UMaine men's basketball team drops 5th straight

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine men's basketball team drops 5th straight

Postby Linguist » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:05 am

Bam - no band, no students because it was thanksgiving break on campus. Not a lot of walk up in town fans because it was a 2pm start on a Wednesday. So I wouldn't write off their crowds just yet, (and side not John Bapst is going to suck and they probably won't even get both parents of the players to go to the games.)

As for the game and play of the team, Coach Walsh makes some dumb decisions. He puts in Ilker Er, who never met a 3 he didn't want to take and rarely ventures any closer to the rim than 17 feet, yet Walsh yells at him for not rebounding. Uh Coach that is like me sitting in the 12th row being able to get rebounds, neither one of us has any interest in heading into the paint to see if I can snag a board.

Then Walsh starts Evans, he plays well in the 1st half, solid defense, facilitates (and knows his limitations) on offense and Maine builds up a lead with him and Celio on the floor. BU goes on a 15-0 run to end the half, and those two are basically buried on the bench in favor of Dennis Ashley! What? Ashley should never play in a D1 game, he can't defend Er who just stands around.

Once BU turned up the defensive pressure Maine fell apart and couldn't handle it and then turn it over. Once Maine ramped the defensive pressure up late, BU turned it over and Maine got shots. Who was on the floor for that? Evans and Celio not Er and Ashley.

Antoms is terrified to shoot, and when he got close to the hoop with the ball he panicked. Dunk it big fella, it's okay.

This team has ability in spots, but in every single game they get out coached. BU's coach turned up the defensive intensity and used a three quarter court trap late in the 1st half and Maine collapsed and Walsh had no answer for it and couldn't make any adjustments to stop it.

I will say Coach Walsh riding Gary the Referee was worth the ticket price though.
Linguist

Postby dunbar » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:22 am

Agree with everything above.

If Calixte can minimize the dumb mistakes and slow things down when he needs to, he'll be able to capitalize on the all-conference talent he has.

I hope Gary works every game at the CIC for the rest of the year.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Linguist wrote:Bam - no band, no students because it was thanksgiving break on campus. Not a lot of walk up in town fans because it was a 2pm start on a Wednesday. So I wouldn't write off their crowds just yet, (and side not John Bapst is going to suck and they probably won't even get both parents of the players to go to the games.)

As for the game and play of the team, Coach Walsh makes some dumb decisions. He puts in Ilker Er, who never met a 3 he didn't want to take and rarely ventures any closer to the rim than 17 feet, yet Walsh yells at him for not rebounding. Uh Coach that is like me sitting in the 12th row being able to get rebounds, neither one of us has any interest in heading into the paint to see if I can snag a board.

Then Walsh starts Evans, he plays well in the 1st half, solid defense, facilitates (and knows his limitations) on offense and Maine builds up a lead with him and Celio on the floor. BU goes on a 15-0 run to end the half, and those two are basically buried on the bench in favor of Dennis Ashley! What? Ashley should never play in a D1 game, he can't defend Er who just stands around.

Once BU turned up the defensive pressure Maine fell apart and couldn't handle it and then turn it over. Once Maine ramped the defensive pressure up late, BU turned it over and Maine got shots. Who was on the floor for that? Evans and Celio not Er and Ashley.

Antoms is terrified to shoot, and when he got close to the hoop with the ball he panicked. Dunk it big fella, it's okay.

This team has ability in spots, but in every single game they get out coached. BU's coach turned up the defensive intensity and used a three quarter court trap late in the 1st half and Maine collapsed and Walsh had no answer for it and couldn't make any adjustments to stop it.

I will say Coach Walsh riding Gary the Referee was worth the ticket price though.

Linquist: Agree with most of your post. However Er is the 2nd leading rebounder on the offensive boards and defensive boards. So he is getting below the foul line as much as Fleming and Ilija S. on both ends of the court.
............................Average
...................Total...Minutes........Rebounds
Player.........Minutes..Per game. Off.Def Total Ave
1st Ilija S.........118...... 26,.2.....6...27..33....6.6
2nd Er.............106......21.2......5...22..27....5.4
3rd Fleming......131......23.6.......7..15..22....4.4
TEAM TOTALS...1005................41.129..170..34.0
OPPONENTS.....1005................52.164..216..43.2

Antoms is uptight as he knows he is not going to get many minutes 48 total averaging 9.6 per game and he presses offensively, Play him longer stretches so he can let the game come to him instead of him trying to take himself to the game. He needs to relax, but tough to do when your minutes are limited.

He is the only true back-to-the-basket low block post player. SO PLAY HIM until he needs a rest.

Even though Calixe 22 points he had 9 of the 19 turnovers as the point guard against BU.

Maybe Walsh and Gary should swap jobs.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics