agree with that. Positivity is something the basketball program could use right now....
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:41 am

Linguist wrote:A little further info.

It seems as though this person was brought in to evaluate the men's program only and was talking to people near the program during the weekend.

Here is the interesting tidbit, Coach Walsh brought in this consultant/evaluator. This was his idea.

That begs the question is he building a case to defend himself if he gets fired? Will he try to show the University doesn't support the program and he's doing the best he can with what he has for resources?

Question: Do you think the evaluation helped?

Maine played Dartmouth and lost on 73-66 on Friday, Dec. 8 and the evaluater was supposed to stay thru to the Sunday's, Dec. 10th game against USCAA UMM fiasco which Maine won 104 to 51. Wouldn't have got much from that game.

Suppose Walsh wanted him for that weekend because he was sure of a win. That wouldn't make too much sense as you need to be evaluated against good competition to get a real accurate and true evaluation.

Maine was 2-7 before the Dartmouth game and 3-8 after the UMM game and have gone 1 and 7 since the win over UMM..

Don't think the evaluation helped that much.

Here's a evaluation for nothing. Maine should Just do the following.

1. Start playing just 8 players double figure minutes
2. Er, Calixe 35 minutes each, White, Fleming 30 minutes ....each, Lowdnes 25 minutes,,,3 subs Antoms, Evans and ....Ilija S. 15 minutes
3. Mix in more 1-3-1 zone
4. Stop allowing players from deciding who shoots, when ...they shoot and where they shoot from
5. Reduce the use and abuse of the 3 point shot
6. Go inside more to force double teams on post on block
7. Go inside-outside to get open threes when post is double ...teamed before or after he gets the ball and Use more ...dribble penetration to get open kick out passes ...for ...open 3's
8. Junk that Princeton back door cut offense their using to get 3's as there is no inside post game or inside outside game to get open good looks for 3's. Get an offense with good floor player spacing to get threes if Maine is going to continue to "Live and die by the 3". Maine has died 15 times and lived 4 times.
9. Hire a 3 point shooting technique coach and Hire a 3 point shooting consultant if they are going to continue to "Live and Die by the three" that knows the 12 ways to get open 3 point shots in the order of their success rate
10. If don't hire either of the two suggested in 8 and 9 then make sure that the coaching staff insists that the 3 point shooters are standing still, hands in the shooting position and hands where they want the ball to start their shot and if they are on the move and then stop if they are not squared to the basket, hands in the shooting position and hands where the want the ball to start the shoot then by the time they do those 3 things they will have taken too much time to do them which allows the defender to have more time to close out on the shooter and rush him to take the shot. If rushed the 3 point shooter should upthrust a ball fake and then dribble to hoop and if doesn't have a shot he will have created a shot for the teammate who helped on stopping his penetration. Players who are standing still hands in the shooting position and showing where they want the ball are more accurate because they are ready to shoot as soon as they receive the ball.

Players moving to the stand still position to face the basket, hands not in the shooting position and not where they want the ball to start the shoot then by the time they do those 3 things they will have taken to much time to do them which allows the defender to have more time to close out on the shooter and rush him to take the shot. If rushed the 3 point shooter should upthrust a ball fake and then dribble to hoop and if doesn't have a shot he will have created a shot for the teammate who helped on stopping his penetration.

Players who are standing still squared to the basket, hands in the correct shooting position and showing where they want the ball are more accurate because they are ready to shoot as soon as they receive the ball. Players MOVING OR ON THE MOVE to the stand still position most of the time are not squared don't have their hands in the shooting position and hands not showing the passer where they want the ball when they receive the ball to start their 3. Squaring feet, hands in shooting position and showing passer where they want the ball just takes too much time and makes it easier for the close out defender to rush the shooter which reduces his percentage or takes away the shot altogether and player doesn't thrust pump fake a 3 to dribble penetrate or draw a foul either.

There is no charge for this evaluation unless they hire a 3 point shooting coach and a 3 point offense consultant.

Whatever the evaluater came up with either were not any of the 10 things listed above or Walsh chose not to take the advice of the evaluater he supposedly paid for as I have not seen any of the 10 things above done so Maine has not changed one iota since that weekend 34 days ago and Maine has lost 7 out of 8 since then.

After today's 10 point half fiasco today against Albany something has got to change. Lowest score for a half since I have been watching UMaine men's basketball since 1949.

Want to bet they don't change as Maine seems content in doing the same things over and over and over and over again and expecting different results which hasn't worked for 3 plus seasons of 22-89 overall or 14-89 against D-1 teams shows that.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby Blackbear28 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:40 am

Cim, how long does it take you to write a post like that?
Blackbear28

Postby LennyH » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:57 am

bcbc55 wrote:[...
7. Go inside-outside to get open threes when post is double ...teamed before or after he gets the ball and Use more ...dribble penetration to get open kick out passes ...for ...open 3's

Coach, you have seen Maine play as much as anyone... Please tell me if you were coaching against Maine who exactly would you double team in the Post??? The inside out game doesn't work if you don't have a interior player who doubling is worth the risk of an open 3, from what I have seen, no coach in his right mind is going to Double Team Maine on the low block.
LennyH

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:23 pm

LennyH wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:[...

Coach, you have seen Maine play as much as anyone... Please tell me if you were coaching against Maine who exactly would you double team in the Post??? The inside out game doesn't work if you don't have a interior player who doubling is worth the risk of an open 3, from what I have seen, no coach in his right mind is going to Double Team Maine on the low block.

LennyH: You don't have to have a post man to double the post. In Maine's case I would post up Ilker Er, in fact, in his game against Binghamton which Maine won they did just that be accident more than design and he had a career high of 23 points. In there last two losses (he doesn't start and I dont know why) he was back out on the wing. In that Binghamton win and game he took 14 field attempts 5 threes made 2 and was 8 for 9 from the floor with 8 coming from the paint in the power alley and even made an old fashion 3. That was because the Bearcats didn't double down on him and allowed him to go 1 on 1 on the block.

Then the past two games he is back out behind the arc and hasn't scored since the Binghamton game...GO FIGURE.

One on One the block is the toughest spot on the floor to defend because the player on the block knows when he is going to leave the floor and the defender doesn't so with good ball and head fakes and combinations of a post player who knows how to seal his man, show where he wants the ball, signal where he wants the ball and when he wants the ball has the advantage and will score or get fouled or even make an old fashion 3 when try to defend a player with these post up skills 1 on 1.

Maine should have developed 6'9" 245lb Mik Antoms by now (It has been 3 plus months since they started team practices and what about all that time they have for individual work before October lst) is quite evident that their coaching staff has not done that as either they don't believe in the inside game or the inside-outside game or they don't have the skills to develop big men. I believe it is a combination of both.

So Er, Fleming and Ilia S. all could post up and needed to be doubled if taught how to play the post effectively. Just post the one of them that has a player smaller then they are or even the same size.

No excuse for Maine not having an inside game or an inside outside game.

They have plenty of guards and they don't use dribble penetration or use dribble drive like they did last year to get threes all they are using is that Princeton offense which is designed really for back door cuts not for 3's to get the 3's.

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE JUST MY OPINION, AND LIKE NOSES EVERYONE HAS ONE.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Blackbear28 wrote:Cim, how long does it take you to write a post like that?

Blackbear28: I don't know I never timed them. I type pretty fast as I am an old Husson Man. Learned to type in high school and continued advanced typing at Husson.

Maybe I'll time the next one. The biggest problem is proofreading them as I type to fast for my own good.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:16 am

it only takes him long enough to cut and paste. He says the same thing over and over. As long as it takes to hit control V and the post is done.

8 players only, 35, 35, blah, blah, blah, live and die by the 3, blah blah blah, back in my day, bench is coach's best friend, blah blah blah, Peter Gavitt, blah blah blah, America Least.

later. rinse. repeat. cut. paste.
Linguist

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Linguist wrote:

it only takes him long enough to cut and paste. He says the same thing over and over. As long as it takes to hit control V and the post is done.

8 players only, 35, 35, blah, blah, blah, live and die by the 3, blah blah blah, back in my day, bench is coach's best friend, blah blah blah, Peter Gavitt, blah blah blah, America Least.

later. rinse. repeat. cut. paste.

Lindquist: You don;t know everything. I don't do cut and paste and if you don't like my posts then it is simple just don't read them if they are repeats as you say they are. All this after I agreed with your other post today. But it was a good post that you posted. under the UMaine-Albany game writeup.

You know when I post I just don't do it for the current regular readers, I post also in case there are new members or new guests so that is why I repeat. You aren't the only one on MBR. When you see I have made a post just skip it then you won't have to respond with a negaative post like the one above.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics