Bobby Wilder aims high, and Old Dominion continues its rise

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Postby USA TODAY » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am

Paul Myerberg‏Verified account @PaulMyerberg
My look at Bobby Wilder: How the "Maine Way" has made Old Dominion the most successful startup in modern FBS history

...“The epitome of a blue-collar family, that’s what we were. That’s just what my family did,” Wilder said. “It was ingrained in me. So now when I work seven days a week here, I don’t think I’m doing anything out of the norm of what I’ve seen my entire life.”

You can take the coach out of Maine — eventually, and not until a decade ago — but you can’t take Maine out of the coach. Wilder’s approach to building the Old Dominion football program from scratch is itself a byproduct of his home state — its people, its mentality and, last but not least, its state university, where he played and coached for more than two decades before being hired as the Monarchs’ first head coach in 2007.

“The values that he instills into the staff and the players here at ODU are very similar to the things I was taught as a player at Maine,” said quarterbacks coach Ron Whitcomb, a four-year starter under center for the Black Bears from 2003-06. “We used to call it the Maine Way. It’s a workman’s mentality. You’re not expecting anybody to give you anything and you’re going to work your way to the success you have. That’s definitely been the way we do things around here.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 616142001/
USA TODAY

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics