Pitino next UMAINE hoops head coach?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Pitino next UMAINE hoops head coach?

Postby Countryboy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:14 am

NCAA appearance in 2 yrs guaranteed. The legend grows. I'm in.
Countryboy

Re: Pitino next UMAINE hoops head coach?

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Countryboy wrote:NCAA appearance in 2 yrs guaranteed. The legend grows. I'm in.

Countryboy: Did you know that Pitino brought his BU team to Maine when he was coaching there? He lost to Skip Chappelle's UMaine team at the "PIT". It happened in the late 1970's.

Pitino also received 2 technicals back-to-back on one play in the second half.

Back then it took 3 t's to be ejected from game..
bcbc55

Postby Pirates79 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:58 am

I think I'll move back to Maine and open an Italian restaurant in Orono. Maybe a bordello in Bangor?

This guy's been dirty since he was a 23 year old, first time assistant here at U. of Hawaii back in the 70s. His career is toast but he'll get hired by ESPN. He's a bum!
Pirates79

Postby Countryboy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 am

The point I was trying to get across is that X's and O's aren't the reason UM has never gone to the NCAA tourney. Its all about bringing talent onto campus, and there's only one way to do that these days. UM needs a car salesman in the current climate hoops is in. I Love Walsh, but he's used up all his connections I'm afraid. Now I know why Ted was just cashing his checks.

Pitino=NCAA tourney in 2 yrs :shock:
Countryboy

Postby ExpoEddie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:46 am

Pitino not good enough to get a job clearing tables at Mam Baldacci's. Andy Warhol said everyone should get 15 minutes of fame in their life. Pitino got 15 seconds to show his true character.
ExpoEddie

Postby ExpoEddie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:50 am

That should be Mama Baldacci's. Dinner there before going to Bangor Auditorium was just the best with my dad.
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:43 pm

If my memory is correct at my being a real old senior citizen, Maine could have had current Kentucky Coach John CalIpari as he was a candidate at one time but Maine chose someone else. He ended up at UMassachusetts if I remember correctly.

Probably the most qualified and successful coach Maine has hired was Dr. John Ginanni, current coach at LaSalle (from Maine) as he won the Division 3 National Championship at Rowan College of NJ, the year before he was hired at Maine. he is one of the two coaches that have a winning record percentage wise since 1949 and 8 coaches and has the best won lost record for a coach at Maine.

Maine had their chance for a great recruiter in CalIpari,
Last edited by bcbc55 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby hoopsisme » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Calipari was Maine's top choice. At that time not only did he get more $$ to go to UMass, the recruiting budget at UMass was almost as much as what the coaches got paid at Maine.
hoopsisme

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:08 pm

hoopsisme wrote:Calipari was Maine's top choice. At that time not only did he get more $$ to go to UMass, the recruiting budget at UMass was almost as much as what the coaches got paid at Maine.

hoopsisme: Thanks for reminding me that he was offered the job and the reasons he did not take it. You are correct, he was the first choice.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics