ESPN3 1230 WGUY-AM Live Video
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: WBB: Tip-Off Tournament vs Tulane 6pm 11/10

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:55 am

I'll be there! Bob(turkeyman)...are you going?
mainejeff

Postby mainah57 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:47 am

Excited for the official start of the season on Friday. The two week gap between the Stonehill exhibition game and this one felt like a long wait...

Last year's game vs. Tulane was a pretty close race throughout, with Maine up 34-31 at the half... but Tulane ultimately pulling ahead. Still not too shabby of a showing for Maine against a very good Tulane squad last year. Curious to see how this year's group comes out - I think it will be a challenging game, but should give us a sense of where we're at and what still needs to be worked on.
mainah57

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:55 am

Maine Women's Hoops‏ @BlackBearsWBB
Maine, Tulane, Dayton, Harvard - great competition in this year's #TipOff17 Tournament!
pic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DN_s9xDXkAAYYdD.jpg

Maine Women's Hoops‏ @BlackBearsWBB
Members of the team met with the media today to talk about this weekend's #TipOff17 Tournament #BlackBearNation #AEHoops
pic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOEUlBzUIAAKpuj.jpg
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:30 am

Maine women's basketball set for opening weekend

...While expectations are high for a team that has made two straight trips to the America East title game, Vachon says the team has a long way to go.

"Yea of course its opening weekend so if we're where we want to be right now then we might be in trouble. I think our biggest thing transition defense for us really needs to get better, work on that," Vachon said.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/22 ... ng-weekend
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:52 am

UMaine women’s basketball team looking for steady improvement

...“It was not a great effort on our part. It was disappointing. Stonehill deserved to beat us. They were the better team,” said Vachon, who is in her second season filling in for head coach Richard Barron, who remains on medical leave.

“Our kids have really taken that performance to heart. They have worked real hard the last couple of weeks and we had a real good day [in a scrimmage] at Syracuse on Saturday,” Vachon said

“We can’t expect to just show up [and win]. We’ve got to put the effort in and be willing to compete,” junior forward Tanesha Sutton said. “Our practices have been more competitive [since the Stonehill game] and our effort has been great. We have been more aggressive and we showed it in the Syracuse scrimmage.”

For the second straight season, the Black Bear roster is undergoing a major upheaval.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/11/08/s ... ovement-2/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mainah57 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:19 am

Very interesting BDN article. Nice to see the call-out of Saar's performance in the Syracuse scrimmage. Does anyone have any further details regarding stats, playing time, etc. from that scrimmage? Looks like the team didn't officially post anything about it, but since the BDN article mentioned it a few times, I was curious if there were any further details available.

Also, it's kind of a bummer IMO that this tourney won't be played at the CIC... would be great to give these kids some more experience playing on what will actually be their home court for the rest of their season. Oh well.
mainah57

Postby turkeyman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:46 pm

Can't wait. Four games in 24 hours is almost enough. Just sorry it's in the so aptly named Pit. I had been told that UMaine had first call on dates November through mid-March at the CIC, but I guess not. Or somebody dropped the ball, which happened 12 years ago when no one in the athletic office sent the tournament contract to TCU, so the Horned Frogs went elsewhere and Maine had a three-team tournament.

The Maine Harvest Festival is a big deal. I sold there several years, going back to when it was in the Old Barn. I love the festival and will shop there on Saturday morning. But shouldn't UMaine have a lock on the second Friday and Saturday of November? Harvest Festival can be held conveniently after basketball (still the weekend before Thanksgiving) or the week before basketball. Except for turkeys, almost everything grown in Maine has been harvested by then. Can't overstate how much I hate the Pit(s). Were my wife alive, she could not have gone this weekend because she could not negotiate the aisles down to the seats.

Dor Saar has been getting much of the attention following the Stonehill game. Rightfully so, I believe. She reminds me in some ways of Sigi -- remember her? -- in that she has quick hands, is mobile, appears to be fully engaged, can turn on the after-burners, etc. I'm looking for great things from her. I hope for four years.

I thought that after a brief shaky start against Stonehill that Fanny Wadling played well. She looks to be in condition earlier than she was last year. For some reason, many mid-major teams have difficulty against left-handed posts, which gives Fanny an advantage. They don't see southpaws often, I guess, but when they do they just don't seem well prepared to guard them. Fanny may emerge as a bigger plus this year.

Don't think we've seen enough of Katt Williams to say, as Cim has said, that she has a lock on stardom in America East. She has moves that few kids have coming out of high school. On defense, she can reach around without fouling and she can recover and block a shot from behind if her man beats her on the low post. Offensively, she keeps the ball high and has a pretty soft shot. She seems to understand her position, whether by instinct or coaching. I'm not sure of her conditioning. Maine hasn't had a player of Katt's size since Jesse Bruyere (1997-98) who was 6-7 and a wide body. Not to compare the two, because Katt is light years ahead of Bruyere in every category. But a woman 6-5 on a large frame may have to work extra hard to get into and stay in condition. She seemed to lose wind fairly quickly a couple of times in her eight minutes against Stonehill. Do the players still have to run a 6:30 mile before the season to get playing time?

Still wondering about Kia Barra. She didn't participate in the first practice and played only three minutes against Stonehill. She seemed quite the catch when she signed, and I'm hoping that bears out. We may see Tanesha and Maeve Carroll a lot at the four. That Kia is listed as a guard suggests she is versatile. Maine hasn't had that since Liz Wood, who several times in her freshman year played all five position in a single game.

Interested to see how Tanesha and Julie fit into things. Tanesha can help in so many places. It's just a matter of where she is needed and when. I'm guessing we'll see her some at the four and more at the three. I'd love to see her penetration game under control. Too many defenses play her for the charge, and she commits so early on her drive that they can step in and draw the charge. Julie talked in the BDN article about working on defense. It should come for her, because she is good on her feet. When she can play defense with her feet, she will be a strong two-way player.

Last year, Syracuse came here for that closed scrimmage. I know only one person who was not part of either team who was allowed in, and he would not say a word about it. Believe me, I pumped him. So, I guess we'll never learn much about what goes on when the Black Bears take on the Orange. Barron did say publicly that the team benefited hugely from being on the court with a team that good. If they continue with schedules like last year and this (UMFK and MMA to the contrary notwithstanding), they will need early exposure to some really good teams.

Looking forward to the weekend. Just made my hotel reservation so I can concentrate on basketball and not on driving to and fro.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby mainejeff » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks for the player analysis Bob! Always look forward to your detailed & knowledgable posts. I'll be there at least for the Friday games.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:50 pm

mainejeff and Turkeyman: Aways agree with you MJ about Bob's UMW basketball posts. Very thought out, insightful, informative, timely and interesting.

Maybe I will see you both Friday night at "The PIT".

Question for either of you. Is the tip off tournament a losers vs. Losers Saturday and Winners vs. Winners?

Reason I ask is Maine is scheduled for the 2:00pm game Saturday. Usually in a tournament format the consolation game for the 2 losers is before the championship game not after the championship game.
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics