WEEK 10: Delaware vs. Maine in Portland

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WEEK 10: Delaware vs. Maine in Portland

Postby GOOSIE » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Hens' kicking game was extraordinary
GOOSIE

Postby MacP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:21 pm

The video scoreboard replay from what I am told is required by the NCAA and it cost the U $35,000 to rent (ouch!). I assume that price includes the cost of the scissor lifts and cameramen as well.
MacP

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:00 pm

Are we good with Portland for another 15 years? I say keep the home games in Orono. Play 1 major FBS team per season. Central Florida, Central Michigan and Western Kentucky holds no appeal for this fan. I would much rather play Iowa or Mississippi St. Remember when Maine beat MSU? Why not try to do a home and home with like NDSU or Eastern Washington? A ranked team in the FCS from another strong conference, plus the 1 big FBS pay day. UMass, BC, UConn are regional and I enjoy those matchups, but these other FBS wannabee games hold no meaning, other than screwing up Maine's chances to compete for the playoffs. The Maine schedule has been a nightmare for the last 20 years. Do you think Maine will ever get 2 September home games again?? That would be nice. Every year= 1 September home game, Bye in September, 2 home in October and 2 in November. It is junk!! Creech needs to do something to change that!
Blind Zebra

Postby Linguist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 am

FaFan,

You say my logic is flawed, yet you seem to support it by saying a 6-5 predicted record is a good thing. Yes Maine is where some thought they would be. And that is firmly planted at the gate, letting the good teams through the gate to the upper echelon, and keeping the bad teams out of that area behind the gate.

and Muchups,
You are proving my point. Maine might have more talent, Maine might be this, Maine might be that. But guess what they are? Middle of the pack, standing up to the bad teams and falling down against the top tier teams.
Linguist

Postby fafan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:49 am

Blind Zebra wrote:Are we good with Portland for another 15 years? I say keep the home games in Orono. Play 1 major FBS team per season. Central Florida, Central Michigan and Western Kentucky holds no appeal for this fan. I would much rather play Iowa or Mississippi St. Remember when Maine beat MSU? Why not try to do a home and home with like NDSU or Eastern Washington? A ranked team in the FCS from another strong conference, plus the 1 big FBS pay day. UMass, BC, UConn are regional and I enjoy those matchups, but these other FBS wannabee games hold no meaning, other than screwing up Maine's chances to compete for the playoffs. The Maine schedule has been a nightmare for the last 20 years. Do you think Maine will ever get 2 September home games again?? That would be nice. Every year= 1 September home game, Bye in September, 2 home in October and 2 in November. It is junk!! Creech needs to do something to change that!

2018- 1 home game in Aug, none in Sept, 2 in October and 1 in November. Like was mentioned before we knew we had a return game at Yale so we didn't just go with one FBS game another home OOC is purely financial. We may very well be the only D1 school playing 4 home games. The AD is making it very tough for the program to be a playoff team.
Agree with BZ no allure to travel C.Michigan or W.Kentucky. Made it to Lincoln to watch Nebraska now that was fun for team and fans and would help in recruiting, not so much next year. :oops:
fafan

Postby basketball_guy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:45 am

7,200+ at the game. Only CAA game this week with larger attendance was at Elon who is #2 in the conference.

The outcome is a shame because in many ways Maine outplayed Delaware outgaining the Hens by over 100 total yards. They just didn't play a clean game, made mistakes in key moments, turned the ball over, didn't play call well or execute crisply... Unfortunately, it feels like a really talented team is wasting its season with these types of things whenever it plays a decent opponent.

That is not bad for a one time deal at least in terms of Attendance. I would like to see Maine play a couple games down in Portland a year. Maybe add one more game at Orono. Unfortunately the result(score wise) was not what people would have hoped for but I am encouraged by the ticket sales in Portland and number of people who did show up. It just stands to reason it makes sense to play in Portland for at least a few games. If they were able to draw over 17,500 official attendance at Fitzpatrick that would allow them to play an FBS opponent in Portland but a lot has to happen with Fitzpatrick before that can happen. An expanded stadium perhaps would draw more fans which certainly has to be considered very encouraging.

I believe Maine can beat UMASS.
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:02 am

Saw this article about Ohio Valley Conference top FCS teams and Middle tennesee State
was able to play three FBS opponents last year. I thought the limit was two FBS opponents
a year for an FCS program.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football/ovc ... yoffs-ajaj

Though we’re just a couple of weeks into FCS play, we’re seeing some spunk out of several of the Ohio Valley Conference’s top teams.

I just keep getting the feeling that two OVC playoff berths is a lock this season after getting only one last year. Three OVC playoff teams is a distinct possibility. That means other conferences like the Missouri Valley or Colonial or others may lose a playoff spot. That's how it goes though.

Sure, FCS powerhouse Jacksonville State is still a mile above the rest of the OVC based on its resume, but there are three teams that I think are right on the cusp of becoming national conversation topics.

I will say this -- for these three teams to receive serious playoff consideration, they need to be in the eight-win range. A 7-4 team would likely be edged out by a 7-win team from one of the more traditionally powerful FCS conferences.

Here are three OVC football teams that have impressed so far, regardless of what the records say:

EASTERN KENTUCKY
For two years I’ve had a feeling about these guys and their head coach Mark Elder. I’ve followed first-hand what Elder and his staff have done in recruiting, and the facilities have been upgraded. Remember, this is one of the I-AA/FCS traditional powers.

Elder came from Tennessee, where he’d been with Butch Jones. He knows how a high-caliber program is built, and I honestly felt like we saw a sign of it this past weekend when the Colonels took the Kentucky Wildcats to the nervous edge. I could care less that EKU is 0-2 right now, as the Colonels have been very much in range of a win in the fourth quarter against two straight FBS teams (first was Western Kentucky).

EKU will have a winning record this year, the question is will it hit the eight-win threshold to guarantee a playoff spot? And if not, could a tough schedule carry a 7-4 EKU team into the playoffs?

It would still have to handle the two teams below -- but both of those games will be at home.

UT MARTIN
The Skyhawks went 7-5 and 7-4 the past two seasons. But guess what? Four of those losses were to FBS teams, as they added a third FBS game last year and traveled to Hawai'i.

This has been a very strong FCS program for a while, and the way it fought Ole Miss this past weekend (leading at the half) makes one think coach Jason Simpson’s team may have the juice to push past last year’s 7-win mark.

A win this weekend at Chattanooga would go a long way in proving the Skyhawks are for real in 2017.

TENNESSEE STATE
The Tigers already have an FBS win (Georgia State) and are 2-0 going into this weekend’s very winnable game vs. FAMU.

Coach Rod Reed has this team positioned well going into league play next week against UT-Martin on the road -- and that game may end up ultimately settling a FCS Playoff berth, who are we kidding? With former Florida Gator QB Treon Harris under center and a proven receiver corps and a future NFL pick in stud DL Ebenezer Ogundeko, this is a talented group.

There just seems to be conference depth here that hasn’t been around in a few years. Eastern Illinois could also enter the conversation if it gets by in-state rival Illinois State this weekend -- a program that will be one of the Missouri Valley’s top teams.

And here’s another nugget, don’t be surprised if Austin Peay’s FCS-worst 29-game losing streak comes to an end this weekend against Morehead State. The Governors haven’t laid down in their first two games against FBS opponents Cincinnati and Miami-Ohio, being competitive in both games in the fourth quarter.

The Governors’ streak ends this weekend, a couple of budding OVC potential playoff teams take another step forward, and the conference comes away with a weekend the collective can be proud of.

Get the latest FCS Football headlines straight to your inbox!
basketball_guy

Postby joeschmoe2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 am

basketball_guy wrote:Middle tennesee State was able to play three FBS opponents last year. I thought the limit was two FBS opponents a year for an FCS program.

Middle Tennessee State was able to play 12 FBS opponents because they are an FBS team.
joeschmoe2

Postby thebam » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:35 am

If they were able to draw over 17,500 official attendance at Fitzpatrick

This is an example of the huge opioid abuse problem that the president was talking about.
thebam

Postby Blackbear27 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:22 pm

dunbar wrote:The Bonny Eagle-Thornton game is at the same time and actually will draw people away from Fitzy. Granted, they may have no concept of the caliber of football they're choosing, but it's still frustrating to think about how people will choose a high school game over a game between two Division I schools fighting for their playoff lives.

Dunbag unfortunately you are right because Mainers are well there MINKS.....Maine HS football is a joke.
Blackbear27

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics