Make the call coach sit Ferguson start Staver

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Make the call coach sit Ferguson start Staver

Postby thebam » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:56 pm

So let me see if I am getting this correct? Ferguson basically beat unh. If not for a kicker who sucks and doesn't really deserve to be on the team, Maine wins that game with Ferguson on the field. Then he goes ON THE ROAD to face the DEFENDING National Champs, on family day, in front of probably the biggest crowed he's ever faced in his life and he doesn't play great. Around 50% completion isn't great . OLine gave up 4 sacks, and only 1 of his 3 picks led to points for JMU. Based on this, you guys want to just scrap him in favor of Staver, who , in case y'all forgot , wasn't good enough to beat him out in a month of fall practices. Is that about what I am smelling here? You basically want to "redshirt" him again, only this time he will lose a year of eligibility and won't get any game experience going forward. If you say it out loud, it's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Maybe it's just me, but I am sticking with this kid for the long term good of the program. Who among you, and be honest, think that this team was good enough to win the conference title? Win the national title? Nobody should have their hand up right now. It's a process, but the foundation is there. Chris Ferguson is the future of the program, and as such should be given every opportunity to mold himself into a championship level QB. The kicker cost him a road win at unh and he peed his pants a little and looked like a little " freshmanish" on the road against the champs. You can't pass a straight faced test and say he's been give the opportunity to lead this team to greatness. Not yet. To scrap him now, after 3 games, is nonsensical.
thebam

Postby oldfart » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:39 pm

If you look at other CAA teams those with a QB who has foot speed are successful.
This kid may have some potential with his throwing but at this point he is a pocket QB with an experienced line and yet he can't deliver the mail against CAA competion.
I agree he was god awful at JMU and I don't expect without an ability to scramble he will be the answer.
The defense is spending way to much time on the field and by the 4th quarter there is no gas left in the tank.
This is not the NFL the current seniors deserve a chance to win.
Let's give someone else a chance to show if they can be a winner!
oldfart

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:14 am

The only way Ferguson is coming out of the game is due to injury. I want to ask the UMaine Dads if they saw the back shoulder fade and skinny post pass he stuck in there to Reed against UNH?? Ferguson is going to be a stud. There are not many FCS QBs that can make those throws! Staver had a chance to win the job, but he didn't convince the coaching staff who is at every practice, meeting and workout that he is the better QB. They believe in Chris Ferguson. I've watched all 3 of his starts and I agree with them. He is already reading the field and going through progressions better than many QBs that have been in the Maine program for 4 years. I've seen them come and go since the mid 80's and this kid has the chops.

For those crushing Maine's secondary...they have a pretty strong group back there. Patterson needs some technique refinement in playing the ball, but he is staying in with opposing receivers, not like he is getting toasted. DeAndre Scott is banged up. Getting him back to full strength will help the secondary. Matavou is not as strong against the pass. I thought the Maine D held up quite well for 2 and 1/2 quarters and then got gassed. The linebacker corps has really impressed me. Losing Whittaker early in the game to an apparent injury hurt the pass rush. That kid is playing lights out, hopefully he is OK.
Blind Zebra

Postby thebam » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:24 pm

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/09/25/sports/chris-is-our-quarterback-umaines-ferguson-struggles-in-loss-at-jmu/
Hopefully this puts an end to any BS speculation or nonsense regarding this topic.
thebam

Postby augie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:22 pm

You can't yank this kid after one poor performance. If he duplicates it a couple weeks from now then this subject can be broached. Glad Coach H stood up for his QB.
augie

Postby UMaineDad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:31 pm

I was at the UNH game and witnessed the entire affair. I do believe we have a championship potential team, but "right now experience" is necessary! Ferguson is a work in progress. If he starts screwing up at Villanova the coach should not hesitate to sit him a few plays. Football is not a game for softies. This will be a real test of his character development. This is D1 football! I am extremely concerned about his mechanics, timing, route recognition, and speed of ball. He has been totally unable to perfect the screen pass to Mack that was so effective last season. And he shoots from the hip. What really concerns me is that Coach Cohen is a former D1 QB and he has not corrected these issues! DC threw a lot of picks, but his deliveries were on point. If not for the picks, the team could have went deep into the playoffs last year and possibly winning it all! Picks and kicks made the difference last season. Ferguson may have the tools, but he lacks the character at this time. Coach H is really going to have to shake this guy into character. This league demands more mobility from the QB. There were many times where he should have tucked the ball and ran. You can't teach instincts. Either you have it or you don't. Ferguson has yet to show us that he has it! Only an inexperienced Head Coach would have made those comments. He can't be concerned about hurting this kids feelings. He should be more concerned about building his character and mental toughness! He did it for the kicking crew and it proved beneficial against JMU. He should use this same strategy with his QBs. If Ferguson feels that his job is on the line, then he will step up or sit down! I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. I personally hope he steps up. But, if not, I would not hesitate to pull him!!!
UMaineDad

Postby Blackbear27 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:42 am

Blind Zebra I am not going even address the kicking game it is so bad. I think this coach makes really bad immature decisions. If you can't see Fergusons mechanics break down in 4th at UNH and in the 2nd half at JMU then you really are blind.... He was short arming it into the ground and throwing side arm. Also he holds the ball to long, at least get it to the back as a safety valve. In addition he cannot make people miss on a sack attempt. I think that after seeing all 3 games 2 live 1 on stream, it is my opinion that he is not the guy for this year or any of the years to come. 613 if you think Collins was good than well enough said!!!!!!!

It's really sad for the team because there good.
Blackbear27

Postby Blackbear27 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 am

oldfart wrote:If you look at other CAA teams those with a QB who has foot speed are successful.
This kid may have some potential with his throwing but at this point he is a pocket QB with an experienced line and yet he can't deliver the mail against CAA competion.
I agree he was god awful at JMU and I don't expect without an ability to scramble he will be the answer.
The defense is spending way to much time on the field and by the 4th quarter there is no gas left in the tank.

YES YOU HAVE NAILED IT........ OLDFART YOU ARE RIGHT. JUST LOOK AT JMU QB PERFECT EXAMPLE
Blackbear27

Postby Blackbear27 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:38 am

UMaineDad wrote:I was at the UNH game and witnessed the entire affair. I do believe we have a championship potential team, but "right now experience" is necessary! Ferguson is a work in progress. If he starts screwing up at Villanova the coach should not hesitate to sit him a few plays. Football is not a game for softies. This will be a real test of his character development. This is D1 football! I am extremely concerned about his mechanics, timing, route recognition, and speed of ball. He has been totally unable to perfect the screen pass to Mack that was so effective last season. And he shoots from the hip. What really concerns me is that Coach Cohen is a former D1 QB and he has not corrected these issues! DC threw a lot of picks, but his deliveries were on point. If not for the picks, the team could have went deep into the playoffs last year and possibly winning it all! Picks and kicks made the difference last season. Ferguson may have the tools, but he lacks the character at this time. Coach H is really going to have to shake this guy into character. This league demands more mobility from the QB. There were many times where he should have tucked the ball and ran. You can't teach instincts. Either you have it or you don't. Ferguson has yet to show us that he has it! Only an inexperienced Head Coach would have made those comments. He can't be concerned about hurting this kids feelings. He should be more concerned about building his character and mental toughness! He did it for the kicking crew and it proved beneficial against JMU. He should use this same strategy with his QBs. If Ferguson feels that his job is on the line, then he will step up or sit down! I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. I personally hope he steps up. But, if not, I would not hesitate to pull him!!!

WELL SAID I AGREE.
Blackbear27

Postby thebam » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:46 am

oldfart wrote:.

Is this the seniors first year? They haven't had a chance to win yet? Just stop.
thebam

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics