UMaine basketball teams need more production from post playe

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine basketball teams need more production from post playe

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Go to "offtherimbangordailynew.com for any early edition of my article for my "off the Rim" column for the BDN sports page for Tomorrow, Tuesday November 21st.

It's all about the lack of development of the men's and women's freshmen post players, the only true back to the basket post players on either team.

They are not only not being developed skill wise to improve enough to be effective but the men's freshmen has played 37 minutes out of a possible 800 and the women's freshmen post player has only played 16 out 800 minutes.

By not playing either much they are forced to have other players play out of position as the post player that are not back to the basket players.

Thus, they both are back to using the 3 way too much and being almost completely guard oriented. Read the statistics illustrating this in the column

That is offtherimbangordailynews.com and asks what important question that needs to be answered for both teams.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby mainah57 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:41 am

I'm not sure I agree with the last sentence of your blog post, stating that the players can't improve at all if they continue to sit on the bench. What about practice? I think it's fair to assume that the coaches are working on developing these players in practice and that players can improve in that setting as well.

If players are not yet demonstrating necessary core skills or understanding of the team's game plan / offense / defense / whatever the case may be, it may actually be counterproductive to the broader team for them to get significant minutes in games (even non-conference games), until they are able to show those competencies in practice. If a player gets major minutes in a game just because they're big (but, say, they have no idea what's going on with the offense), that could create a frustrating situation where the rhythm of the group is thrown off, chemistry among players is affected, etc., leading to the non-conference games not being as valuable from a team learning perspective as they should be. I haven't seen enough of the women's games in person yet to get a good handle on what areas the new players might be struggling with, but I would maintain that we shouldn't just play a player because they are big... and I do think that we'll likely start seeing more from some of these freshman players when they are ready.

I *would* agree with you though that I'm hoping to see increased development of the post players this year. But where I disagree is that I don't think we should force these new post players into significant game minutes (even non-conference games) if the basic skills or knowledge are not there yet.
mainah57
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:49 am

mainah57 wrote:I'm not sure I agree with the last sentence of your blog post, stating that the players can't improve at all if they continue to sit on the bench. What about practice? I think it's fair to assume that the coaches are working on developing these players in practice and that players can improve in that setting as well.

If players are not yet demonstrating necessary core skills or understanding of the team's game plan / offense / defense / whatever the case may be, it may actually be counterproductive to the broader team for them to get significant minutes in games (even non-conference games), until they are able to show those competencies in practice. If a player gets major minutes in a game just because they're big (but, say, they have no idea what's going on with the offense), that could create a frustrating situation where the rhythm of the group is thrown off, chemistry among players is affected, etc., leading to the non-conference games not being as valuable from a team learning perspective as they should be. I haven't seen enough of the women's games in person yet to get a good handle on what areas the new players might be struggling with, but I would maintain that we shouldn't just play a player because they are big... and I do think that we'll likely start seeing more from some of these freshman players when they are ready.

I *would* agree with you though that I'm hoping to see increased development of the post players this year. But where I disagree is that I don't think we should force these new post players into significant game minutes (even non-conference games) if the basic skills or knowledge are not there yet.


MAINEAH57: I agree you don't have to agree with me or my column.

However, I have developed big players my entire coaching career and in giving individual post skill lessons after I stopped coaching in high school.in 2000.

I have seen neither the men's nor women's teams coaching staffs show the skills to give the results needed to give their post players correct post up skills based on the past 3 seasons of games.

That leads me to believe that none of the coaches on either staff were ever a low block player themselves and really don't know how to develop a big quickly and properly.

Their low post players have not shown the following post up skills

Offensively
1. how to seal their defenders properly
2. show where the want the ball properly
3. show when they want the ball properly.
4. after they get the ball on the block how to be able to use the power layup using ball and head fakes to get the power layup.
5. to shoot 70% from the line.
6. know the real 3 second rule.
7. need to recognize where the double team is coming from so as to get the ball to the open offensive player whose man has left them to double down on the post player.
8. What to do if the post player is being fronted or over played defensively
9. What to do if the post player is being held by his defender on the block or on a cut to the ball
10. Special tricks on how to rebound on the offensive board for teammates misses

Defensively
1. Learn to keep the triangle man, you and ball

2. block shots only when the ball leaves the shooters hand

3. do not leave their feet until the player they are guarding with the ball leaves there feet.
2 and 3 prevent fouls.

Those fundamentals our freshmen high school players learned in pre-season of only 4 weeks of work where Maine has a fall individual period to work with bigs in the summer and fall plus almost a month of pre-season to learn the above.

After more than 8 weeks since October 1st when they started practice and all the days and hours of individual work in the summer and fall all the players who play on the block with their backs to the basket should have learned these basic skills that I mentioned above.

All of our high school players knew how to post up on the block so as we could take advantage of mismatches.

Teaching and learning on the block back to the basket skills is not rocket science. It just I guess takes someone who has played that position to be able to teach the bigs properly which it appears neither coaching staff has shown they have had on their staffs for the past 3 years. It appears all the coaching staff members must have played as guards and none were on the block back-to-the-basket low post. players.

Also, I have not seen an offensive set by either team to make the defense pay a big price that allows open 3's or open layups for the double down that uses the correct spacing to make it easy to get to the post player the ball on the block before they are double teamed before they get the ball or even after they get the ball.

If both teams want to improve their atrocious 3 point shooting percentages so far this season they better start getting the ball to the block for the inside-outside kick outs for open 3's, instead of what they have been doing for the past 3 seasons of being guard oriented offensively and not being able to matchup with other teams bigs because they don't play their bigs.

It isn't Maine's bigs fault if they don't develop, it is the head coaches fault for not having someone skilled enough on their staff to do just that, a former successful big low post back to the back to the basket player.

How many of each of the coaching staffs of both teams were low block back to the basket post up players in high school and college??????????

But hey, what do I know? I'm only a former college post up back-to-the-basket player 75% of the time and a face the basket player 25% of the time that made a living on the block by averaging a career double double of 27.4 ppg (lived on the foul line) and 14 rebounds a game and was just shy of averaging a triple double with 8 assists per game. Also, there was no 3 point line and the clock only stopped on timeouts, jumps and foul shots. And I was just 6'1" 175 lbs.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby Blackbear28 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 am

Coach, say your only options at center are either Draymond Green or Michael Olowokandi in his "prime" who are you starting?
Blackbear28
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:28 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby maine612 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:58 am

Coach Cim,

Thanks for your last post. Sometimes a reminder of the simple stuff really matters. Particularly defensive points 2 and 3 about avoiding fouls. If you focus on the ball and the shooters feet, your potential to foul goes way down. I will be coaching these two points at my daughter's practice tonight.

612
User avatar
maine612
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Blackbear28 wrote:Coach, say your only options at center are either Draymond Green or Michael Olowokandi in his "prime" who are you starting?


Blackbear28: First off, I wouldn't have Draymond Green on my team. He is a head case. A terrible role model. I just want good human beings. There is no question who I would take Michael O.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:52 pm

maine612 wrote:Coach Cim,

Thanks for your last post. Sometimes a reminder of the simple stuff really matters. Particularly defensive points 2 and 3 about avoiding fouls. If you focus on the ball and the shooters feet, your potential to foul goes way down. I will be coaching these two points at my daughter's practice tonight.

612


612: Glad to be of some help.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby Carl Parker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Prejudging, players, coaches, referees, without really knowing them is very shallow. Not liking them for how they play, coach, or call a game is a totally different story. Many people in a competive situation can be disliked, yet when you meet them you see a totally different person. A great example is when one reads Cim's post, many would say he is an arrogant know it all and never take any stock in what he posts. I know him, like him, therefore I can separate his arrogance and the many good things he shares about the game.
Cim is very knowledgable but how he played and coached the game is not the only way to be successful.
Carl Parker
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:01 am

Re: UMaine basketball teams need more production from post p

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Carl Parker wrote:Prejudging, players, coaches, referees, without really knowing them is very shallow. Not liking them for how they play, coach, or call a game is a totally different story. Many people in a competive situation can be disliked, yet when you meet them you see a totally different person. A great example is when one reads Cim's post, many would say he is an arrogant know it all and never take any stock in what he posts. I know him, like him, therefore I can separate his arrogance and the many good things he shares about the game.
Cim is very knowledgable but how he played and coached the game is not the only way to be successful.


Coach: Thanks for sharing your truthful thoughts bout yours truly.

When I post on MBR or write especially on my BDN column and BLOG I try to offer a possible positive solution to whatever situation I am criticizing based on all of my basketball experience covering over 73 years.

By writing about basketball the past 7 years has been an excellent way for me to give back to the game that has given me so much over the years I have been involved with the game in one way or another.

"I don't expect to please all of the people all of the time, but I can please some of the people some of the time".

As far as on how to play the game to win, you are certainly right about that,,,,, there are several ways....just like there are several ways to get from Bangor to Veazie.

Drive your car up route 2, ride your bike up route 2. run or jog up route 2, take the city bus, etc.

I just express my ways and hope that some can benefit from my ideas and philosophy.

I have always felt that as far as anything goes "it is different strokes for different folks", or "what floats my boat doesn't necessarily float others boats".

What you see (read) is what you get from me as you well know.

I am certainly not out to win a popularity contest.

When anyone asks me a question, I will certainly try to give them a truthful and honest answer.

My "Off the Rim" columns and BLOG topics or subjects come from questions I am asked about basketball by readers and basketball fans. Others are assignments from my editor at the BDN and some are from myself.

As was the question that lead to my "Off the Rim" column for today and the topic of this thread. I was asked what are the weakness and problems of both UMaine basketball teams and after seeing all of their 4 non-conference games and exhibtion games so far this season either in person or on line I based my answers to what I have seen.

Just my opinion, and like noses everyone has one.

However, I have always felt that you should not criticize anyone unless you have walked (coached or played), in their shoes or sneakers.

Good luck for this coming basketball season and I hope to get to quite a few of your home games this year.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am


Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests