WEEK 10: Delaware vs. Maine in Portland

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WEEK 10: Delaware vs. Maine in Portland

Postby fafan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:13 am

mainejeff wrote:There is no way that they can schedule a Portland game when they only have 4 home games in a season like will be the case in 2018. Maybe a Portland game can be parlayed into a decent OOC game in the future though. Maybe an Ivy or Patriot League team is willing to travel to Portland?

I am remaining optimistic that there will be a good crowd(4-5K) for Saturday, anything less will be a disappointment and probably make it tough to justify another game there.
I understand what Dunbar is saying about TA-BE game but those fans are going to see their town play but hopefully UMaine has marketed this game well enough to draw alumni and football fans in the greater Portland area. I know I have to order 6 more tix to go with my 4 season tix. ;)
Couldn't ask for more, good weather and a game that decides who has a chance for a playoff spot.

Is there any other FBS or FCS school with just 4 Home games, certainly no one in the CAA :o
fafan

Postby dunbar » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:27 pm

I highly doubt they will be another Portland game past Saturday. Why give up home games to a market that doesn't appreciate or understand your product?
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:36 pm

They understand the product...they just don't like it. Many in Northern Mass prefer a 2 hour drive down to BC & watch them play ACC teams. Or a 1 hour drive to UNH to see a perrenial winner.
mainejeff

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:35 am

Maine Football‏ @BlackBearsFB
Football Meets Delaware on Saturday at Portland's Fitzpatrick Stadium #CAAFB

Preview: http://bit.ly/2A02CEp
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby MBRer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:26 am

Maine football gears up for must-win game in Portland

ORONO - Maine football has been a different team since its 31-0 loss to Villanova in early October.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/22 ... n-portland
MBRer

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:17 am

UMaine football comes to Portland on Saturday seeking new fans
The Black Bears return to Fitzpatrick Stadium for the first time in 12 years.

...“(Part) of our strategic plan is to embrace the opportunity that we’re Maine’s team,” said Athletic Director Karlton Creech. “We’re the only Division I team in Maine.

“To play in the state’s population center seems to make a lot of sense.”

This will be the Black Bears’ first regular-season appearance in Portland since Oct. 1, 2005 – a 31-7 victory against Albany. While Maine is giving up a home game in Orono, the marketing advantages of coming south outweigh the inconvenience.

“We look at it as an opportunity to promote the University of Maine and to bring games to our alumni,” said Seth Woodcock, associate athletic director in charge of development. “Fifty to 60 percent of our alumni live within an hour of Portland.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/11/02/u ... -new-fans/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Muchups » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:10 am

5,000 tickets sold as of yesterday. Great news!

I wonder, though, if it'd be possible to bring in some more portable seating. It looks like there is a good chance we'll have over the 6,300 seating capacity in attendance. Also, general admission only and full or above capacity could be a real cluster!
Muchups

Postby yorkcountyUNHfan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:39 am

How much additional marketing was done for this game?
I live in southern Maine and work just over the bridge and I haven't seen or heard any.
I watch channel 6 but don't really follow the PPH
With UNH out of town this game would be a good take for CAA fans.
NH HS playoffs is also going on so the same conflict would pop up for many
yorkcountyUNHfan

Postby Muchups » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:25 pm

yorkcountyUNHfan wrote:How much additional marketing was done for this game?
I live in southern Maine and work just over the bridge and I haven't seen or heard any.
I watch channel 6 but don't really follow the PPH
With UNH out of town this game would be a good take for CAA fans.
NH HS playoffs is also going on so the same conflict would pop up for many

I've heard it advertised on the Portland sports talk radio stadium which has a pretty big/wide audience.

Maine is more talented than UNH this year. If only they weren't located so far away from the population center of Maine and New England there would be a lot more buzz about this team.
Muchups

Postby yorkcountyUNHfan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:34 pm

UNH is down/young this year (not really sure what it has to do with the discussion) but still has an outside chance to slip into the playoffs

I do now remember hearing about it on that station during my trips to the Auburn area.

It's a good idea to try to expose the product to the Portland area perhaps gain some new fans that wouldn't mind making the trip up 95 - unfortunate timing to have it up against one of the top HS games of the year
yorkcountyUNHfan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics