Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:23 pm

driveandive wrote:Birds and animals get inebriated from fermented wild fruits literally millions of times every day. I suspect nature makes the amount of alcohol creates by humans seem relatively minute in comparison.


driveanddive: Good points. But they also don't drive vehicles driveanddive.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9838
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby driveandive » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:01 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
driveandive wrote:Birds and animals get inebriated from fermented wild fruits literally millions of times every day. I suspect nature makes the amount of alcohol creates by humans seem relatively minute in comparison.


driveanddive: Good points. But they also don't drive vehicles driveanddive.

No, they just fly into our camp windows and knock themselves unconscious.

Gambling and alcohol are the major reasons sports in general are so popular and profitable these days.
User avatar
driveandive
 
Posts: 2726
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:05 pm

driveandive wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:
driveandive wrote:Birds and animals get inebriated from fermented wild fruits literally millions of times every day. I suspect nature makes the amount of alcohol creates by humans seem relatively minute in comparison.


driveanddive: Good points. But they also don't drive vehicles driveanddive.

No, they just fly into our camp windows and knock themselves unconscious.

Gambling and alcohol are the major reasons sports in general are so popular and profitable these days.


driveanddive: Excellent points, I just don't like to see the A's amateur athletics and alcohol mixed together at high school or college sports.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9838
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:40 pm

thebam wrote:This has gotten incredibly ridiculous. Selling beer at concessions at college games not only improves the fan experience ( which was the point of this exercise in case some of you forgot) but it also improves the bottom line of the Athletic Department. It is highly profitable and schools all over the country and seeing big numbers from the sale of cold beer at football and baseball for sure. It's a no brainer. Maine should be selling at hockey, basketball, baseball, football .. anywhere there is a concession stand, there should be cold beer. Those that want it, or don't care either way, vastly out number those that think it's a bad idea because of an anti alcohol agenda.


BAM: You make a good case for improving the fan experience for 2017-18 at UMaine by allowing the sale of alcohol at home sporting events.

However, just because I don't agree with you and the majority about this it in no way made this thread topic incredibly ridiculous nor did it take this thread off topic.

There are usually 2 sides to every story or every coin.

I would rather have UMaine try to increase attendance an improve my fan experience by trying to develop WINNING TEAMS WITH MAINE KIDS CONTRIBUTING instead of losing teams and trying to improve the fans experience for 2017-18 by the sale of alcohol.

As a former high school and college basketball player, physical education and health teacher and athletic director I have always thought the the A's don't mix, AMATEUR ATHLETICS at alcohol at any high school or college athletic event.

Just my opinion. So just have to agree to disagree on this one BAM.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9838
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby thebam » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:31 am

bcbc55 wrote:
thebam wrote:This has gotten incredibly ridiculous. Selling beer at concessions at college games not only improves the fan experience ( which was the point of this exercise in case some of you forgot) but it also improves the bottom line of the Athletic Department. It is highly profitable and schools all over the country and seeing big numbers from the sale of cold beer at football and baseball for sure. It's a no brainer. Maine should be selling at hockey, basketball, baseball, football .. anywhere there is a concession stand, there should be cold beer. Those that want it, or don't care either way, vastly out number those that think it's a bad idea because of an anti alcohol agenda.


BAM: You make a good case for improving the fan experience for 2017-18 at UMaine by allowing the sale of alcohol at home sporting events.

However, just because I don't agree with you and the majority about this it in no way made this thread topic incredibly ridiculous nor did it take this thread off topic.

There are usually 2 sides to every story or every coin.

I would rather have UMaine try to increase attendance an improve my fan experience by trying to develop WINNING TEAMS WITH MAINE KIDS CONTRIBUTING instead of losing teams and trying to improve the fans experience for 2017-18 by the sale of alcohol.

As a former high school and college basketball player, physical education and health teacher and athletic director I have always thought the the A's don't mix, AMATEUR ATHLETICS at alcohol at any high school or college athletic event.

Just my opinion. So just have to agree to disagree on this one BAM.

I read a post that talked about birds getting drunk off berries.. come on. RIDICULOUS.
User avatar
thebam
 
Posts: 4447
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby thebam » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:38 am

Additonally, the " fan experience" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with wins and losses. At the end of the day, after you get home and your spouse asks how the game was, you should be able to say, well, Maine lost , or won, but I still had a good time. I'm glad I went. That's the point. Win or lose. Did you have a good time and will you go again. 3 years ago I went to the Texas Bowl. My beloved Longhorns were thoroughly embarrassed by Arkansas. That didn't erase the fact that I still had a great " fan experience" in Houston.
User avatar
thebam
 
Posts: 4447
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:23 am

Okay, it has been suggested that UMaine offer beer (and wine ?) at events in order to "Improve the fan experience", which is a pretty reasonable suggestion. And, some don't agree that it's a good idea cuz they are teetotalers and don't want to be around people consuming alcohol, responsibly or otherwise, an opinion and perspective they are certainly entitled to (just stay home ?).

Can we now just QUIT on the back and forth on this for the last several pages and get back to the broader topic ? You want to endlessly debate this specific topic - start a stand alone thread and have at it, but stop derailing this one. IMNSHO. Thank-You.

Anyone even still remember this ..... ??? ---->>>

JDiamond wrote:Hi Everyone,

On behalf of UMaine Athletics, I would first like to thank all of you for your support of Black Bear Athletics. We strive to make Black Bear Nation proud of the university and the State of Maine in everything we do, and would love your feedback on ways that we can achieve that.

Like many of you, I am a life-long Black Bear fan, and have been lucky enough to become involved in the department in areas including marketing, ticketing, and the fan experience. The past year we implemented a fair number of changes to these areas, including a restructuring of ticket pricing for football and hockey, a new tailgating setup, eliminating parking and tailgating fees, new benefits for Season Members, redesigning the website, and improved video-streaming. While there was a lot of positive feedback on many of these areas, we want to continue to develop new ways to improve the fan experience and grow the fan base.

There are a lot of highlights from the past season that demonstrate the strength of Black Bear Nation. Maine Football had the largest attendance growth in all of FCS football, and the 2nd largest in all of Division 1. The tailgate atmosphere was incredible. Men's Hockey had the largest attendance growth in Hockey East and the largest in the last 10 years of the program. For the third consecutive year, women's basketball lead the America East in attendance. The number of live online viewers of the video streams more than doubled, as did social media engagement. This support is extremely noticeable and important to our student-athletes and the university.

We absolutely understand that winning and representing the university and state positively are important to you all. We want to know what other areas we can focus on that will help improve your experience as a fan and help grow our fan base. We truly appreciate your feedback and support!

Best,
John Diamond
Assistant Athletic Director
Marketing, Promotions, Ticketing
TAL1957
 
Posts: 4828
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby driveandive » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 am

It would be better for me (and my Father) personally to have football games at night (Sundays would be best but that's not going to happen). My highest priority on fall Saturdays is hunting, and most of us hunters are football fans. Even a 4PM game is too early.
User avatar
driveandive
 
Posts: 2726
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:59 pm

driveandive wrote:It would be better for me (and my Father) personally to have football games at night (Sundays would be best but that's not going to happen). My highest priority on fall Saturdays is hunting, and most of us hunters are football fans. Even a 4PM game is too early.


driveanddive: What about a 6:00pm start on Saturdays?

I don't care what time they start as I can/could not get interested in a game that only has the ball in play 1/4 of the game time and whose ball when it hits the field's surface you have no idea which direction the ball is going to bounce.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9838
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby fafan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:26 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
driveandive wrote:It would be better for me (and my Father) personally to have football games at night (Sundays would be best but that's not going to happen). My highest priority on fall Saturdays is hunting, and most of us hunters are football fans. Even a 4PM game is too early.


driveanddive: What about a 6:00pm start on Saturdays?

I don't care what time they start as I can/could not get interested in a game that only has the ball in play 1/4 of the game time and whose ball when it hits the field's surface you have no idea which direction the ball is going to bounce.


All this crap about tailgating and alcohol and you don't even like football, go figure :o :o :o
fafan
 
Posts: 3441
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 am

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aechamps, bcbc55, fromthebench, Google Adsense [Bot], mainejeff, thebam and 75 guests