Pitino next UMAINE hoops head coach?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Pitino next UMAINE hoops head coach?

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:33 am

The last I checked being born in Maine still makes me a Native. I played one year at Old Town Junior high school then my parents moved to Upstate New York where I went to high school down there.

Stand in line for what? It does not matter whether I played high school in Maine or New York. The issue is about the
University of Maine at least for me. All my relatives are from here as well. We have lived in the State of Maine for over 200 years.

I would like to get Matts perspective on what UMAiNE needs to do anyway as he starred for the University of Maine basketball. After reading his post I get the impression he may feel UMAINE needs to make some changes.
basketball_guy

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 am

Is winning so important that anyone would advocate bringing in an absolute slime ball like Pitino to coach at Maine?
Or, is the "solution" to pay players to come here?
Maine19Fan

Postby thebam » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 am

basketball_guy wrote:In the Spring of 1979 I transferred to Alabama and made the team as a walk-on.
I was there thru 79/80 season. Maine came to Birmingham to play us that year.
Rufus Harris was Maines best scorer. We beat Maine by 40 points as I recall. I don't
hold any grudges. I just think Maine has made some really nutty decisions over the years.
Being a native Mainer those are some decisions I don't really understand.

Because we are all sticklers for details ...
Alabama 76
Maine 59

Postby coachr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 am

Why was the Alabama-UMaine game in 1979 played in Birmingham, when the University of Alabama is in Tuscaloosa? Also, Alabama's roster doesn't show Charles Rowell. And the margin of victory for Alabama was not 40 points, but 17. I'm confused.
coachr

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:13 pm

basketball_guy wrote:The last I checked being born in Maine still makes me a Native. I played one year at Old Town Junior high school then my parents moved to Upstate New York where I went to high school down there.

Stand in line for what? It does not matter whether I played high school in Maine or New York. The issue is about the
University of Maine at least for me. All my relatives are from here as well. We have lived in the State of Maine for over 200 years.

I would like to get Matts perspective on what UMAiNE needs to do anyway as he starred for the University of Maine basketball. After reading his post I get the impression he may feel UMAINE needs to make some changes.

basketball-guy: Sorry if I offended you in anyway with my questions about your backgroubd here i Maine. Just interested as I have enjoyed your posts here on MBR. Sorry if I offended. I apologize if you took it that way as that was not my intention in anyway. Plese keep posting.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Why was the Alabama-UMaine game in 1979 played in Birmingham, when the University of Alabama is in Tuscaloosa? Also, Alabama's roster doesn't show Charles Rowell. And the margin of victory for Alabama was not 40 points, but 17. I'm confused.

These are excellent questions so I will try and answer them one at a time.

First I have plenty of team photos from Alabama as well as Alabama Alumni get togethers which I would be
more than happy to share with you Matt, but not on this MBR board. Send me your email address and I would
be more than happy to send them to you.

I left Maine at the Fall of 1978, started the Spring Semester 1979 at Alabama and then walked on Alabama's basketball team. I guess everyone at the time was under the assumption that I had to sit out one year as per the transfer rule.

However, I failed to mention to the the Alabama AD that Maine had dropped their JV program at the end
of the Fall Semester in 1978. Basically that met that I had an additional year of eligibility at Alabama but could not play until Fall of 1980. But that really was not the case. I could have started playing immediately in the Fall of 1979 because Maine had dropped the JV program in the middle of the season. So I essentially sat out the 79/80
season. I never requested the waiver I was entitled to take by the NCAA.

I started playing in the 76/77 season which met I had five years as long as I redshirted for one year but I did not
redshirt for one year.

For whatever reason Alabama has put up the Team photo for the 79/80 team from the summer of 1979. But the problem was three of those players up and quit and two were starters. So they took another team photo in December of 1979 which I am in. But that photo is in the Alabama yearbook and not in the team archives at
www.rolltide.com. I have been complaining about this very thing for many years, but Alabama does not want to
spend the money to correct it or the roster either. So that is where I am today. But as I said I get invited back for
Alumni get togethers and the photos will speak for themselves.

Anyway at the of the 1980 season Coach Newton resigned and I must tell you there is no finer Coach or father figure in Coaching basketball. I mean that truthfully. I suspect Skip Chappelle was probably the same way for you.
Unfortunately for me the Assistant Coach took over the program in 1980 and he and I got along like Oil and Water,
namely Wimp Sanderson. We have buried the hatchett now, but we got into some serious shouting matches in practice. It is what it is.

So I really did not like the look of the situation for the 1980/81 season and just decided not to try out. But low and behold at the end of the Fall 1980 semester, who comes begging me to come back but my former teammate
Mike Davis, who was sent over by Coach Sanderson. I just figured I was a walk-on. He would not offer me a scholarship so why go over and continue getting my head bashed in in my Senior Year. I had better things to do.
Getting a scholarship is one thing but just being on the team to get my head bashed in is another matter. Alabama is especially tight with their scholarships. But the other thing is I was the first player from Maine ever
to be on an Alabama basketball team. That was essentially the situation in 1980. I made a lot of good friends
and Mike Davis is one of them, former Indiana Head Coach.

So I will leave it at that. Maine wanted to play Alabama in Birmingham. I am not sure what that was.

However, I do think the 12 of us from Maine who made the UMAINE JV team and started all 9 games that Fall Semester of 1978 do deserve to at least get invited back for the Alumni get togethers. I mean the 12 of us did nothing wrong. We certainly were not in charge of Maines athletic budgets. It was what I consider to be piss poor
planning on the part of the AD at the time. That should be corrected.

I see you scored about 1297 points over your four years. I scored about 250 points but I am nonetheless proud
of what I did manage to do.

I do feel Maine has got to make some changes in their Coaching situation at this point.
basketball_guy

Postby coachr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Charles, thanks for the clarification. I have heard some of the same things about CM Newton being a good man. Glad you had an excellent collegiate experience, as being part of a team at that level builds character, friendships, and memories that last a lifetime. I do have the utmost respect for walk-ons, as I witnessed some walk-ons during my time at Maine give their all just to be a part of the team. For you to be walk-on at an SEC school is impressive and worthy of respect, and you have mine! Best wishes and merry Christmas!

Matt
coachr

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:22 pm

I am trying to intergrate Alabama now with more Northern players but you know I have made a lot of great contacts.I think Avery Johnson may get sick of hearing from me but so be it. I will keep working on it.
I live down in Northwest Florida on the Alabama border. They call the place the Redneck Riveria. But I have
gotten used to the people and I find Alabama people are good people just like Maine people. We all have our
own ways of looking at things and I understand that. But the truth is we are all Americans when you really get
down to it.

Avery Johnson and of course Coach Newton are game breakers in the sense that they bring a wealth of experience in the matter of prejudice and how to deal with it. I give them both credit.

Coach Newton is not doing to well right now. He lost his first wife
and remarried his secretary. He is living in Tuscaloosa. Just a truly remarkable man. I can not say enough good
things about him and I am afraid he may not be with us too much longer.

I don't know if you know that but when he first signed up his first black player in 1971 the Ku Klux Klan placed
a Cross in his front yard and set fire to the cross. They also made death threats at that time as well. But Coach
Newton did not back down. He stuck to his guns. He was just one tough cookie and I learned a lot from him.

In 1979 when I was at Alabama the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan lived in Tuscaloosa. But you know sometimes
it just takes one man to stand up to this foolishness. At least Maines Coach never had to go thru that nonsense.

Maine is a great place to play College Basketball. The Pitt was always a great place to play at UMAINE.
I sure don't understand what is going on now. There is no finer place in the country to play College basketball
than Maine.

What is going on now at Orono is very strange.
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:04 am

Guess I will keep quiet for a while. Best to let a sleeping dog lie.

Thanks Matt. I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well.
basketball_guy

Postby Linguist » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:51 am

I can't even google Charles Rowell and Alabama Men's Basketball and find anything. Probably another glitch by a major Division 1 university in a Power 5 conference. That seems odd.
Linguist

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics