WEEK 8: Maine at Albany

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WEEK 8: Maine at Albany

Postby oldfart » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:04 am

I was at the game and watched the replay of fumble twice on Albany's Score Board.
Mack's elbow was clearly down prior to losing the ball.
No explanation, no review, no request as far as I could tell.
oldfart

Postby fafan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:34 pm

oldfart wrote:I was at the game and watched the replay of fumble twice on Albany's Score Board.
Mack's elbow was clearly down prior to losing the ball.
No explanation, no review, no request as far as I could tell.

On TV it looked like arm was down and football out, almost simultaneously. Not sure if fumble call would have been changed but it certainly warranted a replay.
So this begs the bigger question in the CAA can the coach challenge a fumble call and if so does Coach H have someone looking at the monitor(TV) for these situations?????
This was very well could have a game changing call, TV commentators thought arm was down as well :x
fafan

Postby tee2green » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 pm

I was at the game as well. On the video board, it sure looked like he was down before the ball came out. Coach H was pretty animated with the referee, however no review was made. It had us a bit confused. With a 5 hour drive home after the game, I did a little research. Here is a bit of what I found....my guess is UAlbany must be the 1 school in the CAA that does not use replay?

From the Stony Brook AD's Blog.....

The athletic directors and head football coaches met separately on Sunday before coming together on Monday. One of the primary topics was instant replay, which will be in place at 11 of the 12 CAA stadiums (including LaValle Stadium) during the 2016 season. The unanimous sense is that the use of replay will lead to a better product on the field. Nothing comes for free, however, and the enhancement means additional costs for equipment and replay officials for all of our institutions. It is definitely a worthwhile investment, so you will see the use of instant replay in action when we take the field against North Dakota on September 1.

and....
From the CAA Football Handbook.....

INSTANT REPLAY
1. Purpose and Philosophy
Instant replay is a process whereby video review is used to confirm, reverse or let stand
certain on-field decisions made by game officials.
The instant replay process operates under the fundamental assumption that the ruling
on the field is correct. The replay official may reverse a ruling if and only if the video evidence
convinces him beyond all doubt that the ruling was incorrect. Without such indisputable video
evidence, the replay official must allow the ruling to stand.
2. Participation
Any member institution may use instant replay, but there is no requirement to do so. If
instant replay is used, it must be used in full compliance with this rule.
For any game, if the home team is using instant replay, the visiting team does not have
the option of declining its use for that game. If the home team is not using instant replay, it is
not required to honor a request by the visiting team that it be used.
tee2green

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics