UMaine's Basketball teams both face Dartmouth this weekend

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine's Basketball teams both face Dartmouth this weekend

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Both UMaine men's and women's basketball teams both play Ivy League opponents Dartmouth this weekend. On Friday at 7:00pm the men host the Big Green at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor and on Saturday at 12noon the Maine women are at Dartmouth.

The Dartmouth men are 2-4 and ranked 347 and Maine 2-7 (1-7 vs. D-1 opponents) are ranked 287 in the realtimerpi.com team RPI rankings pf 351 teams ranked.

The Ivy league conference is ranked 28th and the America East Conference is ranked 27th in the same rankings of RPI of thr 32 D-1 conferences,.

So by the rankings and the home court advantage the Mainers should be the considered favorites.

On the women's side the Darmouth women 6-1 (only loss is to Army) are ranked in the realtimerpi.com RPI rankings a148 to Maine's 139 RPI ranking of the 349 ranked D-1 teams.

The Ivy league is ranked 9th and the America East conference is ranked 24th in the realtimerpi/com conference RPI rankings for the 32 conferences.

With the game being played at Hanover and the rankings so close this game could be considered a toss up.

Game could come down to whether or not Maine is hot from beyond the arc and how well they defend the inside post game of Darmouth's.
bcbc55

Re: UMaine's Basketball teams both face Dartmouth this weeke

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:54 am

Three-pointers will help UMaine women’s basketball team offset interior defending issues

...It is the fourth time in nine games that UMaine has hit 10 or more 3-pointers.

“We have a real good 3-point shooting team,” UMaine head coach Amy Vachon said. “I’ve been saying that since day one. We have three of the best shooters we’ve had since I’ve been here. When we get our feet set, we’re really good shooters.”

But Vachon was less than enamored with her team’s interior defense.

“[Felix] had 21 points,” said Vachon, whose team has been outscored 208-174 in the paint by its Division I opponents.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/12/06/s ... ng-issues/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:01 am

Maine Basketball‏
@BlackBearMBB

Game Preview | Maine Welcomes Dartmouth to the Cross Insurance Center for Friday Night Tilt

#BlackBearNation #AEHoops

Details: http://bit.ly/2BQMAi5
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:03 am

Maine Women's Hoops‏
@BlackBearsWBB

Black Bears continue non-conference play Saturday at Dartmouth

#BlackBearNation #AEHoops

Preview: http://bit.ly/2zYLrng
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 am

Versatility key to UMaine's success against power teams

...We knew what kind of team we were built to, but we were not reaching it," guard Julie Brosseau said. "So we just put more effort and more energy in those games. We compete. And we more [sic] focused. And it really helped us."

Since the Black Bears turned up the intensity, the difference has been extremely noticeable. Quick transition defense and dynamite shooting, particularly from beyond the arc, has displayed the kind of versatility this year's team brings to the table in America East. A pair of strong outings against Top 25 teams in Miami and Ohio State, the latter of which saw Brosseau match the program's record for 3's in a game with seven, displayed the weapons in its arsenal. And as Maine enters conference play shortly, she believes the shooting ability combined with versatility can carry it deep.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/22 ... ower-teams
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:06 am

Technical tip helps UMaine sophomore shooter get back on target

...“(Player) really helped me with my shooting,” said Brosseau. “She said my elbow was a little bit more on the exterior, so I tried to bring it in.”

“I caught her in the gym working on a bad shot. She came wearing an arm sleeve one day, she was trying anything (to improve her shooting),” chuckled Player, who is UMaine’s recruiting coordinator. “I watched a little film on her, saw that her elbow was out and the rotation wasn’t right.

“We got her in the gym a little bit, got her elbow in, got it off the front of her face and she has been shooting it really well ever since,” said Player.

Player said she reminded Brosseau of what her shot should look like and that she was willing to make the needed adjustments.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/12/09/s ... on-target/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics