Pitino next UMAINE hoops head coach?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Pitino next UMAINE hoops head coach?

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Rick is down in Ocala now working with his horses....
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Pitini HAD to bring BU to Maine ... they were in the same league!!!

Maine189Fan: And I had to officiate that game in which Maine won and I had to hit Pitino with 2 t"s it 3 T's to get ejected back then in the late 70's.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Rick has his home up for sale in Louisville right now. He is back at his farm near Ocala in case anyone wants to know.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:56 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Rick has his home up for sale in Louisville right now. He is back at his farm near Ocala in case anyone wants to know.

basketball_guy: I don't care..... let him go back to the NBA (Not Basketball Anymore) league or even go to China to coach in the PROS again where he was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo successful.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Pitino just might be open to the idea. He says Salary is not that important a factor to him now.

Rick Pitino would coach college basketball again — if any school will have him.

The former Louisville coach, fired last month amid a slew of alleged off-court issues, said he doesn’t care about the money — but he would give a school “a shot” if someone came to him with plans for coaching.

“If a school, come April, comes to me in Miami and says, ‘We believe you. We believe you were innocent,’ I would give it a shot,” Pitino, who moved to Miami after the firing, told ESPN. “I don’t care about the money, the salary.
basketball_guy

Postby coachr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Current Kentucky coach John Calipari was in fact offered the job for the Maine men's team after the 87-88 season, when Coach Skip Chapelle retired. I know this for a fact because I was on the interviewing committee heading into my senior year. In fact, when we finished our committee work and I returned home for the summer, I was under the definite impression that he was the guy who was going to be hired, even telling my family that he was going to be my coach for my last year. He was a dynamic interview; made me want to get up and play during the actual interview. Anyway, the UMass job opened as our process was being played out, so he took himself out of the running for the Maine job. When I got a call from former BDN sports writer Mike Dowd asking me what I thought of the hire, he had to correct me by informing me that Rudy Keeling was hired. For the record, I really enjoyed playing for Keeling, but it would have been interesting to see where the program would have gone had Calipari taken the job. On a side note, being a part of that committee with former Maine hockey coach Shawn Walsh was a highlight of my years at Maine, as I developed a relationship with him - talk about a passionate advocate for all things UMaine.

Matt Rossignol
coachr

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 pm

I have come a bit unhinged on this board. But I was also a member of the JV team at Maine under Peter Gavett when they dropped the program in the middle of the season. That was a while ago and Maine had to drop their JV program in the middle of the season due to Budget cuts. I never heard of a University doing that before. I ended up transferring to Alabama the next semester. Chappelle was the head Coach of the Varsity team. I was only at Maine that one semester.

I do think it is time for a Coaching change and Pitino is saying he is willing to take a serious Salary cut. Strangely enough I thought it was really a far fetched idea but if Karlton Creech was a bit of a gambler he could fly down to Miami and discuss the situation with him. This article just came out and it does seem it is a possibility.
Coach Newton at Alabama was my Coach then. He has always said that Rick Pitino was the greatest coach he has ever seen or hired and coming from him and the fact that he played for Adolph Rupp is saying a lot truthfully. I think Creech could get him under the current circumstances. Whether he would or not is another story.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/20/rick-piti ... ng-return/

Charles Rowell
basketball_guy

Postby coachr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Charles Rowell, what year(s) did you play at the University of Alabama?
coachr

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:44 pm

I played JUCO from 76/77 and 77/78 for the 5 rated JUCO team in the Nation.
We went 23-5 that year 76/77 and 20-8 the next year.

In the Fall of 1978 I transferred to Maine and made the JV team only
to have them drop the program in December of that year due to budget
cuts in the Athletic department. One of the most ridiculous decisions I have
ever heard of.

In the Spring of 1979 I transferred to Alabama and made the team as a walk-on.
I was there thru 79/80 season. Maine came to Birmingham to play us that year.
Rufus Harris was Maines best scorer. We beat Maine by 40 points as I recall. I don't
hold any grudges. I just think Maine has made some really nutty decisions over the years.
Being a native Mainer those are some decisions I don't really understand.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:57 pm

basketball_guy wrote:I played JUCO from 76/77 and 77/78 for the 5 rated JUCO team in the Nation.
We went 23-5 that year 76/77 and 20-8 the next year.

In the Fall of 1978 I transferred to Maine and made the JV team only
to have them drop the program in December of that year due to budget
cuts in the Athletic department. One of the most ridiculous decisions I have
ever heard of.

In the Spring of 1979 I transferred to Alabama and made the team as a walk-on.
I was there thru 79/80 season. Maine came to Birmingham to play us that year.
Rufus Harris was Maines best scorer. We beat Maine by 40 points as I recall. I don't
hold any grudges. I just think Maine has made some really nutty decisions over the years.
Being a native Mainer those are some decisions I don't really understand.

basketball-guy: You will just have to get in the line as there are a few of us old time native Maine Basketball senior citizens who have already been in this line for years.

Being a native Mainer where were you born and did you live in Maine when you played high school basketball?

As I was coaching at Bangor High school from 1969-77. Went into officiating in 1978 and then went back into coaching after a ten year hiatus from coaching. Might recognize yo if I knew where you played in high school if in Maine and might have known you high school coach.

I also might have reffed some of your Maine JV games as I worked them in 1977-78 thru 1979.

I also officiated some of Rufus Harris's CBA Maine Lumberjacks games as a substitute cBA official. Worked and filled in when the assigned refs from CBA could not make their flightd to Bangor because of the weather usually.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics