Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:41 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Hockey: BU at Maine 11/17 & 11/18

Postby thebam » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 am

Can anyone tell me why, with any degree of logical sense, why Maine used a different goalie on Saturday after the performance on Friday? Any reason .. at all?? Did anyone ( cough Mahoney cough) ask Red why ? Will anyone actually ask that question? Didn't see any quotes at all from Red in the online version of the BDN. This is an egregious misstep , because this is the exact type of BS that will hold this team back from actually progressing this season.
thebam

Postby GoBlackBears » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:00 pm

There isn't a reason that makes any sense. Hoping red is gone after the season. 5th losing season in a row coming. He's had enough time to turn it around.
GoBlackBears

Postby Blackbear28 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:59 pm

GoBlackBears wrote:There isn't a reason that makes any sense. Hoping red is gone after the season. 5th losing season in a row coming. He's had enough time to turn it around.

Honoring Timmay's scholarships, while honorable was a terrible thing for the program. Recruiting is done so far in advance for college hockey that it's really only been the last 2 years where Red got all of his guys in a recruiting class. The last two recruiting classes have been Maine's best since Abbot, Flynn and Goose came in 2008. Next year is going to be just as good with Adam Dawe and JSS (who is leading the USHL in scoring).
While I don't love Red's in-game coaching, realistically who would they bring in if they fired him at the end of the season? We live in a world where UMass Lowell is paying their coach more than double what Maine is. Even Sneddon at UVM is making more than the UMaine hockey coach. That's a tough pill to swallow but that's the reality of 2017. Unless they drop the football team, which Creech will never do the hockey team just isn't going to have enough money to pay a top-tier coach.
The way I see things Guite is being groomed to take over in the next 5 or so years. Guite is getting it done as a recruiter and has the NHL experience and Maine connections to become our Jerry York or Dick Umile.
Blackbear28

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:59 am

Great post Blackbear28. I feel the same way that you do about the coaching situation. We would do more hurting than helping the program right now if they axed Gendron. We need to get these next couple of recruiting classes in the fold & hope for the best. I think that Gendron made a huge mistake by not starting Swayman in the scond BU game. That being said BU was destined to win that game...whether it be 2-0 or 7-0. If Maine can finish close to .500 this season....it will be quite a turnaround.
mainejeff

Postby Blackbear28 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:33 am

mainejeff wrote:Great post Blackbear28. I feel the same way that you do about the coaching situation. We would do more hurting than helping the program right now if they axed Gendron. We need to get these next couple of recruiting classes in the fold & hope for the best. I think that Gendron made a huge mistake by not starting Swayman in the scond BU game. That being said BU was destined to win that game...whether it be 2-0 or 7-0. If Maine can finish close to .500 this season....it will be quite a turnaround.

The only logical reason I can think of for Swayman not being the full time starter is that Alfie just doesn't think he's ready to handle it for whatever reason. I like Bub and think he's better than most people give him credit for but he was brutal against BU. If Priceless is still reading MBR I'd love to hear his opinion on the coaching and goalie situations.
Blackbear28

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics