MACK sneak attack

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: MACK sneak attack

Postby Blackbear27 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Bye Josh
Blackbear27

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:50 pm

Not being a big ("pointed ball" because you don't know which way it is going to bounce when it hits the playing surface) fan I would add this. Maybe transferring out of UMaine is a communicable disease spread by either of the 2basketball teams with 16 transfers between them the past 2 seasons. (11 Men and 5 women).

Many times "the grass looks or is greener on the other side of the fence is because it is over a leaking septic tank".
bcbc55

Postby fafan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:42 am

I was trying to think of football players have left UMaine for greener pastures and really could not think of anyone in recent times, or at least that had any luck playing for another school at Maine's level or higher.

There was the LB in the 80's or 90's who went onto USC whose dad was an NFL player. This is one area that shows how tight the program is as there are very few players who transfer for greener pastures.
Last edited by fafan on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fafan

Postby Muchups » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 am

Do we have any confirmation that this is true?

I understand that the team might be left a little salty after the season, since they underachieved, but if true this doesn't make much sense to me. Mack led the FCS in rushing so he's clearly getting lots of individual work and exposure at Maine. Leaving after such a great season for individual accolades would be a head scratcher.
Muchups

Postby UMaineDad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:05 am

Spoke with dad last night. Bigger problem than we thought. Kid led state rushing Jr, and Sr. year. Dad decided to let him attend Maine after aggressive recruiting by Ambrosie, Boone, Cosgrove, and former OC. Kid arrives on campus and Cos, Boone, and OC out. In comes Coach H and Cohen, with no RB coach. Kid gets dropped into a 4-back rotation. Benched for the entire Toledo game. Family took the trip and grandparents/rel came in from Detroit. Dad was pretty pissed regarding the explanation given...something about kid was late for practice because he was using the toilet...LOL. Next JMU game kid got in for 1 play. Relationship with Cohen was not good. Ironically, kid still led the team in rushing last season.

This season got worse. Apparently, Cohen continued to make inappropriate comments to the offensive players after each loss (no details). Dad was fed up after the SB game. Shared his concerns with Coach H, who he claims was dismissive and failed to properly investigate. Dad also requested a "permission to contact" other schools. Coach H told dad and player he was releasing kid from the team for putting in the request (Which is not in compliance with NCAA.) Apparently, coach Cohen told the other players that kid was quitting the team...seems like violation of the kid's rights to privacy. Here is another example of inexperienced coaching costing the team. Dad nor kid has requested to be released...but I can't imagine why they would stay!

Check this out BB27..Apparently, some of the seniors on the team told the kid he should transfer as well. Not as loyal to coaching staff as one would imagine. They were pretty pissed off with how their season went. There is no substitute for experience..seems like the coaching staff totally screwed this thing up. My question is "Who's next?"
UMaineDad

Postby mainejeff » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:32 am

Good luck to Mack wherever he ends up. I’m not taking sides in this as it seems like both sides may have mis-handled this. I will say...just because you are a star at Maine that doesn’t mean you will be at your next stop. The coaches need to be a bit more introspective as to how they handle this team...it’s not always the players fault.

On a side note...can this program EVER have a quiet non-controversial off-season??? :roll: :oops:
mainejeff

Postby UMaineDad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 am

mainejeff wrote:Maine gets a commitment from stud RB from PA today. Josh who?

Yes...Kid primarily used as a LB...got speed issues but has the size to carry the load! Let's just hope coaches don't screw this one up. Gotta get a true RB coach...and Strength/Training coach.
UMaineDad

Postby thebam » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 am

If Maine has a quality offensive line, production from the RB spot can come from almost anyone. Sounds like Maine is better off without a parent like this interfering everytime little josh doesn't get enough playing time. Total BS. Bye Felicia! Go Maine.
thebam

Postby UMaineDad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am

thebam wrote:If Maine has a quality offensive line, production from the RB spot can come from almost anyone. Sounds like Maine is better off without a parent like this interfering everytime little josh doesn't get enough playing time. Total BS. Bye Felicia! Go Maine.

I hear ya...but I didn't get that playing time was the major concern this year. I think dad was just expressing some freshman season frustrations...More like player/coach relations. Look, I don't mind a dad advocating for his son...nowadays a lot of black athletes don't have dad's in their lives, unfortunately. So I commend the dad for supporting his son. Seems more like a coach learning curve that got this kid caught in the middle. Parents are parents but coaches gotta handle the business of player management better. UMAINE is not the most attractive place for kids to play, especially when we loose games the way we did this year. Last season we lost Z. Franklin...the Temple transfer...after one season under staff. In the off-season, Coach Ambrosie was fired over some sort of player relations matter, the strength/training coach quit and we're loosing Mack for matters that should have been resolved internally. Something definitely is amiss with this staff! At some point, we gotta acknowledge this fact...I get it that the HC is the youngest coach in NCAA. But "With Great Youth Comes Great Inexperience!" Seems like AD and Cosgrove has got to step up and provide better mentoring and oversight!
UMaineDad

Postby Muchups » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 am

Still doesn't make sense to me. If this past year is any indication he knows he'll get the ball at Maine. I imagine his production would continue to trend upward, he'll again receive accolades and national recognition.

I think he's talented enough to play at most anywhere. I think he'd be very good even at the FBS level. However, there are too many unknowns and risks that come with transferring. Is he going to fit in? Is he going to get the same number of carries? Etc. etc.

Transferring, in that regard, could really hurt his NFL chances which, I think, are pretty good where he is right now.
Muchups

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics