Make the call coach sit Ferguson start Staver

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Make the call coach sit Ferguson start Staver

Postby Blackbear27 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Ferguson is not ready for the big stage. Even his throwing motion changes when he starts to choke just like UNH. Make the call now Ferguson has to be yanked. Give Staver a shot next game Staver is faster and looked good in spring game. Where was that last pick going?
Blackbear27

Re: Make the call coach sit Ferguson start Staver

Postby Blind Zebra » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Ferguson played a terrible game today, but JMU defending national champs and all, might have had something to do with it. The coaching staff is all in with Ferg and I would honestly rather have that than the musical quarterback fiasco of the last 2 years of Bourgoin and Cosgrove.
Staver has a good arm but he isn't going to be here past this season.
Ferguson played well in the first two games. Let's see how this plays out. Today he played like a freshman. He has potential especially with Wright coming back into the fold. My only criticism...Maine has to find more touches for Earnest Edwards. The kid is electric with the ball in his hands. Game ball to Josh Mack. Love to watch that kid run the ball!
Blind Zebra

Postby UMaineDad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:44 am

Ferguson played like a JV high school QB. His mechanics are terrible. His arm is weak, he shoots from the hip and has tendency to be a side-winder. The best FBS teams don't hesitate to yank a QB if they are not cutting it. Sitting him could actually do him some good! Every game counts and I'm not into developing QBs at the expense of the rest of the team and season. He holds the ball entirely too long and has trouble getting the screen pass to Mack. No zip on the ball at all. I question LIen Cohen's experience as well. Has he ever coached anywhere? Coaching D1 is much different from playing! He thinks like a QB and does not know how to perfect the run-game against different defenses. No one in-expendable! I would start looking for an experienced OC and running back coach if I were Coach H. With the new transfer rule, I would hate to see Mack and Edwards leave the program.
UMaineDad

Postby UMaineDad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:52 am

The defensive backs need have been getting torched...JMU had NO rushing TDs. Our DBs have poor fundamentals. They need to spend the next 2 weeks working on understanding receivers "breaking point," watching the opponents eyes and turning on the ball. Nagee Goode has been anything but good! These are correctable problems that must be addressed now!
UMaineDad

Postby mainejeff » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:15 am

QB and the secondary were the glaring weaknesses otherwise we went toe to toe with #1. Ferguson was just miserable...his delivery was WAY off. He had decent protection as well which made his struggles even more noticeable. Also agreed on getting Edwards involved more! If he played for some of these other CAA teams he would be the most feared player in the league!
mainejeff

Postby dunbar » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:58 am

Yeah let's go back to the short-term thinking and QB merry-go-round of the last regime. God forbid this program develops a four-year starter. :roll:

Two more weeks to prepare for Villanova, he gets a first-team all-conference WR back in his arsenal, and he goes to go home to play in front of family and friends. I think we'll see the real Ferguson in two weeks time.
dunbar

Postby Blackbear27 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:59 am

Coach H you need to act like a head coach and sit Ferguson. He still has time left to mature but if you can't see his mechanics break down in the 4th at UNH and JMU then you need go back to D. C. Ferguson looked like a H S QB on Sat. Sit Ferguson and start Max Staver or the other kid they moved to TE. Who is doing a great job at tight end by the way. Coach H you need to own up to this mistake you made and sit Fergy. 2 picks UNH, 3 picks JMU and that is the one thing you cannot do against teams like that. We need to win now not in 2 years develop Ferguson in practice make the change now! UMainedad you are dead on correct I agree with you 100%.
Last edited by Blackbear27 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackbear27

Postby maine612 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:03 am

I think we stick with Ferguson... you got to place your bet and let it work. If he is the guy for the next three years then playing him now is the smart move...or we will be having this "development" conversation again next year. He has looked good to me in spots.

maine612

Postby Blackbear27 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:08 am

We stuck with Collins and how did that go.
Blackbear27

Postby maine612 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Pretty well. Kid is now in the CFL... Lots of other problems to talk about on those teams.

maine612

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics