UMaine basketball teams shut out from pre-season individual

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine basketball teams shut out from pre-season individual

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 pm

The 16 other America East men' s and women's basketball coaches shut out both the UMaine men's and women's hoop teams as they named none of the Maine players to any of the pre-season individual selections.

Coaches could not vote for players on their own team.

Well, this certainly takes the pre-season conference pressure of the Black Bears as the Men's team was picked to finish 9th in last place.

I have not seen a pre-season poll for the women's teams finishes. However, losing annual All-Conference first team point guard Sigi Koizar to graduation and 5 players transferring out,I would say that the Maine women probably should not be picked in the top 4 teams.

I will repeat what I have said in an earlier MBR post that the players coming in are better overall then then 5 players that transferred out. If they can find an adequate point guard I think that they might surprise and even get to the Conference tourney finals for the 3rd year in a row.

On the men's side I believe that they have enough talent returning and along with the incoming players that the Maine men could go better than 8-8 in regular conference play which would give them a home court advantage in the tournament and to be in position to win their first AE conference tourney win under the current head coach.

Also, think that the addition of head assistant coach Bob Simons, coming from Alabama, the 25 year college veteran assistant coach could be a big help if Coach Bob Walsh gives him his ear and he listens to Simons during practices and games.

Bob Walsh needs all the help that he can get after going 18-74 the past 3 years in order to get his 4 year contract renewed after this season. Finishing fourth or better in regular season conference play and winning a tourney game might just save Coach Walsh's job for the 2018-19 season.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics