Football

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Football 2018

Postby RForester » Wed May 30, 2018 10:10 am

dunbar wrote:New turf is planned for 2019.

Will soccer be allowed to use it to? Or will they still be relegated to playing in the mahaney outfield?
RForester

Postby Waterboy61 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:05 pm

RForester wrote:

Will soccer be allowed to use it to? Or will they still be relegated to playing in the Mahaney outfield?

The plan for the department had been (Kreech) to remove the track around the football field and build a new one out in the area of the practice fields with a soccer field in the middle. Softball is in need for a turf field as well. Just when that all gets done baseball field will need replacement. If they continue to want to host the lights will need upgrading as well. I thought this tournament it was really hard to see.
Waterboy61

Postby thebam » Wed May 30, 2018 12:18 pm

Will be interesting to see, now that Kreech is gone, if fundraising changes ? Friends groups return, etc... That might go a long way to getting some of these projects done in a more timely manner.
thebam

Postby dunbar » Wed May 30, 2018 12:21 pm

RForester wrote:

Will soccer be allowed to use it to? Or will they still be relegated to playing in the mahaney outfield?

Considering that a standard soccer pitch is at least 70 yards wide, it wouldn't be feasible.
dunbar

Postby fafan » Wed May 30, 2018 4:45 pm

Waterboy61 wrote:
RForester wrote:

Will soccer be allowed to use it to? Or will they still be relegated to playing in the Mahaney outfield?

The plan for the department had been (Kreech) to remove the track around the football field and build a new one out in the area of the practice fields with a soccer field in the middle. Softball is in need for a turf field as well. Just when that all gets done baseball field will need replacement. If they continue to want to host the lights will need upgrading as well. I thought this tournament it was really hard to see.

Removing the track around the football field would be awesome. It just allows the fanbase to be so much closer to the game. I am not sure there are any FBS schools with a track anymore and most FCS schools are going that way. Our neighbors to the south have a beautiful facility but leaving the track was a bad decision.
fafan

Postby RForester » Thu May 31, 2018 9:38 am

dunbar wrote:
RForester wrote:

Considering that a standard soccer pitch is at least 70 yards wide, it wouldn't be feasible.

Gillette...?
RForester

Postby thebam » Thu May 31, 2018 10:18 am

Gillette is at least triple? the size of Alfond Stadium. Way more real estate inside the seating areas.
Can't compare the 2.
Is soccer on the outfield , other than the wear and tear on the turf , such a bad thing? Do they need a 10,000 seat stadium to play women's soccer in?
thebam

Postby RForester » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 am

thebam wrote:Gillette is at least triple? the size of Alfond Stadium. Way more real estate inside the seating areas.
Can't compare the 2.
Is soccer on the outfield , other than the wear and tear on the turf , such a bad thing? Do they need a 10,000 seat stadium to play women's soccer in?

Read the last few posts a bit closer. Dunbar's post ("Considering that a standard soccer pitch is at least 70 yards wide, it wouldn't be feasible.") was talking about the literal size of the field --- not the stadium itself --- and thus mine was jumping off of that and pointing out that soccer and football are often both played on the same field. But to answer your question, no. Women's soccer doesn't need a 10,000 seat stadium to play in...and neither does football.
RForester

Postby dunbar » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:08 pm

The infield of the track is 208’ wide. The turf itself isn’t even that wide. I believe the pitch at Mahaney is 75x110 yards. When they moved soccer to Mahaney, they looked at Alfond Stadium first, but it clearly wasn’t wide enough for what they wanted.

The NFL mandates at least 55 feet between the front row of stands and the sideline. The pitch at Gillette barely meets FIFA international standards.

Also, no Division I football field should have other sports lines visible, ever.
dunbar

Postby Blackbear28 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:04 pm

dunbar wrote:Also, no Division I football field should have other sports lines visible, ever.

Hardoooooo
Blackbear28

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics