UMaine basketball teams need more production from post playe

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:12 pm

Like I said ... and, I didn't have to read a mind to figure it out.... ol' 55 believes he'd do a better job as Maine's coach.

This from an individual who never:
- Had to scout extensively, never watched film of opponents.
- Never had to coach a team of D1 athletes, never created a game plan predicated on the athletic skills of D1 athletes and opponents.
- Abhors the 3-point shot.
- Never had to recruit.
- Rarely had to deal with media, do public relations duties, etc.
- Never had to conduct off-season workouts
- Never had to oversee players' off-court issues, i.e., academics, etc.

Need we go on?

But, he would have 8 Maine kids on the roster, even though he can't come up with a credible list of current college players that includes more than 2 Maine players making any contributions on the D1 level.

Yeah, that would work!

55 might have been a decent h.s. coach, but that was in a different era.
And, it is extremely rare for a h.s. coach anywhere to become a successful college coach.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Like I said ... and, I didn't have to read a mind to figure it out.... ol' 55 believes he'd do a better job as Maine's coach.

- Never had to coach a team of D1 athletes, never created a game plan predicated on the athletic skills of D1 athletes and opponents.
- Never had to recruit.

Need we go on?

But, he would have 8 Maine kids on the roster, even though he can't come up with a credible list of current college players that includes more than 2 Maine players making any contributions on the D1 level.

Yeah, that would work!

And, it is extremely rare for a h.s. coach anywhere to become a successful college coach.

19: And you certainly entitled to your opinion.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Like I said ... and, I didn't have to read a mind to figure it out.... ol' 55 believes he'd do a better job as Maine's coach.

- Never had to recruit.

Need we go on?

Yeah, that would work!

19:

1.Did watch and scout opponents in person and on video.
2. Did have to coach against much more athletic teams
3. Whole career was based n game planning against better teams in
21 of 29 years of high school coaching. Also, beat UMaine freshmen team with Orono H.S. team in 1967. and Husson JV's twice in 1969 while at Orono.
4. Do not abhor the 3 if you go inside-outside to get it.
5. Could not recruit because of MPA recruiting rules.
6. Had to work with media as an athletic director for 16 years and coach for 29 years
7. Had player off season workouts until MPA put in no out of season contact with players during off seasons except during the summer for 6 weeks..held player works out, team practices games 6 weeks in summers
8. Always checked on players , well-being, etc during off season as well as during the season

From 1962-69 coached in Orono, Maine the home of the University of Maine at Orono.
From 1987-2000 coached at a private college preparatory high school in Bangor. Maine and ran the program much like a college program to prepare my players for college basketball at D-1, D-2 and D-3 levels academically and basketball wise. Played a 34 game regular season schedule (18 heal point games and 16 exhibition games) had 2 and one half hour practices to prepare players for rigors of college practices, big schedule for them to get used off college schedules and did a lot of traveling to get them accustomed to that. Prepared the players for college basketball, basketball wise as well as academic wise in this private college preparatory high school as I was also the Athletic director as well as the varsity basketball coach who had no building program because we did not have any middle school in our program. Players came mostly from surrounding greater Bangor area communities whose towns paid their tutiton because they did not have high schools. Also, coached at Bangor High School from 1969-77.

How is that to help towards knowing about the 7 things you said I never did? 6 out of 7 I isn't too bad. Also, held middle school tournaments at the private high school to scout players who had enrolled in the school or went out to see them play once they had enrolled in the school because could not recruit. We got these players as freshmen and had to get them ready for the college game with an completely different basketball system in 4 years.

Need we go on?????????????????????????????
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:58 pm

1. No where near the level of D1 scouting, film review, game-planning, etc. Not even remotely close. When you coached they almost certainly didn't film h.s. games. Your future opponents were all playing the same nights as your teams. How many games, per year, did you get out and watch/scout?
2. Coached vs Maine h.s. teams with, maybe, one above average "athlete" per team. No knock on Maine h.s. sports, but not a lot of college-level "athletes" play in our state.
3. Whole career based on game planning vs. better teams? Yet, you brag constantly about how many great players you had, and how far your teams advanced. It seems you had the better talent.
4>You know one way to try to get an open 3 (inside out), although there are countless ways to create open looks from long range.
5. Yes, you could not recruit. So, what would make you successful recruiting D1 athletes?? Any real contacts on the AAU circuit nationally? And, the way your teams played, good college-level players would not want to play for you.
As you know (or, as you should know), the biggest factor in college-level success is having talent. Recruiting is the most-important aspect of coaching. And, you NEVER recruited. Your argument is over on this point alone.
6. Your limited dealing with the media at the h.s. level is nothing like what college coaches deal with. Did you ever face, for instance, the type criticism that gets thrown at Walsh in forums like this? By clueless "armchair quarterbacks" like yourself?
7. Correct me, but "coaching,"" or "working out players" in the off season is illegal, isn't it? So, you've never done that.
8. You checked on players? Not anywhere near the extent required on the college level. Not remotely close.

You proved my point. You coached h.s. basketball.
How many h.s. coaches advance to the college level?
College is a different world of athletics.
Every post you make proves you know very little about that world.

Your ship has sunk!
Maine19Fan

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics