UMaine basketball teams need more production from post playe

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:That you wouldn't take Draymond Green on your team is ludicrous.
Secondly, it's also foolish to think players would improve by getting more time in games.
Players do most of their improvement in the off season.
Then, there's improvement that comes in practices.
Coaches know which players are better than others, and which ones give them a better chance to win games.
That's all that determines playing time.


Maine19Fan:

1. Do you think with their good human beings first philosophy that the San Antonio Spur or the Boston Celtics would take Draymond (Headcase) Green unless they could get him to change his childish and immature behavior?

2. They have to know what to practice in the off season and that comes or should comes from coaches.

3. Players have to get game time to improve because thre is much more pressure in game situations then there.
are in practice sessions.

4. Not all coaches know that.

5. Playing time by some teams is just intramural style where to many players play. Good teams go no deeper the 8 at the most players in tough games.

You certainly are entitled your opinions as am I. I base my opinions on my basketball experiences for the past 73 plus years as a player, coach, official. TV/radio color commentator, author, writer and fan, what do you base yours on?

Just "Different basketball strokes for different basketball folks:.

or "What floats your basketball boat doesn't necessarily float my basketball boat".

"Opinions are like noses, everyone has one".
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:35 pm

You think NBA teams only want to have "good human beings?"

Here's what they want: To win games. At all cost.

You might perceive Draymond Green as the most-abysmal human being on earth. But, guess what? He's a major factor in Golden State's success of recent years.

They love him because of that.

As to your point No. 3: Players get game time by EARNING it, not so they can improve. Improvement comes in practice, in off-season workouts.
By using lesser players in game situations in order to let them improve ... that is counterproductive to trying to win.

Let's put it this way, 55: During your coaching career, did you ever think that, during a close game with the pressure on, that you were going to insert some lightly used bench player into the contest because you thought it might help him improve?

Oh, and you counter your own argument with the statement that good teams only go 8 deep. If that's the case, then I guess players 9, 10, 11, 12, etc., won't ever improve because they don't get into games.

Can't have it both ways.

I think your boat has sunk!
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:You think NBA teams only want to have "good human beings?"

Here's what they want: To win games. At all cost.

You might perceive Draymond Green as the most-abysmal human being on earth. But, guess what? He's a major factor in Golden State's success of recent years.

They love him because of that.

As to your point No. 3: Players get game time by EARNING it, not so they can improve. Improvement comes in practice, in off-season workouts.
By using lesser players in game situations in order to let them improve ... that is counterproductive to trying to win.

Let's put it this way, 55: During your coaching career, did you ever think that, during a close game with the pressure on, that you were going to insert some lightly used bench player into the contest because you thought it might help him improve?

Oh, and you counter your own argument with the statement that good teams only go 8 deep. If that's the case, then I guess players 9, 10, 11, 12, etc., won't ever improve because they don't get into games.

Can't have it both ways.

I think your boat has sunk!


Maine19Fan: Let me raise my boat.

The Spurs and Celtics wouldn't sign a guy like Green.

The difference between college and high school games is non conference college games are like high school exhibitions games and I always made sure all my players got to play in exhibition games.

In both Maine's men's and women's games they do not get all their players in after the game has been decided, They keep on playing the better players to make the score look better. Examples in a 40 point loss and a 30 point loss 6'5" freshmen Kat Williams did not get to play 1 second total. I would be very surprised if she returns next season if she doesn't get at least playing time in blowout games non-conference or conference.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Let me sink your boat: The Golden State Warriors are the best team in the NBA, and they love having Draymond Green.

Here's another shot at your broadside: The Celtics and Spurs would take him in a heartbeat.

The NBA isn't high school basketball. It's a big-money business.
Winning produces money. Draymond helps his team win.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:22 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Let me sink your boat: The Golden State Warriors are the best team in the NBA, and they love having Draymond Green.

Here's another shot at your broadside: The Celtics and Spurs would take him in a heartbeat.

The NBA isn't high school basketball. It's a big-money business.
Winning produces money. Draymond helps his team win.


Maine19Fan: That is just your opinion on Green and the Spurs and Celtics.

No comment on Kat Williams lack of playing time in non conference blowout games? I believe she has just gotten 29 total minutes in 4 games so far this season/
Last edited by bcbc55 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:24 pm

As an allegedly keen observer of basketball, you should know that the NBA is about nothing but winning.
Any team that thought Draymond Green would contribute to winning would take him in a heartbeat, that includes the Spurs and the Celtics.

And, how did Kat Williams get into this particular conversation? Deflect, deflect, deflect.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:As an allegedly keen observer of basketball, you should know that the NBA is about nothing but winning.
Any team that thought Draymond Green would contribute to winning would take him in a heartbeat, that includes the Spurs and the Celtics.

And, how did Kat Williams get into this particular conversation? Deflect, deflect, deflect.



19: Spurs and Celtics care how they win. They will not take players just to win, they want to win with class or they don't want to win headcases. That is the philosophy of the Ownership, coaches and players.

Kat Williams was added because I was answering your question to me about playing players beyondhe 8 in games.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Don't know what you mean about Kat Williams. She has only played 29 total minutes.
Don't you think that if Vachon thought Williams could improve by playing in games she'd use her more?
Or, is Vachon trying to actually win games with the best players that she has available?

Like I said, can't have it both ways.
One side of your mouth says to use players in games in order for them to improve.
The other side says go with an 8-person roster.

As for the Celts/Spurs debate: Again, you make unsubstantiated assertions.
How about Kyrie Irvin? A malcontent, right?
Couldn't get along with LeBron. Forced his way out of Cleveland.
Does that sound like a good guy?
Yet, here he is in Boston.

NBA teams don't draft choir boys. Neither do the Spurs.
You have absolutely no idea about whether guys on those teams, or on any NBA team, are supposed good guys or bad guys.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:49 pm

19: Popovich ha
Maine19Fan wrote:Don't know what you mean about Kat Williams. She has only played 29 total minutes.
Don't you think that if Vachon thought Williams could improve by playing in games she'd use her more?
Or, is Vachon trying to actually win games with the best players that she has available?

Like I said, can't have it both ways.
One side of your mouth says to use players in games in order for them to improve.
The other side says go with an 8-person roster.

As for the Celts/Spurs debate: Again, you make unsubstantiated assertions.
How about Kyrie Irvin? A malcontent, right?
Couldn't get along with LeBron. Forced his way out of Cleveland.
Does that sound like a good guy?
Yet, here he is in Boston.

NBA teams don't draft choir boys. Neither do the Spurs.
You have absolutely no idea about whether guys on those teams, or on any NBA team, are supposed good guys or bad guys.


19: How many headcases have the Spurs ever had, oh yeah, Duncan, Parker, Giniboli. Leonard, and so on. They draft good human beings first and that is shown by their draft history and the same is when they trade for players they are looking fo good human beings first.

I said I played 8 in regular season heal point games and played everyone in non heal point games. College basketball non-conference games are exhibitions, conference games equivalant to heal point high school games.
count in conference play.

Not to play Kat Williams a second in two blowout games is not right period.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:22 pm

55: Like I said: NBA teams don't draft choirboys.

Google Tony Parker and "scandal" to see a little about him and, then, tell me the Spurs only drafted good guys.

Sidney Wicks, Curtis Rowe both played extensively for the Celtics years ago, and both were absolute team cancers.

Check out Terry Rozier's indiscretions when he was Louisville.

All-time slime ball Rick Pitino was once the Celtics' coach.

Bruce Bowen, who played many years for the Spurs, was one of the dirtiest players in NBA history.

Rod Strickland, one of the most-selfish players of all time, played several years with the Spurs.

Former Spurs' star Chuck Person was recently arrested for bribery in the recent college hoops' scandal of payoffs for recruits.

So, neither the Celts nor the Spurs are "Saints."

As for Kat Williams: She doesn't play in games because she's not good enough right now.
You don't get better getting thrown in to a game.
That's how you lose games.
You get better in practice, during individual workouts in summer workouts.

But, you not only know more than the Maine men's basketball coach, you now know more than coaches in the women's program.
You are amazing!
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcbc55, dunbar, fafan and 65 guests