Miami's women's inside game beats UMaine 80-70

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

WBB: Maine at University of Miami 11/24, 4 pm

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:27 am

WBB: Maine at University of Miami 11/24, 4 pm
ACC Network Extra
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
User avatar
Tom Nolette
owner
 
Posts: 73337
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: Maine

Re: WBB: Maine at University of Miami 11/24, 4 pm

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:14 am

Maine Women's Hoops‏
@BlackBearsWBB

WBB: Black Bears set to take on Miami, Kennesaw State in Miami Thanksgiving Tournament

Preview: http://bit.ly/2mSz4XQ

#BlackBearNation #AEHoops
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
User avatar
Tom Nolette
owner
 
Posts: 73337
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: Maine

Miami's women's inside game beats UMaine 80-70

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 pm

For game write up and stats go to my offtherimbangordailynews.com and you will find it all there.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Miami's women's inside game beats UMaine 80-70

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:22 am

bcbc55 wrote:For game write up and stats go to my offtherimbangordailynews.com and you will find it all there.


Coach Cim,
Either post your content on MBR or link to your BDN article .... but do not leave a line in the water without a hook attached.. THX

PS .. BDN new layout on-line is very ineffective in promoting your or other blogs...
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
User avatar
Tom Nolette
owner
 
Posts: 73337
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Miami's women's inside game beats UMaine 80-70

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:23 am

RECAP:
Women's Hoops Falls to Miami in Miami Thanksgiving Tournament Action
Maine closes out Miami Thanksgiving Tournament Sunday vs. Kennesaw St.

Coral Gables, Fl. – The University of Maine three-game win streak was snapped with an 80-70 decision at Miami in the opening round of the Miami Thanksgiving Tournament on Friday afternoon.

Blanca Millan and Julie Brosseau each bested the 20-point mark to lead the way. Millan finished in double-digits for the fourth-straight game with a team-high 21 points while Brosseau hit 7-of-8 from the free throw stripe on her way to a career-high 20 points.

The Black Bears, who trailed by 13 in the first half, fought back to tie the game, 37-37, at the halftime break.

"I love this team and I love the fight they gave but we made too many mistakes," commented head coach Amy Vachon. "The fight they showed to come back was great but if we don't dig the hole in the first place, we don't have to fight back"

As a unit, the Black Bears went 11-for-26 from 3-point range to finish with their highest percentage from downtown (42.3%). The difference was in the paint where Maine was outscored 44-16.

Miami, leading by five with a minute left in the first, put together an 8-0 run off three Maine turnovers, to take a 26-13 lead. Millan's triple as time expired in the first cut the lead to 10 heading into the second quarter.

The Black Bears swung the momentum over the next 10-minutes, outscoring Miami 21-11 in the second quarter.

A layup from Erykah Davenport with just less than four minutes left in the half gave Miami a 35-29 lead.

The Black Bears would close the half strong, putting together an 8-2 run. Millan began the scoring, knocking down her third triple of the half, before forcing a steal and dishing it to Brosseau for a pair, cutting the lead to one.

After a pair of Miami free throws, Brosseau buried Maine's seventh 3-pointer of the half to send the game into the break knotted at 37-37.

Overall, Maine shot 7-for-12 from 3-point range in the first half.

The Black Bears were unable to keep their strong play up in the third quarter. Miami opened the quarter on a 10-0 run before ultimately outscoring the Black Bears, 29-14 in the third to carry a 66-51 lead into the fourth.

Miami's lead swelled to 20, 76-56, with 6:35 left in regulation.

However, there was no quit in the Black Bears. A 14-4 run capped with back-to-back 3-pointers from Dor Saar, brought Maine back within 10 with 2:30 to play.

But Maine was unable to shrink the lead further, dropping the opener of the Miami Thanksgiving Tournament by a final of 80-70.

Maine is back in action on Sunday, Nov. 26 when it meets Kennesaw St. at 2 p.m.

http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2017/1 ... ament.aspx


Miami pulls away in second half, beats Maine 80-70

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/22 ... aine-80-70
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
User avatar
Tom Nolette
owner
 
Posts: 73337
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Miami's women's inside game beats UMaine 80-70

Postby mainejeff » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:14 am

Tom Nolette wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:For game write up and stats go to my offtherimbangordailynews.com and you will find it all there.


Coach Cim,
Either post your content on MBR or link to your BDN article .... but do not leave a line in the water without a hook attached.. THX

PS .. BDN new layout on-line is very ineffective in promoting your or other blogs...


The BDN is becoming a pay to read site....which is a great excuse to longer visit their site. :)
User avatar
mainejeff
 
Posts: 18099
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Re: Miami's women's inside game beats UMaine 80-70

Postby mainah57 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:28 pm

Cim - it doesn't seem that the offtherimbangordailynews.com link works. I think offtherim.bangordailynews.com (with the extra period) does the trick. Just in case anyone else was having issues.

Regarding the Miami game, a few thoughts...

1. I was very relieved to see Dor Saar able to return to the game after that nasty fall. The importance of her role on this team is becoming more and more apparent with each passing game. I was overall quite impressed with her ability to handle near-constant pressure from Miami. I would happily see her playing 30-40 minutes each game.

2. Tanesha continues to do so many things that don't always neatly show up on the stat sheet. Crucial saves, pulling down rebounds in situations where she's vastly outnumbered, etc. She plays with 110% effort every minute she's out there. I was bummed to see that a few clearly BAD calls took her out of the game early. It has seemed that lately she's been on the unlucky side of far too many crappy calls, and when the result of that is that she only is able to play half her usual minutes due to foul trouble, it really does hurt our team a lot.

3. Glad Julie seems to have found her shot again. It seems to have also given her more confidence overall, as she seemed like a completely different player on Friday - driving to the hoop, creating opportunities, etc.

4. Overall, I thought the team played really hard - I was expecting this to be a possible blowout, so to see things tied up at the half, and for Maine to go on multiple runs, was awesome. It would have been really nice to get the W (I honestly think this is a team we can beat), but to truly play with a top team like Miami for all 40 minutes, make it a game from start to finish, and score 70 points against them is not too shabby. If I'm Miami, I walk away from this game knowing that Maine is not a team to be taken lightly. And given that we're still very young and it's still early in the season, I'll take that.

I'm hoping we can get the W vs. Kennesaw State tomorrow. Regardless of what their record is, I don't think this game is going to be a "gimmie" by any means (could actually be an interesting matchup - fingers crossed that their bigs don't give us too much trouble...); but, it should be winnable if the team plays like they did on Friday.
mainah57
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Miami's women's inside game beats UMaine 80-70

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:26 am

mainah57 wrote:Cim - it doesn't seem that the offtherimbangordailynews.com link works. I think offtherim.bangordailynews.com (with the extra period) does the trick. Just in case anyone else was having issues.

Regarding the Miami game, a few thoughts...

1. I was very relieved to see Dor Saar able to return to the game after that nasty fall. The importance of her role on this team is becoming more and more apparent with each passing game. I was overall quite impressed with her ability to handle near-constant pressure from Miami. I would happily see her playing 30-40 minutes each game.

2. Tanesha continues to do so many things that don't always neatly show up on the stat sheet. Crucial saves, pulling down rebounds in situations where she's vastly outnumbered, etc. She plays with 110% effort every minute she's out there. I was bummed to see that a few clearly BAD calls took her out of the game early. It has seemed that lately she's been on the unlucky side of far too many crappy calls, and when the result of that is that she only is able to play half her usual minutes due to foul trouble, it really does hurt our team a lot.

3. Glad Julie seems to have found her shot again. It seems to have also given her more confidence overall, as she seemed like a completely different player on Friday - driving to the hoop, creating opportunities, etc.

4. Overall, I thought the team played really hard - I was expecting this to be a possible blowout, so to see things tied up at the half, and for Maine to go on multiple runs, was awesome. It would have been really nice to get the W (I honestly think this is a team we can beat), but to truly play with a top team like Miami for all 40 minutes, make it a game from start to finish, and score 70 points against them is not too shabby. If I'm Miami, I walk away from this game knowing that Maine is not a team to be taken lightly. And given that we're still very young and it's still early in the season, I'll take that.

I'm hoping we can get the W vs. Kennesaw State tomorrow. Regardless of what their record is, I don't think this game is going to be a "gimmie" by any means (could actually be an interesting matchup - fingers crossed that their bigs don't give us too much trouble...); but, it should be winnable if the team plays like they did on Friday.


mainah57: I just used offtherimbangordailynews.com at 12:21am and have been using it right along and that has taken me right to my "off the rim" column without any problems. Also just used offtherim.bangordailynews.com @ 12:31am and that worked too.

However, thanks for bringing it to my attention so I could check it out.

The rankings of RPI say KS should win and the stats say UMaine should win so I guess it is a tossup but winnable though.

Too bad it is only going to be on Radio and not streamed.

Men's game vs. Quinnipiac is being streamed though.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am


Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcbc55 and 53 guests