Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:33 am

Maine's Duncan Douglas transferring due to injury

ORONO - Before even having a chance to step foot on the court in game action for the Maine Black Bears, Duncan Douglas will be leaving the program.

The men's basketball team announced Douglas had been released from the program at his request Wednesday, as he decides to pursue ventures outside of basketball. Douglas has missed the entire season, and a release from the university noted the pain caused by his rehab had becoming overwhelming.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/22 ... -to-injury
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
User avatar
Tom Nolette
owner
 
Posts: 80110
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:58 am

Injured player to leave UMaine basketball program

...Junior guard Trae Bryant, who started four of UMaine’s first seven games, began experiencing back problems during the team’s Nov. 26 win at Quinnipiac, then played just seven minutes in a loss at Georgetown before sitting out the Black Bears’ last two contests.

Redshirt sophomore wing Isaiah White, out with a sprained ligament in his foot since starting the season opener at Boston College, returned to practice for the first time since that game Monday and is working toward a return to action, Walsh said.

Sophomore guard Danny Evans missed the UMPI game due to an ankle sprain but is expected to return to action Friday night when 2-7 UMaine hosts 2-4 Dartmouth at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor.

Junior forward Ilija Stojiljkovic, one of the team’s leading rebounders, was injured during the UMPI contest and his immediate status is unknown.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/12/06/s ... l-program/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
User avatar
Tom Nolette
owner
 
Posts: 80110
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Postby Maine19Fan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm guessing Markwood isn't ever going to be Maine's coach.
He probably makes more as a Northeastern assistant than Maine would pay him to be the head coach.
If Northeastern has any success, his next stop is one of two situations:
1) An assistant's position at the next level, probably at a salary over $200K.
2) A head coach position at a mid-major level program that pays a lot more than Maine.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:I'm guessing Markwood isn't ever going to be Maine's coach.
He probably makes more as a Northeastern assistant than Maine would pay him to be the head coach.
If Northeastern has any success, his next stop is one of two situations:
1) An assistant's position at the next level, probably at a salary over $200K.
2) A head coach position at a mid-major level program that pays a lot more than Maine.


Maine19Fan: Maybe money is not that important to Chris Markwood, maybe turning around his alma mater is more improtant. After all, isnt "Money the root of all evil"? Isn't that found in the BIBLE?
bcbc55
 
Posts: 11054
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:12 pm

bcbc55, you speak for a coach when you know absolutely nothing about his motivation.

Coaches get into the profession to coach at the highest level possible, as well as to make money.
When it comes to one's profession, money is far from the root of all evil.
It brings security, a safety net.

Do you honestly think Markwood is going to leave a good and stable situation as the associate head coach at Northeastern to come to Maine for less money?
He's on a faster track than that.
He very easily could come to Maine, get a four-year contract and, then, get fired after four years. Then what? Then, he's "damaged goods."
Walsh's next job, if he gets fired at Maine, isn't going to be a very attractive one.
He'll become a career-long assistant. Or, if he's fortunate, he'll wind up coaching back at the DIII level in some location not of his choosing.
I hope that doesn't happen. I hope Walsh turns things around this year and gets extended.
Why should we root for any person to get fired?

But, the Maine position is looking to be job suicide.
It is arguably one of the most-difficult D1 positions in the country at which to succeed, for all the reasons previously discussed in these forums.
Markham's next job is one in which not only will his salary be close to triple what Maine pays, but one at which he at least has a chance for success.

You say "maybe" money isn't that important ...
Yet you actually work (on a very limited basis) for a newspaper where "maybe" shouldn't mean anything.
Your argument is only valid if you hear from Markwood that money isn't important in this equation.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:bcbc55, you speak for a coach when you know absolutely nothing about his motivation.

Coaches get into the profession to coach at the highest level possible, as well as to make money.
When it comes to one's profession, money is far from the root of all evil.
It brings security, a safety net.

Do you honestly think Markwood is going to leave a good and stable situation as the associate head coach at Northeastern to come to Maine for less money?
He's on a faster track than that.
He very easily could come to Maine, get a four-year contract and, then, get fired after four years. Then what? Then, he's "damaged goods."
Walsh's next job, if he gets fired at Maine, isn't going to be a very attractive one.
He'll become a career-long assistant. Or, if he's fortunate, he'll wind up coaching back at the DIII level in some location not of his choosing.
I hope that doesn't happen. I hope Walsh turns things around this year and gets extended.
Why should we root for any person to get fired?

But, the Maine position is looking to be job suicide.
It is arguably one of the most-difficult D1 positions in the country at which to succeed, for all the reasons previously discussed in these forums.
Markham's next job is one in which not only will his salary be close to triple what Maine pays, but one at which he at least has a chance for success.

You say "maybe" money isn't that important ...
Yet you actually work (on a very limited basis) for a newspaper where "maybe" shouldn't mean anything.
Your argument is only valid if you hear from Markwood that money isn't important in this equation.



Maine19Fan: Then why did Markwood apply for the job, but only got a skype interview when they hired Walsh.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 11054
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Postby thebam » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:18 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
Maine19Fan wrote:bcbc55, you speak for a coach when you know absolutely nothing about his motivation.

Coaches get into the profession to coach at the highest level possible, as well as to make money.
When it comes to one's profession, money is far from the root of all evil.
It brings security, a safety net.

Do you honestly think Markwood is going to leave a good and stable situation as the associate head coach at Northeastern to come to Maine for less money?
He's on a faster track than that.
He very easily could come to Maine, get a four-year contract and, then, get fired after four years. Then what? Then, he's "damaged goods."
Walsh's next job, if he gets fired at Maine, isn't going to be a very attractive one.
He'll become a career-long assistant. Or, if he's fortunate, he'll wind up coaching back at the DIII level in some location not of his choosing.
I hope that doesn't happen. I hope Walsh turns things around this year and gets extended.
Why should we root for any person to get fired?

But, the Maine position is looking to be job suicide.
It is arguably one of the most-difficult D1 positions in the country at which to succeed, for all the reasons previously discussed in these forums.
Markham's next job is one in which not only will his salary be close to triple what Maine pays, but one at which he at least has a chance for success.

You say "maybe" money isn't that important ...
Yet you actually work (on a very limited basis) for a newspaper where "maybe" shouldn't mean anything.
Your argument is only valid if you hear from Markwood that money isn't important in this equation.



Maine19Fan: Then why did Markwood apply for the job, but only got a skype interview when they hired Walsh.

Wasn't Markwood at Vermont back then? Maine would be a step up. Associate Head Coach at Northeastern vs Maine HC? Not sure that is a promotion.
User avatar
thebam
 
Posts: 4438
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 10:42 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:43 pm

As always, bcbc55 speaks (writes) without knowing.
Back then Markwood was an assistant at Vermont, making an estimate $70K annually.
At the time, becoming Maine's head coach would have be a step forward.
And, who's to say that he "applied?" Maybe Maine reached out to him.
Do you know about that?
You're the one who works for a newspaper. As such, you're supposed to find things out.
Go find out what happened back then. Don't just guess.

Now?
As associate head coach at Northeastern, probably making considerably more than he would get as Maine's head coach.
He's in a program that has a legitimate chance for success and, as such, his next step is either to a better assistant's position at a Power 5 conference, or as a head coach at a program better than Maine's.

It would actually be a step back for him now to become Maine's head coach.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:As always, bcbc55 speaks (writes) without knowing.
Back then Markwood was an assistant at Vermont, making an estimate $70K annually.
At the time, becoming Maine's head coach would have be a step forward.
And, who's to say that he "applied?" Maybe Maine reached out to him.
Do you know about that?
You're the one who works for a newspaper. As such, you're supposed to find things out.
Go find out what happened back then. Don't just guess.

Now?
As associate head coach at Northeastern, probably making considerably more than he would get as Maine's head coach.
He's in a program that has a legitimate chance for success and, as such, his next step is either to a better assistant's position at a Power 5 conference, or as a head coach at a program better than Maine's.

It would actually be a step back for him now to become Maine's head coach.


Maine19Fan: I am not guessing going by history, fscts and sources I am not giving you my sources it is none of your business nor anybody else's here on MBR. You don't give up your sources just to please the public because then you get shut out and you let people know who they are when they do not want to named as a source.

That goes for the reasons Maine plays non-conference D-1 opponents which I said was to pad wins which is a stat and to keep games with fellow in state university system schools and about Chris Markwood's applying for the Maine job when it was open in 2014-15.

You make a lot of accusations for a person who hides behind a user name
bcbc55
 
Posts: 11054
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Injury report on UMaine men's basketball team

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Bottom line, bcbc55 ... you don't know.

I asked you to call the Maine basketball office to find out about their scheduling policy because you admitted you didn't know. Your answer was that they'd hang up on you.
You don't even know that they'd do that. They'd probably welcome the opportunity to go on the record about something that's being improperly criticized in a public forum.

You're going on history? Something that happened years ago doesn't mean that it's happening now.

Your questioning of Maine's scheduling policy? Pure conjecture.

Your views on Markwood's connection with the UMaine coaching job? Pure conjecture.

Good newspaper people don't guess. They find out.

The only people who really know about Maine's scheduling policy and about Markwood's situation are the people at UMaine. And, you've already admitted that you're afraid to make a phone call.... because they'd hang up on you.

Do you actually think if someone at Maine actually talked to you about the scheduling policy, they'd want to remain anonymous? C'mon. We're not exactly talking about the Pentagon Papers.

Doesn't matter if a poster remains anonymous, if he/she brings good information to the table.
But, if the information doesn't suit your very narrow-minded view of the world, you're going to shoot the messenger. I get it ...that's all you got.

Oh, by the way, I also asked you to provide a list of 8 current college players from Maine who are legit D1 contributors who, together, would transform Maine into a winner.
That remains unanswered

Does one have to reveal an identity to ask that question?
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dunbar, Google [Bot] and 60 guests