WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire (GAME THREAD)

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby dunbar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:08 pm

Staver has left the program. Seems like the door is open for him to return, if he so chooses. To me, his return seems doubtful. I wonder if the Belcher move to TE is scrapped to make him the back-up QB again?
dunbar

Postby UMaineDad » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Wright was good as a receiver. A little scary as a punt returner due to his carelessness with catching the ball. I think we will see Edwards exceed his expectations in that role. Mack was actually just as good last year, despite limited playing time (missing 2 games). Led the team in rushing and TDs. I think the comfort level D Collins had with Wright caused him to focus on Wright a little too much. This hurt the team at times. They were too predictable! This new arrangement should lead to the ball being spread around to more play-makers this season. This should open up the offense. I don't like the loss of Wright, but I don't think it will hurt the team this year, due to the number of seasoned players that will step up this ear! I wonder who will take over the duties of pre-game, locker room rally?
UMaineDad

Postby UMaineDad » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Not surprised about Staver. This is an actual pattern with him. This is his 3rd school. What next?
UMaineDad

Postby fafan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am

UMaineDad wrote:Wright was good as a receiver. A little scary as a punt returner due to his carelessness with catching the ball. I think we will see Edwards exceed his expectations in that role. Mack was actually just as good last year, despite limited playing time (missing 2 games). Led the team in rushing and TDs. I think the comfort level D Collins had with Wright caused him to focus on Wright a little too much. This hurt the team at times. They were too predictable! This new arrangement should lead to the ball being spread around to more play-makers this season. This should open up the offense. I don't like the loss of Wright, but I don't think it will hurt the team this year, due to the number of seasoned players that will step up this ear! I wonder who will take over the duties of pre-game, locker room rally?

Another reason Collins looked for Wright more often is he created space and was open more often. Agree the rest of the receiving corps is strong but Wright was still the #1 receivor. Do you have reason to believe that Wright and Egwuonwu are done or do you think they will be back.
Jaleel Reed had a monster game at UConn with Wright out, lets hope he can do it again at UNH ;)
fafan

Postby Mainebearfan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Funny to see that FaFan is still the only guy that will say something positive about Collins. Kid gave everything he had to UMaine Football program and came within a FG of putting that team in the playoffs last year with a first year head coach and O coordinator. If only Coen and Coach H could have been brought in 1 year earlier. Us South Jersey folk think Collins would be in an NFL camp right now instead of in the CFL (which is still a great accomplishment). Any other UMaine QB's sniff the NFL or CFL? Heard he did really well in the Bills Rookie Mini Camp but that they had 5 QB's already under contract. Best of luck to DC in his future with the Ottawa Redblacks and good luck to Ferguson who is another Philadelphia area native like DC. With the potential of a kicking game now, I'll give the Blackbears another 6-5 winning season. Too bad they didn't have a kicker last year. Would have been fun to see that team make some noise in the playoffs.
Mainebearfan

Postby UMaineDad » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:54 pm

Good luck to D. Collins. Hope he eventually gets an NFL contract. All works to the good of UMAINE! I'll give the team a 7-4 season considering how their concentration of talent compared to the rest of the league this season (barring any key injuries)! We need to beat UNH to get the streak going and build momentum!
UMaineDad

Postby dunbar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Staver has returned to the team.
dunbar

Postby UMaineDad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:26 pm

Unbelievable!
UMaineDad

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:14 am

dunbar wrote:Staver has returned to the team.

UMaineDad wrote:Unbelievable!

Not Really all that "Unbelievable", at least not if you recognize that these are very young men who face a lot of tough circumstances and decisions in their Student-athlete environments.

Glad to have Mr. Staver back on the field with the team and ready to step in if needed. Could be a very nice turn of events if, if, if, ..... Things are very unpredictable in a D1 season, and certainly no more so than in the game of football.
It's now water under the bridge, aka the call has been made and it's on to the next play, so let's Kick Some UNH Kitty-Butt UMAINE Black Bears !!!!
TAL1957

Postby fafan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:47 am

I agree with you TAL that not only do we need Staver as a backup that Coach H had every right to keep him on the team even though he missed a practice. Put yourself in Staver's shoes as he transferred here last Winter(Maine being his 4th school) and tried to learn the offense and I am sure he thought he would be the starting QB but was beat out by Ferguson. Being a senior I am sure he thought about cashing it in but glad he reconsidered.
Have every reason to think his services will be needed at some point during the season.

Can't believe one week to kickoff. Can only hope this weather holds on till next week, also looking forward to seeing the UNH stadium and field. Is there anything harder to predict than a first game in HS or College football???
With 8 returners on the offense we certainly have the potential to put points on the board if Fergie can guide the team. Defensively we have big shoes to fill with the departure of Ricard, Greene and Malumba. If the new guys can step I like our chances.
fafan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics