UMaine men's basketball team lose 4th straight in OT

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine men's basketball team lose 4th straight in OT

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:03 am

Ok guys you know it all as usual but none of you were even in a 1A basketball program. I agree with the statement that Maine will probably not leave the America East Conference. Northeastern and Hoftra are in the CAA and it
does not seem to have hurt them any.

I look at the RPI forecasts for both leagues. Frankly, both are pretty miserable.
But in America East Vermont dominates the Mens basketball league with an RPI of 6.
The rest are way behind. As long as Maine remains in that league it is going to be difficult to
attract talent.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/CAA.html
http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/AE.html

I am sure I will hear more nonsense. That is why I rarely comment on this board.

Alright come at me....I don't care what you say. Maine is not a difficult sell for recruiting.
Maine seems to be stuck right now. I just think a change needs to be made. It is a great program
truthfully. There is no reason why this should be happening. I only say that from prior experience.

I don't think Maine is that bad a sell to recruits. Yea it gets cold in Maine but it never made any difference
before and I doubt it will now. Basketball being an indoor sport.
If that were the case you would not have some of the top basketball prep schools in the country,
We are only talking prep schools. No doubt there is some top talent in the High Schools as well.

MCI was a top prep school for a long time.
Bridgeton Academy in Sebago Lake.
Kents Hill in Kents Hill, Maine
Gould Academy in Bethel, Maine
Hampton Academy in Hampton, NH
Brewster Academy in Wolfesboro, NH
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 am

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Maine.html

All you have to do is look at the projected forecast for Maine basketball this year above.
Last Place in a league that is in last place. Compare that to the CAA and the CAA is not much
better except that the CAA power rating is definitely higher and it has not hurt Northeastern or
Hoftra to be in the CAA.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/AE.html
http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/CAA.html

Compare that to the SEC both leagues have a very long ways to go.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/SEC.html
basketball_guy

Postby thebam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Ok guys you know it all as usual but none of you were even in a 1A basketball program

No such thing as 1A Basketball. Once again you show your lack of credibility and knowledge. you are just throwing crap against a wall and hoping something sticks.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Corrections on UMaine men's basketball program:

1. the Bam is correct it is D-1 not 1A
2. dunbar is correct Maine never won the Yankee Conference, the best finish was 2nd in the early 60's with 4 Mainers starting
3. Last winning season was not over 20 years ago, in fact, it was 8 years ago in 2009-10 when they went 19-10 using 3 Miners as starters, Banies, McNally and Bernal and would have had 5 starting of Socoby and Cooke hadn't left the team and they would have been even better
4. Lee Preppers should be added to the prep school list. Thy have always had D-1 talent as I reffed many of their games their from the start of their program until I retired from officiating in 2014. Currently 5 of the players on the Maine roster this year are from Lee. Dusan M., Ilija S., Calixe, Antoms and Wang.
5. I never played D-1 but was asked to transfer from a D-3 college after my sophomore year to a D-1 program, but refused to take the 3rd party offer.
6. Have followed UMaine men's basketball since 1950.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 pm

I rest my case. I played for the Number 5 Junior College in the Country, transferred to UMAINE for one semester then ended up at Alabama. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I have enough knowledge to see whatever decision is made at UMAINE is going to be difficult.

My feeling is Simon should be given the opportunity. Time will tell whether that happens.

It is really a shame UMAINE does have a great basketball tradition and it is a great University, but do seem to have some issues right now. It is a great place to play. I find them being in last place very disheartening.

I just can not understand what the issues are except for recruiting. It all starts there.

I agree I forgot to include Lee Academy as one of the top prep schools.

But this NATIVE Mainer I AM STAYING off this board.

Thank you.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:24 pm

basketball_guy wrote:I rest my case. I played for the Number 5 Junior College in the Country, transferred to UMAINE for one semester then ended up at Alabama. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I have enough knowledge to see whatever decision is made at UMAINE is going to be difficult.

My feeling is Simon should be given the opportunity. Time will tell whether that happens.

It is really a shame UMAINE does have a great basketball tradition and it is a great University, but do seem to have some issues right now. It is a great place to play. I find them being in last place very disheartening.

I just can not understand what the issues are except for recruiting. It all starts there.

I agree I forgot to include Lee Academy as one of the top prep schools.

But this NATIVE Mainer I AM STAYING off this board.

Thank you.

basketball_guy: I hope it isn't my posts that are driving you off MBR.

What year were you on the Maine team? lst or second semester?

Were you on scholarship or a walkon?

Who was your coach?

Seeing you are a native Mainer did you play at a Maine high school, if so which one?

Seeing that Simon coached at Alabama and you went to Alabama from Maine I can understand why you would want to see him get the UMaine job when it opens.

Seeing that I am a native Mainer and have followed Maine basketball for 67 years that is why I favor Chris Markwood as the next Maine coach. He played at South Portland, Notre Dame and then his junior and senior years at UMaine.

However, as I posted earlier that I would be OK with Simon getting the job so long as he hired Markwood as his number one assistant who is qualified for that position as the associate head coach at Vermont and Northeastern.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:00 pm

It is not you Bob.

Its these other guys and their insulting comments. Why would should I subject myself to that nonsense.

I am at the Sacramento Kings/LA Lakers game tonite. I mean Sacramento is not very good but they have a

great Coach. Yes, I am very partial to Bob Simon and not because I know him all that well but I got to meet

him at the Alabama basketball alumni get together and I knew immediately this guy was a great coach. Now you

may say how do you know that. All I can tell you is he knows the game. Now right now he is not in charge but I

suspect if he was given the opportunity he could turn this program around. Three years ago he recruited the

Number 5 team in the country. It was his work and Avery got rid of him to be honest, because Avery knew that

Simon was that good. I knew immediately. The situation at Alabama can get political and Bob is not a political

guy. That is why he will make a great Coach for UMAINE.

Bob also suffered under the same type of nonsense I went thru in 1979/80 at Alabama and as much as I don't like

talking about it, the KKK is still active. As a matter of fact the Imperial Wizard lived in Tusacaloosa in 1979/80.

Coach Newton took a chance on me and he was the first Coach to recruit black basketball players to Alabama.

What people don't know is when he did that he had death threats, burning crosses on his lawn. Some shots were

fired. I mean Coach Newton went thru it all. He took chances on people. But Alabama is better for him having

done that. All the good things you here about Coach Newton are true. That is why he is in the Hall of Fame.

I think Bob Simon was a victim of a Political decision on the part of Avery Johnson. Alabama is now rated 20th in

country mainly because of the recruiting that Bob did two years ago. That should tell you something. Bob is a

great Coach. Make no mistake about that. But he is not in charge right now.

I was at UMAINE in the Fall of 78/79 and we had 50 guys try out and only 12 of us made the JV program that year.

We played 12 games from mid October to late November. Then your former player Peter Gavett came into the

locker room and told they had to drop the program because of budget cuts in the Athletic department. It was piss

poor planning to be honest. I mean you don't drop a JV basketball program in the middle of the season but that

was what happened with the JV program at UMAINE IN 78/79. I was born in Bangor but my parents moved to

Upstate New York where I went to high school. From high school I played at Adirondack Community College where

we won our first 15 in a row and were rated Number 5 in the nation. We went 23-5 in 76/77. We went to the

quarter finals in the Regionals at NJCAA before we lost to the University of PIttsburg at Bradford.

I transferred to Alabama from Maine in the Spring of 1979. A strange road to travel to be sure.

I see the Sacramento Kings right now and then I see UMAINE right now. They both are bad teams but the Kings

have a great Coach. UMAINE has Bob Walsh. Sorry I just don't see him lasting very long. Why wait any longer. Lets

see UMAINE make a move now and let Simon run the show for a while...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:41 pm

basketball_guy wrote:It is not you Bob.

Its these other guys and their insulting comments. Why would should I subject myself to that nonsense.

I am at the Sacramento Kings/LA Lakers game tonite. I mean Sacramento is not very good but they have a

great Coach. Yes, I am very partial to Bob Simon and not because I know him all that well but I got to meet

him at the Alabama basketball alumni get together and I knew immediately this guy was a great coach. Now you

may say how do you know that. All I can tell you is he knows the game. Now right now he is not in charge but I

suspect if he was given the opportunity he could turn this program around. Three years ago he recruited the

Number 5 team in the country. It was his work and Avery got rid of him to be honest, because Avery knew that

Simon was that good. I knew immediately. The situation at Alabama can get political and Bob is not a political

guy. That is why he will make a great Coach for UMAINE.

Bob also suffered under the same type of nonsense I went thru in 1979/80 at Alabama and as much as I don't like

talking about it, the KKK is still active. As a matter of fact the Imperial Wizard lived in Tusacaloosa in 1979/80.

Coach Newton took a chance on me and he was the first Coach to recruit black basketball players to Alabama.

What people don't know is when he did that he had death threats, burning crosses on his lawn. Some shots were

fired. I mean Coach Newton went thru it all. He took chances on people. But Alabama is better for him having

done that. All the good things you here about Coach Newton are true. That is why he is in the Hall of Fame.

I think Bob Simon was a victim of a Political decision on the part of Avery Johnson. Alabama is now rated 20th in

country mainly because of the recruiting that Bob did two years ago. That should tell you something. Bob is a

great Coach. Make no mistake about that. But he is not in charge right now.

I was at UMAINE in the Fall of 78/79 and we had 50 guys try out and only 12 of us made the JV program that year.

We played 12 games from mid October to late November. Then your former player Peter Gavett came into the

locker room and told they had to drop the program because of budget cuts in the Athletic department. It was piss

poor planning to be honest. I mean you don't drop a JV basketball program in the middle of the season but that

was what happened with the JV program at UMAINE IN 78/79. I was born in Bangor but my parents moved to

Upstate New York where I went to high school. From high school I played at Adirondack Community College where

we won our first 15 in a row and were rated Number 5 in the nation. We went 23-5 in 76/77. We went to the

quarter finals in the Regionals at NJCAA before we lost to the University of PIttsburg at Bradford.

I transferred to Alabama from Maine in the Spring of 1979. A strange road to travel to be sure.

I see the Sacramento Kings right now and then I see UMAINE right now. They both are bad teams but the Kings

have a great Coach. UMAINE has Bob Walsh. Sorry I just don't see him lasting very long. Why wait any longer. Lets

see UMAINE make a move now and let Simon run the show for a while...

basketball_guy. Thanks for all the answers to my personal questions.

I met Coach Newton at a basketball clinic at the old Bangor Auditorium in the 80's I think if I remember correctly. I spoke just before him.

We went out to dinner after he spoke. What a gracious and knowledgeable and humble basketball person. I became an instant Alabama Basketball fan and followed them until he retired from coaching.

Who was coaching the JV team at UMaine when you played there, Peter Gavett?

Chappelle must have been the head coach correct? I might even have reffed some of your JV games at the "PIT". As I was reffing from 1969-79 before I became the AD at Bangor High in the spring of 1979.went back into coaching and did several games there the 78-79 season.

That is too bad that Simon's was the victim of politics.

As you said Maine will have a tough time winning a game before they have played 10 games. I just don;t think that Creech, the AD will do anything until after the season as they don't want to pay out money and that is why they didn't do it after last year's another losing season of 6-25 and all the transfers (11) the past 2 seasons. 6- 2015-16 and after 2016-17 - 5.

It would be interesting though if Simons took over to see what he could do with the same players that they have now. I would support that move if they should fire Walsh and pay him off.

The way Maine is playing now (0-5) like they have the past 3 seasons (17-74) do you think that Walsh is listening to Simons at all????

I don't believe so as they haven't changed anything that I can see and I have seen all of their games including the 2 exhibition games against Husson and St. Joesph's both D-3 teams.

Players still determine who shoots, when they shoot and where they shoot from. Still playing an awful lot of players as Calixe is the only player to average over 30 minutes per game so far. Poor shot selection, living and dying with the 3 and right now they are dying by the 3 only shooting 24.6% from beyond the arc and are 31 for 126 for 3's, no inside-outside game to get the 3's, still off dribble penetration or ball reversal, and are shooting 41.5% of their FGA's as 3 point attempts on 31 made out of 126 FGA's.

The only thing new that I have seen is a new offensive set of having the post player stationed at either elbow and they screen for the guards off the ball or screen to the ball after handing off to the guards after the guards double cut scissor to the opposite wins looking for the 3 after the post player gets the ball at the top of the circle. That is it and it doesn't take to long for the defense to adjust to those screens away and to the ball by the post player. They don't even have the post player cut to the block to post up after he passes to a guard at either wing.

Can't double team a post player cutting or on the move and by cutting after the pass to the wing when he gets to the block after his cut it will be hard to double down on him, but if they do when he gets the ball then the offensive player whose man did the double teaming will be open for the 3.

Just my opinion though. Like I said I could go with Simon for next year if they hire Markwood as his number 1 assistant.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:39 am

Alabama sucks. They're ready to elect a pedophile down there! Down with the Confederacy!
mainejeff

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:59 am

You see Bob what I am dealing with....now I am a native Mainer...this is absurd...these guys they don't get it.

Alabama is rated 20th in the Nation right now. I get the Downeast Yankee attitude. I mean I am from Maine but

I also understnad that one has to look at how UMAINE basketball is really doing right now.

This is where Maine is projected to be this year in basketball.

I am afraid it only confirms what I am saying....not to belabor the point.

UMAINE is such a great University and I hate to see the basketball program essentially stuck (mired even) in
last place. The talent in this state and in New England is there. I just don't see this Coach around too much
longer...

Maine

Conference: AE
Expected RPI: 335.6
Current RPI: 297
Expected SOS: 246
Current SOS: 168
Current Record: 0-4
Expected Record: 4-25
Current Conf Record: 0-0
Expected Conf Record: 3-13
Expected Record vs RPI 1-25: 0-0
Expected Record vs RPI 26-50: 0-1
Expected Record vs RPI 51-100: 0-4
Expected Record vs RPI 101-200: 1-7
Expected Record vs RPI 200+: 3-12
Current OOC Record: 0-4
Expected OOC Record: 1-12
Expected OOC RPI: 349
Expected OOC SOS: 296

RPI FORECAST by FINAL RECORD

Here is the RPI forecast broken down by final record along with the probability of the final record:

Final Record Expected RPI Probability
13-16 187.0 0.01%
12-17 225.0 0.02%
11-18 244.3 0.03%
10-19 273.3 0.17%
9-20 288.0 0.75%
8-21 302.8 2.12%
7-22 313.8 5.81%
6-23 324.4 10.43%
5-24 331.8 18.17%
4-25 338.7 22.81%
3-26 342.9 21.24%
2-27 346.1 12.69%
1-28 348.2 4.93%
0-29 349.9 0.81%
NEW!: Change any future/past game to a win/loss/prob(win) and see the resulting predicted RPI
basketball_guy

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics