WEEK 10: Delaware vs. Maine in Portland

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WEEK 10: Delaware vs. Maine in Portland

Postby dunbar » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:26 pm

I'd feel a lot better about this game if it were at home.
dunbar

Postby fafan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:36 pm

dunbar wrote:I'd feel a lot better about this game if it were at home.

Dunbar, any idea of how ticket sales are Saturday? The ticket office had me a little nervous when they mentioned an expected good walk up crowd.
Is the banding hitting the one tailgating section ;)
fafan

Postby dunbar » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 pm

fafan wrote:

Dunbar, any idea of how ticket sales are Saturday? The ticket office had me a little nervous when they mentioned an expected good walk up crowd.

Not great and yes. You'll be hard-pressed to find someone on campus right now that's happy this game is in Portland.
dunbar

Postby fafan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Did the students know we had a game last Saturday at noon, didn't notice too many in the stands ;)
fafan

Postby Muchups » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 am

fafan wrote:Did the students know we had a game last Saturday at noon, didn't notice too many in the stands ;)

I made note of that too. I'd love to see more support from the student body. Even for homecoming (when most of the student section was full at the start of the game) most students had left by halftime.
Muchups

Postby mainejeff » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:12 am

Students are NOT showing up for 12 noon starts. I barely show up for 12 noon starts. I hate 12 noon starts.

The only games that should start at 12 noon are the ones after the clocks are moved back an hour (which this season would only be the final game vs. Stony Brook).
mainejeff

Postby Muchups » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:17 am

dunbar wrote:
fafan wrote:

Not great and yes. You'll be hard-pressed to find someone on campus right now that's happy this game is in Portland.

In the long run I think games in Portland could be good for the program. The Portland metro area has a much larger population than the Bangor metro. There's a great potential fan base. Many people in Southern Maine who might be fans just don't know what's happening in Orono and don't realize just how good the football is at UMaine.

I'm looking forward to a great game on Saturday and hopefully a Maine win that will build awareness and support in Southern Maine.
Muchups

Postby dunbar » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:24 am

Southern Maine people rather go to Bonny Eagle-Thornton than watch their state Division I football program in a big game vs. a longtime conference rival.

There was also ZERO on-campus promotion for last week's games, hockey and football. It's very simple, the students will show up if they know there's a game. They knew for Bryant and Rhody.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:44 am

dunbar wrote:Southern Maine people rather go to Bonny Eagle-Thornton than watch their state Division I football program in a big game vs. a longtime conference rival.

There was also ZERO on-campus promotion for last week's games, hockey and football. It's very simple, the students will show up if they know there's a game. They knew for Bryant and Rhody.

Are you saying that marketing and promotion of UMaine athletics isn't good enough? Come on man. No way that can be true. 8-)
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:43 am

There is no way that they can schedule a Portland game when they only have 4 home games in a season like will be the case in 2018. Maybe a Portland game can be parlayed into a decent OOC game in the future though. Maybe an Ivy or Patriot League team is willing to travel to Portland?
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics