WBB adds a big

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB adds a big

Postby fafan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:58 am

After seeing this post go every which direction it is easy to see how BCBC and Waltwhite are like 2 peas in a pod :lol: :lol: :lol:
fafan

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:04 am

fafan wrote:After seeing this post go every which direction it is easy to see how BCBC and Waltwhite are like 2 peas in a pod :lol: :lol: :lol:

So true lol.

I would probably temper the enthusiasm about this signee. 6'5 post player from Florida that signed in the late signing period. If this kid came from the Ukraine or Austria or something, I would be more excited. But a kid that size in a state that produces a high number of D1 athletes doesn't fall through the cracks. My guess would be that she is a project, which is not a bad thing but I wouldn't expect a ton of help from her this upcoming season. I would love to be wrong on this.
parquetfloor

Postby Crunch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:36 am

This will help all determine what they think. Remember - she is a true freshman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xI_ati0Q24 (Sorry, all, couldn't get you the hyperlink)
Crunch

Postby Crunch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 am

Oops, I did get you the hyperlink.
Crunch

Postby turkeyman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for the link, Crunch. I also looked at a full-game tape of Williams.

Both tapes showed some strengths, I thought, that will be useful. She seems to have good hands. Unlike many tall kids her age, she keeps the ball high, doesn't seem to feel a need to put it on the floor every time she gets her hands on it. On the boards and on defense, she seems to have a good ability to reach over shorter kids without fouling. That will be interesting to watch in America East, where officials may tend to penalize tall players for being tall (can you say short-guy syndrome?).

She also seems to keep her head in the game. She seemed to go right after missed shots, her own as well as those of teammates. She was also quick to the ball a couple of times when someone bobbled a pass or lost the handle. She didn't seem to waste time beating herself up or dumping on a teammate. She just kept playing.

On the full-game tape I saw, she got beat too often on defense, especially by kids going to the right (her left) at the edge of the lane. But in several of those cases, she was right there for the rebound instead of losing her cool over getting beat.

And, like almost all really tall high-school girl players, she doesn't get off her feet often enough. Of course, at 6-4, 6-5, she didn't always need to. I wonder if the history of ACL tears in girls' and women's basketball makes kids shy about jumping. Nonetheless, I did see several plays in which she got off her feet and completed the play, whether shot, board or pass.

Scouting reports earlier on had her receiving interest from Texas A&M and MIzzou. Not sure whether they dropped out or whether she just wanted a cooler climate(!)? Maybe the possibility of significant playing time at a good mid-major was more appealing than splinters in the SEC. I note also that she is a pre-med major. The strength of the sciences at UMaine will always be a selling point for the coaches. Think Liz Wood. Think Lauren Bodine. Think Sigi Koizar. Kat Williams may be in pretty good company.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:30 pm

parquetfloor wrote:
fafan wrote:After seeing this post go every which direction it is easy to see how BCBC and Waltwhite are like 2 peas in a pod :lol: :lol: :lol:

So true lol.

I would probably temper the enthusiasm about this signee. 6'5 post player from Florida that signed in the late signing period. If this kid came from the Ukraine or Austria or something, I would be more excited. But a kid that size in a state that produces a high number of D1 athletes doesn't fall through the cracks. My guess would be that she is a project, which is not a bad thing but I wouldn't expect a ton of help from her this upcoming season. I would love to be wrong on this.

Parquetfloor: I like peas as a vegtable.

I agree with you in wondering why she is available so late in the recruiting season. I know prep school is not big for girls coming out of high school, but a year of prep or a red shirt year might help this player.

However do you remember the Bellangeron girl out of Old Town who played on a poor high school team, but she was overlooked because of that, went to Taft Prep and then came back and played excellent for Bowdoin for 4 years. When she played at Bowdoin she had D-1 skills.

She is now coaching the Women's team at SMCC.

Bob Neal (Turkeyman's) writeup on Kate William is very good.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:57 pm

I talked to a good friend of mine who also happens to be a national evaluator for women's basketball (he has a service that Maine and hundreds of other schools subscribe to). He also happens to live in Florida and knows this kid very well. He said she improved a great deal from last year to this year. The big thing with her is she hasn't been committed to playing college basketball and she has wavered a lot as to whether or not she wanted to play. There were some big schools that considered taking a chance on her, sitting her and hoping she could develop enough to help them some down the road. She is extremely academic oriented and very bright. He said it really is kind of a crap shoot...she could be a real steal if her head is in it or she may not do much of anything if she isn't motivated (he has seen her play both ways).

Let's hope she is motivated and could really be a steal for this program.
parquetfloor

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:06 pm

parquetfloor wrote:I talked to a good friend of mine who also happens to be a national evaluator for women's basketball (he has a service that Maine and hundreds of other schools subscribe to). He also happens to live in Florida and knows this kid very well. He said she improved a great deal from last year to this year. The big thing with her is she hasn't been committed to playing college basketball and she has wavered a lot as to whether or not she wanted to play. There were some big schools that considered taking a chance on her, sitting her and hoping she could develop enough to help them some down the road. She is extremely academic oriented and very bright. He said it really is kind of a crap shoot...she could be a real steal if her head is in it or she may not do much of anything if she isn't motivated (he has seen her play both ways).

Let's hope she is motivated and could really be a steal for this program.

PF: Boy you are really helping out an old senior basketball citizen tonight. That reason sounds reasonable, but boy she would be a steal if she pans out.

She's as good a back-to-the-basket female high school post player that I have ever seen period right now.

Is she 17 or 18 years old.

From what I saw on her highlights she won't be sitting out at UMaine. Good decision to take a chance by Vachon.

Recruiting is always a gamble or crap shoot no matter who you recruit.

Thanks again for this insightful and informative post helping me out. I owe you big time.

CIM
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics