UMaine men's basketball team drops 5th straight

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine men's basketball team drops 5th straight

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Go to offtherimbangordailynews.com for the write up and results
bcbc55

Re: UMaine men's basketball team drops 5th straight

Postby thebam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:09 pm

I realize you want to promote your blog, but this is a good spot for you to put game results and write-ups as well.
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:39 pm

So WTF was the score?
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:51 pm

mainejeff wrote:So WTF was the score?

78-69 BU wins. According to a friend who was there, John Bapst High will draw bigger crowds. To quote:
" Zero Students. Zero band. Zero cheerleaders/dance team."
Great " home" atmosphere. Great scheduling.
thebam

Postby Patsfan07 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Calixte came close to a triple double.....22 pts, 8 rebounds, 9 turnovers...a mix bag indeed !
Patsfan07

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:57 pm

mainejeff wrote:So WTF was the score?

mj: Sorry about that. My bad.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:24 pm

At this point I'm not as concerned about the coaching as I am the lack of talent of the available players. Maine is undersized at every position. They have 1 true post player available and a couple of combo forwards who are playing out position. White and Douglas are on the shelf and probably the two best athletes on the team. Lowndes isn't in the rotation.
Calixte your senior leader has got to take care of ball. The turnovers are not acceptable. He made many great plays today but followed that up by making unforced errors: Stepping out of bounds or just fumbling the ball and coughing it up. He cost his team several possessions today. I pull for the kid, always have,because he plays with energy and heart all the time. He has to play a much better floor game if this team is going to win any games. Maine played hard and they played well in certain stretches. There are a couple of guys getting big minutes who are not D1 players. Coach Walsh is doing what he can with what he has been dealt. He lost two studs in back to back years ( Myers and Vann). Tough to replace that type of talent.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:At this point I'm not as concerned about the coaching as I am the lack of talent of the available players. Maine is undersized at every position. They have 1 true post player available and a couple of combo forwards who are playing out position. White and Douglas are on the shelf and probably the two best athletes on the team. Lowndes isn't in the rotation.
Calixte your senior leader has got to take care of ball. The turnovers are not acceptable. He made many great plays today but followed that up by making unforced errors: Stepping out of bounds or just fumbling the ball and coughing it up. He cost his team several possessions today. I pull for the kid, always have,because he plays with energy and heart all the time. He has to play a much better floor game if this team is going to win any games. Maine played hard and they played well in certain stretches. There are a couple of guys getting big minutes who are not D1 players. Coach Walsh is doing what he can with what he has been dealt. He lost two studs in back to back years ( Myers and Vann). Tough to replace that type of talent.

BZ: Calixe had 9 of Maine's 19 turnovers today. 3 were stepping out-of-bounds with the ball.

If they are going to lose then Antoms who is the only back-to-the-basket post player on team should play until he needs a rest.

Starting Caxile 5'11" (33.6 mpg), Araujo 5'10 (11.6 mpg)(more like 5'8"), Ilija S. 6'7" (23.6 they are real small for a D-1 team.

Calixe only player averaging more than 30 minutes per game.

They just can't match up defensively or on the boards and of course have no inside-outside game to get open 3's although today they shot better from beyond the arc 10 for 28 shooting 35.7% after going into the game at 21.4% on 21 for 98. After 5 games they are 31-126 for 24.6%%

However, they took 28 of 63 FGA's today meaning they took
44.4% of their attempts were 3's. For the 5 games they have taken 126 of 289 as 3's for 41.5%.

Why Er 6'6" (averaging just 16 minutes per game) doesn't start is beyond me along with 6'9" Antoms (averaging 9.6 minutes per game).

But coaching staff just must love those 12 guards of 17 rostered players (16 without Eze) especially the small ones.

With what is available now I would start:

Forward Er 6'6"
Forward Fleming 6'7"
Center Antoms 6'9"
Off guard: Evans 6'5"" (18 mpg)
Point guard: Calixe 5'11"

Subs front court" Ilija S. 6'7", Douglas 6'6" (9.5 mpg)
Back court: Bryant 6'1"

Play just 8 players.

Start White 6'5" when he is ready to replace Evans

Blind Zebra what would be your starting lineup and subs off the bench.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:17 am

Maine Basketball‏
@BlackBearMBB

Calixte scores game-high 22 in loss to Boston University

Recap: http://bit.ly/2A3XBMo

#BlackBearNation #AEHoops

Maine men's basketball falls to Boston University 78-69
http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/22 ... sity-78-69
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:10 am

...“They controlled the pace of the game [during that stretch],” said UMaine sophomore forward Andrew Fleming.

“It was a really disappointing result,” said UMaine coach Bob Walsh. “We came out and controlled the edge of the game for the first 10 to 12 minutes. We were really comfortable. We got stops on 11 of BU’s first 15 possessions and we were getting decent looks on offense although we hadn’t really settled into a groove. But I thought that would come.

“Then we let them flip the edge of the game on us and we never really got it back. They attacked us a little more aggressively, they were cutting harder [to the basket] and they were more aggressive on defense and forced some turnovers,” said Walsh. “I wasn’t happy with the way we responded.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/11/23/s ... ball-team/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics