WBB: Maine 49 vs Stonehill 68 10/28 ..

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB: Maine 49 vs Stonehill 68 10/28 ..

Postby mainah57 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:01 am

Agree completely, Linguist & MaineBBFan99.

Thanks to those who provided recaps - since I wasn't able to be there in person, it is interesting to hear what everyone's takeaways were from the game. Keem 'em coming.

There is undoubtedly a lot of work to be done this season. It may be a somewhat bumpy ride for these first few months (and possibly beyond...). Given the tough non-conference schedule that lies ahead, we'll likely see many of this team's growing pains exposed in the coming months, but hopefully they emerge from it as a more cohesive, experienced team. I was first a bit wary of the presence of UMFK and MMA on the non-conference schedule this year, but it's probably a good thing that we have some of those games on deck to balance the ones like MS State, Duke, etc.

I was bummed to see Sutton get 5 fouls in 16 minutes. Her foul trouble was a factor in multiple games last year as well. She's an outstanding player, but she's got to find a way to stay out of foul trouble so that Maine can benefit from having her on the court for more than just 16 minutes.

Anyone know why Parise didn't play? Injury? It seemed she was the only player not listed as having had any minutes. She's one where I'm curious to see how she has progressed since her time off, so I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing her on the court soon.
mainah57

Postby coachr » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:40 pm

mainah57, Parise didn't play because she hyperextended her knee in practice the day before the game. Hoping to be back in action soon!
coachr

Postby mainah57 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:17 pm

coachr wrote:mainah57, Parise didn't play because she hyperextended her knee in practice the day before the game. Hoping to be back in action soon!

Thanks, coachr. Wishing her the best - excited to see her play again soon.
mainah57

Postby MBRer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:45 am

Maine Women's Hoops‏ @BlackBearsWBB
"Every time I step onto the court I have to give 100% and demand 100% effort out of my teammates." - @fannywadling
pic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNe81knWkAA790S.jpg
MBRer

Postby MBRer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:39 am

Maine women's basketball looks for boost in effort

“This [Stonehill game] was a wake up call for us they outworked us 100 percent,” forward Fanny Wadling said.

“To be honest with you it was surprising because they do give good effort and they’re great kids I think the first thing for them was to watch it they saw it and when they watched what we watched on Saturday they were embarrassed,” Vachon said.

With every sprint the effort improved at practice.

But, they still aren’t satisfied three days removed from Saturday's game.

"Practice has been a lot better so I think we have it in us, but for some reason we haven’t brought it out yet,” Wadling said.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/22 ... -in-effort
MBRer

Postby mainejeff » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:23 am

I hope that Vachon was embarrassed as well. :oops:

Still bugs me that the post players saw very little PT in a meaningless game. :|
mainejeff

Postby mainah57 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Judging from how much you are overreacting, it sounds like you are treating it as much more than a "meaningless game"... :roll:

Every single suited-up player saw at least some playing time (all players except Tapley and Barra saw 8+ minutes). Does this mean that every single player is going to see as much playing time as the rest (even in an exhibition game)? No - nor should it. Part of the purpose of an exhibition game is for the team to get valuable experience playing with each other, particularly in some of the player combinations that we're most likely to see when the actual season starts. I'm absolutely fine with our strongest post players seeing significantly more minutes (even in an exhibition game) than ones who may still be learning the ropes, getting to know the plays, etc.

If and when it makes sense for those folks to start seeing more minutes (keeping in mind that there's a lot happening in practice that we don't see), I'm sure it will happen.
mainah57

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 pm

mainejeff wrote:I hope that Vachon was embarrassed as well. :oops:

Still bugs me that the post players saw very little PT in a meaningless game. :|

MJ: I agree with you. If they don't develop a post game this year then they will be like the men's team has been the past 3 years. POST LESS WITH NO'..... inside game and no inside-outside game to get open 3 looks. With no Sigi to create for 3's off the dribble and a 3-17 effort from beyond the arc against a D-2 school, AND I realize it is only 1 game BUT THEY SHOWED NO SIGNS OF GOING INSIDE ON A REGULAR BASIS.

6'1" Wadling, 6'2" Johnson, 6'5", Williams, 6'3" Barra are the only size they have. Williams gets 8 minutes and Barra 3. I again agree with you. Wadling and Johnson got the most of the post minutes in the Stonehill game.

Going to be defensive matchup problems for if they don't use their freshmen size and use it correctly to score inside and to develop inside-outside game to get open 3 looks.

I would think exhibition and non-conference games were to develop players for the conference schedule and tourney.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:19 am

I would go with this starting line-up:

Saar
Sutton
Milan
Wadling
Williams

Seniors Sutton & Johnson really need to step up this season!!!
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:08 pm

mainejeff wrote:I would go with this starting line-up:

Saar
Sutton
Milan
Wadling
Williams

Seniors Sutton & Johnson really need to step up this season!!!

MJ: I agree with your starting lineup!!!!! But I wonder if Williams will get a start after only playing 8 minutes against Stonehill? I hope you are right in your starting lineup above.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics