UMaine Men's BB team drop 3rd straight

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine Men's BB team drop 3rd straight

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:15 pm

Maine drops their 3rd straight game of the young season 68-46 to South Alabama> If you want to look at the game write up just go to My Off the Rim Blog @ offtherimbangordailynews.com and you will find it there.
bcbc55

Re: UMaine Men's BB team drop 3rd straight

Postby mainejeff » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 am

What is up with Fleming??? He's been horrible so far. 2-8 from he & Er every night just ain't gonna cut it. Bryant seems to be the only good addition to this trainwreck. Walsh's swan song is gonna be ugly! :|
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 am

mainejeff wrote:What is up with Fleming??? He's been horrible so far. 2-8 from he & Er every night just ain't gonna cut it. Bryant seems to be the only good addition to this trainwreck. Walsh's swan song is gonna be ugly! :|

mainejeff: I think that he is playing out of position. He is not big enough to be a back to the basket post player and he looks uncomfortable at the high post elbow being just a passer looking for cutting guards.

Put him back at the forward position and junk this new guard oriented offense.

Maine even had Er at the high post yesterday and he has not been as effective so far as he was last year before he got hurt. Remember 20 points against Duke in the first half?

I believe the staff may have lost the team, especially the new players already. Calixe is leading scorer at only 10 a game and nobody else is double figures.

JMO!
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:12 am

What is wrong with Fleming? He is the only player on the team, and opponents can key on him and dare the other players to beat them. Fleming as a 2nd or 3rd option is a devastating player. Fleming as your best offensive weapon is the reason Maine is 0-4.
Linguist

Postby fafan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 am

Linguist wrote:What is wrong with Fleming? He is the only player on the team, and opponents can key on him and dare the other players to beat them. Fleming as a 2nd or 3rd option is a devastating player. Fleming as your best offensive weapon is the reason Maine is 0-4.

Sort of agree Linguist but how is this different from last year's team?
fafan

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm

People: The real problem is they have been "living, no dying by the 3" as they are 21 for 98 for 21.4%. and have taken 42.5% of their FGA as 3 pointers 98 of 229 and only have 37 assists in 4 games which is only 9 per game on 75 field goals made.

It has been worse so far this season at 0-4 then it was the past 3 years of 17-74.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

That 3 point percentage is the worst I've ever seen at the D1 level. Maine really needs to think about adjusting their strategy. There are probably only a couple guys on the team that should be taking them on a regular basis (Calixte & Er). No true post presence that I have seen and no reliable bench scoring so far.
I had high hopes for White and Lowndes but they have been invisible. White has an injury issue from what I've heard. Lowndes has been getting sporadic playing time. Duncan Douglas is just starting to get some minutes off a stress fracture, so maybe he can pick up his play and provide a useful presence? Stojilikovic has picked it up and improved his game but everyone else has really struggled for the most part.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:That 3 point percentage is the worst I've ever seen at the D1 level. Maine really needs to think about adjusting their strategy. There are probably only a couple guys on the team that should be taking them on a regular basis (Calixte & Er). No true post presence that I have seen and no reliable bench scoring so far.
I had high hopes for White and Lowndes but they have been invisible. White has an injury issue from what I've heard. Lowndes has been getting sporadic playing time. Duncan Douglas is just starting to get some minutes off a stress fracture, so maybe he can pick up his play and provide a useful presence? Stojilikovic has picked it up and improved his game but everyone else has really struggled for the most part.

BZ: I have watched all the 4 non conference and 2 exhibition games and I whole heartily agree with your insightful, interesting, informative, truthful and timely post.

Question? Why does the injury bug continue to haunt the men's program? Last year lose Calixe and Er for the season, now White out, Eze out and Douglas just getting back and where are Bristonas, and Wang?
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics